U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:37 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,271,657 times

Advertisements

This was more likely caused by the post World Cup withdrawls some of us are still experiencing. Nevertheless, it is Record Breaking and proof that football/fútbol/soccer is gaining popularity in the USA.

BBC Sport - Manchester United defeat Real Madrid 3-1 in front of record crowd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 03:46 PM

750 posts, read 920,478 times
I was there, it was a great game despite of the fact they did not play with their main squads, especially Real Madrid. Van Gaal already changed the way MU plays. They look good.

Last edited by Indyking; 08-03-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 04:13 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,776,386 times
Agree.. Man Utd look far better than under Moyes.. what a shambles that appointment was

Old 08-04-2014, 08:41 AM

Yeah... Moyes may have done a good job with Everton but his work with MU was a disaster.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,426,347 times
Some people on forums were asking for more time for Moyes. I was like NO, we've seen what he can do and it's not working, more time will only make things worse. I can only imagine what would have occurred had he been directing the signings during this transfer window...fellaini anyone?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,472,879 times
And they say soccer doesn't have much popularity in the US....

Old 08-04-2014, 11:48 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,657,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
And they say soccer doesn't have much popularity in the US....
I don't think that there is a question as to soccer's popularity in the US. I think that what the US lacks in, compared to the rest of the world, is a strong national league and the ability to produce world class players.

I think there is a good portion of the nation that enjoys watching world class soccer games, and follows teams in other leagues around the world. However, I would fathom that a majority of people that follow other teams in other country's leagues, do not follow a team in the MLS.

Further, by not having a prestigious national soccer league, we cannot produce the world class talent that other nations can produce. When children in the US show any sports-skill, they are immediately pushed into sports like hockey, baseball, football, or basketball. Most children start out playing soccer, but give up rather quickly, as they are taught there isn't as much of a future in that sport as one of the other premier sports in the US.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:31 PM

245 posts, read 256,223 times
Soccer is popular in the US and it is gaining more popularity. I don't care if it doesn't become more popular than any of the big four major sports as long as a lot of people follow it and enjoy it. I like Soccer and also like Basketball and Hockey.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
Soccer is popular in the US and it is gaining more popularity. I don't care if it doesn't become more popular than any of the big four major sports as long as a lot of people follow it and enjoy it. I like Soccer and also like Basketball and Hockey.
That is just fine as long you don't expect the US to do a good job in the WC and also don't expect the MLS to become a worldwide reputable league anytime soon, or should I say ever?

Old 08-04-2014, 01:50 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,394,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Further, by not having a prestigious national soccer league, we cannot produce the world class talent that other nations can produce. When children in the US show any sports-skill, they are immediately pushed into sports like hockey, baseball, football, or basketball. Most children start out playing soccer, but give up rather quickly, as they are taught there isn't as much of a future in that sport as one of the other premier sports in the US.
You can still produce some top class talent without a world class national league, Ireland has done well over the years despite the League of Ireland being an inconvenience to the FAI.

I think people need to just watch it instead of moaning about a league they have never actually watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or