U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 08:21 AM

14,341 posts, read 14,209,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
It'll be interesting to see how marketable Gerrard is in America. Surely he will be levels below Beckham who consistently put butts in the seats and gave the league its biggest era of attention.

But Gerrard will be more popular than Thierry Henry whose star power was barely noticeable.
Coincidentally I just saw this;

BBC Sport - Steven Gerrard: Liverpool captain set for LA Galaxy move
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,666,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
It'll be interesting to see how marketable Gerrard is in America. Surely he will be levels below Beckham who consistently put butts in the seats and gave the league its biggest era of attention.

But Gerrard will be more popular than Thierry Henry whose star power was barely noticeable.
I don't see Gerrard or Lampard being a big splash in the US. They don't have the star power necessary to be a Becks type of player. They'll both do well for their teams, but they won't be the "star" for the MLS that people are hoping for.

Now, if a player like Zlatan or Robben or Xavi were to come to the MLS, they would have a bigger following that Gerrard and Lampard. Really the only people that care about those 2 are English fans (and specifically fans of the teams they played for...and Lampard is doing a wonderful job at alienating all Chelsea fans! LOL).

Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,727,959 times
^
Well certainly an era will end at Liverpool when Gerrard comes to visit the former 'colony'!
They'll have to deal with the change just like Gerrard will.

Thing is I' m just curious how Gerrard, the Liverpool lad, will make the transition to La La land and living here. Maybe it'll be no big deal. I figure he will make a good ambassador here for Liverpool in the States. Perhaps they'll pick up some more supporters for the coffers back home. Hey who knows maybe he'll start a 'Gerrard' Academy of Football Excellence!'. If he prices it right he's in!

As for Gerrard's future outside of MLS personally I just don't see him as a Liverpool manager but rather probably filling a technical position there where his intensity and football intelligence can be brought to bear to improve individual and team performance. He could be a great asset there in my opinion.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:37 AM

I decided to post on this thread as the player concerned plays in this league.

I don't watch England play as a rule- it's far too painful.

However I did turn the TV on just as Harry Kane came on as a sub against Lithuania last week.

There was such excitement amongst the crowd.

It took him all of 79 seconds to score!

Now I don't want to build up any more hype about this young player, but it does frustrate me that Hodgson, who is still the manager after the bloody farce in Brazil, is too conservative.

Anyhow, with players dropping out of the friendly against Italy tonight, Kane starts for England.

Still not sure that I can bear to watch though!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:44 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,140,400 times
A home town boy scoring goal of the season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB5MyCtOULo

Old 04-04-2015, 01:54 PM

Thanks for that- I read about it on the BBC live report.

Arsenal did well today- or is that Liverpool were inept, or a bit of both?

Old 04-04-2015, 06:37 PM

5,428 posts, read 6,423,558 times
Diego Costa out again with a hamstring injury. Seriously what is it with this guy injuring himself every year LATE in the season?

Old 04-04-2015, 07:35 PM

11,455 posts, read 6,485,941 times
Honestly Angel Di Maria hasn't been bad, his shooting is off this year but he's playing in a new league under a completely new system. And he still has the second most assists in the league

Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 PM

There's some twists and turns for the top spots in the PL, but for sheer drama it's manic at the top of the Championship atm.

Unbelievably my local team Bournemouth, who were promoted to the Championship only two seasons ago are yet again top with only a few games to go, but it is massively tight;

BBC Sport - Football - Tables

(Switch to Championship)

Old 04-06-2015, 03:21 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,140,400 times
♪ You say that you love me all of the time. You say that you need me you'll always be mine. I'm feelin' glad all over. Yes, I'm-a glad all over ♫

Well done Palace! I am going down for the Speroni testimonial v Dundee, can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer