Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 02:21 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
He was the property of Bayer Leverkusen from 1999-2005 getting only 7 senior caps (and 28 youth apps). To me this was an example of what not to do with a career, languishing mostly on the bench in spite of being on a pretty prestigious club. It was saved by a loan move to San Jose/MLS where he made his name.

The LA Galaxy bought him in 2005 who loaned him once to Bayern Munich and twice to Everton where he really impressed.

I think level of club play is overrated in determining ultimate level in international play. You could argue that Champions and Europa level clubs burn their players out from too many matches. And we all know top players who have played very poorly for their countries in big tournaments... Steven Gerrard anyone?

But it's a bit of a shame, Donovan is still pretty dang good, he showed a bucket of skills to get the game winner vs Bayern Munich the other day. And Klinsmann really screwed him (and US soccerfans) over not bringing him to Brazil. I really think we would have made it out of the group with him being our first attacker off the bench.
We did make it out of the group.

I would have taken LD over Wondo or Davis though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:39 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
We did make it out of the group.

I would have taken LD over Wondo or Davis though.
Oops, correct, maybe beaten Belgium then...

Old 08-09-2014, 07:51 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
I don't think so..

I know the US are an up and coming team and will get better, I still find it ridiculous that some commentators on the pre season games recently have been saying they will be contenders in 2018/2022

Far too early to say that, and just not true IMO

Old 08-09-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I don't think so..

I know the US are an up and coming team and will get better, I still find it ridiculous that some commentators on the pre season games recently have been saying they will be contenders in 2018/2022

Far too early to say that, and just not true IMO
That's about the time when our youth academy system will start producing a larger number of technical players . You have to realize that we've only had a youth academy system for about five years and have mostly been relying on University boys for our international rosters. We've gotten as far as we have in the World Cup (quarterfinal in 2002, round of 16 in 10' and 14') because of our work rate. Once we combine the work rate with technical ability we become a contender. 2022 sounds about right.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:59 PM

750 posts, read 1,065,085 times
Quote:
That's about the time when our youth academy system will start producing a larger number of technical players . You have to realize that we've only had a youth academy system for about five years and have mostly been relying on University boys for our international rosters. We've gotten as far as we have in the World Cup (quarterfinal in 2002, round of 16 in 10' and 14') because of our work rate. Once we combine the work rate with technical ability we become a contender. 2022 sounds about right.
I don't know about that. How long does Mexico have a youth system in place and are still not contenders? I think the issue is a little more complex.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:08 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
People are in dreamland if they think we have any kind of chance in 2018 or 2022. The US where on par with Ghana and where outplayed by everyone else in the WC.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
But lots of teams that have better technical players are not contenders yet.

I understand that US will get better, but when teams such as England, Croatia, Portugal, Mexico, SA teams, Russia etc are not even considered contenders, yet have had good academy systems for years.. it takes a special set of players to all come through at the right time, along with some experience

Old 08-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
People are in dreamland if they think we have any kind of chance in 2018 or 2022. The US where on par with Ghana and where outplayed by everyone else in the WC.
We out played Portugal. Eight years is a long time.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
We out played Portugal. Eight years is a long time.
There are so many other teams though, only about 4 or 5 teams in the world are real contenders.. until the US produces players such as Aguero, Kroos, Ozil etc it won't happen.

Better academies will not = Kroos, Aguero type players just appearing

Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
There are so many other teams though, only about 4 or 5 teams in the world are real contenders.. until the US produces players such as Aguero, Kroos, Ozil etc it won't happen.

Better academies will not = Kroos, Aguero type players just appearing
I somewhat agree with you. But I think there is something unique about the American attitude. A country's football team mirrors its culture. The Germans are efficient, the Brazilians flamboyant, the Americans have a great work rate. Look at England. They get down a goal and you can see it in their body language. They start to play demoralized and the English pessimism sets in.

I'm not saying that by 2022 the USNT will be contenders to win the World Cup. I want to pull that back a little. But I think they will be contending in the sense that they could beat anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer