U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:47 PM

750 posts, read 919,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Geez, you have a narrow view of what it takes to play winning soccer/football. And no, Messi and Ronaldo cannot do everything Muller can, especially Messi. On physical ability alone, short, weak Messi cannot match Muller. Muller wins audacious headers, Messi rarely uses his head. Muller makes creative, baffling football and basketball-like runs, Messi mostly is only involved when he has the ball or is in a triangle, nothing unusual though sometimes hard to stop. Muller plays like a boxer, often beating the opponent to 50/50 balls, Messi is not a ball-winner, he's too soft. Muller's runs also occupy the defense allowing others to get great chances. Messi occupies but the defense can easily watch and predict what he is going to do. Muller's runs are chess, Messi's checkers. This is why Thierry Henry (and others) wants kids to learn from Muller because he is, I dare say a new-age player with a different mental game and physical style. Messi is a classic dribbler and wall pass guy we've seen a million times.

And your understanding of defense is wrong, every player, even strikers can cost their team a vital goal by not playing D.
Your understanding of soccer is looking a bit like American football. I'm not surprised, your perception of Messi's game is ridiculously wrong.

"Muller wins audacious headers, Messi rarely uses his head"

Nope. 12 head goals out of 235 for Barcelona is a higher percentage than most strikers of his height by far.

"Messi mostly is only involved when he has the ball or is in a triangle, nothing unusual though sometimes hard to stop"

Wrong again. Solo runs only accounts for 15% of his goals and goals from the edge of the box as part of triangulation represented about 10%

"Messi is not a ball-winner, he's too soft"

And again. His most common method of scoring is by winning the ball inside the big box, by retaking possession, either by running onto a through ball, or by finding space to collect another type of pass or pounce onto a rebound. 145 goals.

"Messi occupies but the defense can easily watch and predict what he is going to do"

Yet, they can't stop him. So much for "predictable".

Last Barcelona game in La Liga was difficult, Villarreal was very compact and defending. Barcelona had 76% possession but could not break through their defense, until the very last minute when Messi recovers a ball, quickly pass onto Neymar who passes to him again and without angle he finds a spot out of nowhere to pass through the goalie to Sandro score. I want emphasize that they won the game thanks his ability to recover the ball. Nice play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH5PKbmdeic

I dare to repeat. Muller is a disciplined player with a good set of skills that fits well the purpose of Germany and Bayern game, nothing super especial about him. He may not ever be a contender for a golden ball. Messi has only 4...

Finally, may your soccer experience be more and more full of Mullers... I will take a Messi or 2 any day.

Last edited by Indyking; 09-02-2014 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 05:27 AM

28 posts, read 14,086 times
According to me Thomas Muller is one of that rare breed in football. He is the most dangerous attacking midfielders.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceThomas View Post
According to me Thomas Muller is one of that rare breed in football. He is the most dangerous attacking midfielders.
Which confirms my theory that American football fans are the ones who see great talent on Muller. LOL

Old 09-03-2014, 06:13 AM

Guardiola seems to be coming to the realization that Muller needs an extra push... those years managing Barcelona got him spoiled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPbZSEhwoeo

Old 09-03-2014, 03:35 PM

It was just a friendly game, I know, but Argentina smashing Germany on their home soil today is just a reminder that modern soccer is not going to rely on a squad full of players like Muller

Old 09-04-2014, 06:39 AM

3,848 posts, read 3,969,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
It was just a friendly game, I know, but Argentina smashing Germany on their home soil today is just a reminder that modern soccer is not going to rely on a squad full of players like Muller
Now you've become a total troll, Muller is the epitome of modern soccer. You site a meaningless freindly but seem to refuse to acknowledge Muller's excellence in 2 world cups. (Oh those meaningless World Cups).

And certainly Germany and the UK are enamored with Muller, hardly just Americans. Are you not American? You sound like you could be a 21 yo from Indianapolis who does so well with Messi in EA Sports FIFA that that shapes all your opinions.

By now, this thread has proven that there is a ton of love (and respect) for Muller, I'm not gonna dig up all the articles from the past 2 years calling him the player kids should learn from.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
You sound like you could be a 21 yo from Indianapolis who does so well with Messi in EA Sports FIFA that that shapes all your opinions.

You couldn't be more wrong...

BTW, I never contested that Muller has his values, he's a good player after all, but there is no question players like Di Maria, CR7, Messi etc are still going to have more value, not just marketing wise, but deciding power for teams worldwide. I think Henry spent way too much time playing in the US and forgot about the beautiful game.

Di Maria was injured and did not play the final against Germany. I think the outcome could have been different if he played. He destroyed the game yesterday with assists to all goal plus his own goal. You just don't see that kind of performance by a player like Muller.

Also you adressed me like that: "Geez, you have a narrow view of what it takes to play winning soccer/football" and call me a troll???

Last edited by Indyking; 09-04-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,418,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
You couldn't be more wrong...

BTW, I never contested that Muller has his values, he's a good player after all, but there is no question players like Di Maria, CR7, Messi etc are still going to have more value, not just marketing wise, but deciding power for teams worldwide. I think Henry spent way too much time playing in the US and forgot about the beautiful game.

Di Maria was injured and did not play the final against Germany. I think the outcome could have been different if he played. He destroyed the game yesterday with assists to all goal plus his own goal. You just don't see that kind of performance by a player like Muller.

Also you adreessed me like that: "Geez, you have a narrow view of what it takes to play winning soccer/football" and call me a troll???
Wow, did you see Di Maria last night? He was beautiful (not in a KinkyToes kind of way), but Argentina has finishers there to complement him.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Wow, did you see Di Maria last night? He was beautiful (not in a KinkyToes kind of way), but Argentina has finishers there to complement him.
I know, simply amazing.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:44 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,359,463 times
Germany avoid scare in Euro qualifying, beat Scotland with goals from Muller | FOX Sports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or