U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 04:50 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,101,874 times

Advertisements

I would say the top of La Liga have better teams. But the EPL is more entertaining. I only watch the big games in Spain like this coming weekend. I can watch a Midlands Derby or a relegation battle in the EPL and it will be brilliant.Viewing figures don't lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,709,227 times
^Agree!

And hopefully Pool beats Manu on Sun to add to their budding confidence so they can finish in the top 4. Then bang into the Champs League and show those in La Liga etc etc how great football can be played on the great stage......;-)...

Old 03-19-2015, 11:16 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,653,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I think everyone will agree when I say that La Liga has been better than EPL the past three years
I think the top teams might be stronger in Spain and Germany but the league is not 'better', the EPL is without doubt the most entertaining league, that's why it commands the highest fees from the TV companies and why it is by far the most watched. The Spanish way of stuffing two teams with all the worlds talent (ie Madrid and Barcelona) is not the answer, in fact if anything it just makes the Spanish league spectacle even worse, its the parity of the teams within the EPL that makes it compulsive viewing, who would of thought that Burnley would have gotten the exact same result against Manchester City as Barcelona did?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:46 AM

Only 3 teams have won the EPL since 2003. And 4 since 1994. So hardly open is it lol. 5 German teams have won since 2004. 5 Spanish sides since 2000. All 3 are great but EPL just shades it in entertainment.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:18 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Only 3 teams have won the EPL since 2003. And 4 since 1994. So hardly open is it lol. 5 German teams have won since 2004. 5 Spanish sides since 2000. All 3 are great but EPL just shades it in entertainment.
All that shows is how truly unbalanced European soccer leagues are. Look at the stats for the Premiere League - In its first 22 seasons, only 5 teams have won the league. In the last 12 years, only 8 teams have finished top 4 and Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United have taken up 44 of 48 spots. Only 11 clubs have finished top 6 in the last 12 seasons. 46 clubs have taken part in the modern Premiere League, 28 of them have never finished in the top 6.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:25 PM

Why does Europe have thousands of amazingly supported teams and the most tv viewers then? Yes some teams are crazy good but that is the way it is, wouldn't change European soccer for nothing.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:46 AM

Re: parity of teams in EPL

For sure. It's evident that on any given weekend any team can beat any other. And of course the concept of relegation was a great stroke in putting in great great motivation to players and teams. And let's add the FA Cup games. A great mix to make a great league.

And just to add viewership here in the US of EPL games was virtually nonexistent a few years ago. Amazing what televising a few games did....the growth here is absolutely phenomenal.
Too bad the MLS did not have a historical pedigree as the EPL did. If it did it would be in a different place altogether.. I'd say perhaps even competing head to head!

Old 03-22-2015, 11:34 AM

Well Pool didn't help themselves today. Manu played extremely well and controlled the game.
Surprised at Gerrard. He had a killer moment. He did not help them at all (and Moreno did not come with his A game). Stunned actually.

Pool hung in without him but it even added to the pressure. Two collapses, one last season and now may indicate that Rodgers has to work on the mental aspects of playing football. Van Gaal's win I'd say has added much to his club with the win.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:47 PM

2,986 posts, read 2,103,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I would say the top of La Liga have better teams. But the EPL is more entertaining. I only watch the big games in Spain like this coming weekend. I can watch a Midlands Derby or a relegation battle in the EPL and it will be brilliant.Viewing figures don't lie.
Agreed, bottom team in Bundesliga, Serie A and Premiership are usually more entertaining (Rayo Vallecano is the exception) than they are in La Liga. I think the EPL is a bit overrated though, viewing figures are helped by EPL's marketing and English being the world's lingua franca.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:54 PM

2,986 posts, read 2,103,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I think the top teams might be stronger in Spain and Germany but the league is not 'better', the EPL is without doubt the most entertaining league, that's why it commands the highest fees from the TV companies and why it is by far the most watched. The Spanish way of stuffing two teams with all the worlds talent (ie Madrid and Barcelona) is not the answer, in fact if anything it just makes the Spanish league spectacle even worse, its the parity of the teams within the EPL that makes it compulsive viewing, who would of thought that Burnley would have gotten the exact same result against Manchester City as Barcelona did?
I disagree, La Liga and the Bundesliga are slightly better and European results are the proof and it's not only the top teams, if bottom teams were so strong in England Hull would have managed to beat Lokeren, a Belgian side than had finished 5th the season before which is currently midtable. Since Premier League's formation, there have been more clubs have won La Liga and Bundesliga than the EPL. EPL's competivity is a myth that has spread due to Sky's marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or