U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,424,281 times

Advertisements

People in England are often proud of supporting their local teams, whatever division they may be in, (in almost hipster-esque fasion) and then like to bust chops about the MLS not being up to snuff and why would anyone follow. Ironic isn't it?

I support both my local team and my favorite team to watch and i guarantee a LOT of people who watch the MLS do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 PM

7,548 posts, read 16,381,882 times
It does seem to me that the majority of people who watch European football and rag on MLS havent watched a game or watched a game just to moan about it so you cant enjoy that. Its all about local football for me, I dont mind supporting teams yonder but give MLS a try, its good. I know many in England/Ireland that watch MLS, but it is funny that many from the US that watch EPL refuse to watch MLS.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:11 PM

358 posts, read 359,643 times
The crowd for that game was pretty impressive. Although it's not much different than the annual NFL game in London that draws 80,000+ every year. It's a novelty to see the two biggest soccer teams in the world play each other.

We just need that enthusiasm to translate to MLS attendance. MLS is making changes to it's salary cap and TV deal, so being able to retain talent will increase.

The USA has a high population and wealth, so it's only a matter of time before we start producing some top talent and make a strong World Cup run.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:47 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,764,098 times
Over time it will get better in the US.. it was certainly impressive

Old 08-04-2014, 10:53 PM

827 posts, read 1,206,911 times
I wasn't surprised that the stadium was packed! The idea that soccer is not popular and the US hates it resides in the mind of dumb right wingers who think soccer represents a threat to the "i was born free" american lifestyle. I have met plenty of NBA fans for example who love soccer and follow Man U. There are many second generation mexican americans who follow their ancestor teams and watch liga mx religiously. I for one love baseball with all my heart but have been following Barca since 2004. Then there are those who watch MLS. All in all, soccer is doing fine here.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 AM

It was between the two biggest teams in the world as well, commercial wise.. not surprised it got a big turnout.. would have been similar if there was a large enough stadium in Europe for them

Old 08-05-2014, 03:40 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,416,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You can still produce some top class talent without a world class national league, Ireland has done well over the years despite the League of Ireland being an inconvenience to the FAI.

I think people need to just watch it instead of moaning about a league they have never actually watched.
A couple things:
*How many times have I heard, "I watched a game once, the quality was terrible." The first Brazilian game I watched I thought was terrible, but then I got used to the style of play. It was a different game than I was used to. MLS quality is definitely improving, still not amazing, but much better than it used to be. There are flashes of brilliance coupled with mistakes, but overall it is a good quality league.

*Soccer is the only sport that I follow more than 1 team. In baseball I follow one team, the team I grew up with...same with Football. Actually, watching any baseball game without my team in it, I find intensely non-interesting. But then I'll watch the Galaxy, or Seattle, TFC, or the Red Bulls, etc...and we record every Fire game now.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
A couple things:
*How many times have I heard, "I watched a game once, the quality was terrible." The first Brazilian game I watched I thought was terrible, but then I got used to the style of play. It was a different game than I was used to. MLS quality is definitely improving, still not amazing, but much better than it used to be. There are flashes of brilliance coupled with mistakes, but overall it is a good quality league.

*Soccer is the only sport that I follow more than 1 team. In baseball I follow one team, the team I grew up with...same with Football. Actually, watching any baseball game without my team in it, I find intensely non-interesting. But then I'll watch the Galaxy, or Seattle, TFC, or the Red Bulls, etc...and we record every Fire game now.
Hmm it seems that many Americans have several teams that they support, it would be interesting to know why this is the case with football (soccer). In Europe many people are very fiercely associated to just one team (except local lower division sides are normally supported as well)

Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,533,279 times
Portland timbers - MLS

Liverpool FC - EPL

Juventus - Serie A

And FC Barcelona - La Liga

Yeah I support all those teams

Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,139,877 times
The record breaking crowd was impressive. ManU played fun -to-watch football.

In terms of the MLS give it some more time. The MLS is gaining in popularity/viewership. Once the league and owners make more money (through lucrative TV deals and sponsorships) the owners will afford to bring over top players from other countries. As a result the quality of MLS will surely improve. Like I said. It will take some time. In the meantime I think MLS should improve its marketing nationally and regionally. Image is EVERYTHING!

(Go Real Salt Lake!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or