U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:10 PM

750 posts, read 919,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Oh enough Kinkytoes. You're probably the only person on this board reading these posts for there actual intended purpose. The rest of us would rather talk about the actual sport of football, not the looks and features of the players on the team for a friendly.

Maybe create a fan site, but stop subjecting us to these posts please.
I second that.

Yes, enough is enough kinkytoes. What is the point of posting stuff that you are the only one who cares? That is just plain stupid.

Last edited by Indyking; 09-09-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 07:06 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,941,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I would be happy if Shea didn't play for the USMNT anymore. He's super fast, but has no skill. I also wouldn't need to see that rat he wears on his head.
Is that true? I've yet to see him play. It seems that sometimes the Euro clubs will buy players but not let them get enough time on the field. That could make anybody rusty, I'd think. Hope he will surprise you as part of the USMNT. He is still pretty young.

While he was not able to get the experience he wanted at Stoke City, maybe he can focus on his international career. It sounds like he did well at his US club. But at his current club it sounds like he's kind of stuck on the bench so there's not much chance there to hone his skills. Is soccer like modeling? Hopefully 24 is not old. It seems like this is the time he should be refining his game and making it better...

UHHO wrote too soon! Brek's been loaned to Birmingham City for 3 months! It seems a bunch of players there were injured so he may see much more action than at his home club. Best of luck Brek!

Birmingham bring in Stoke winger Brek Shea as injuries pile up for boss Lee Clark | Mail Online

Birmingham City: Official Website of the Blues - Birmingham City FC latest news, photos and videos

In other news about our beloved US Men's team is that Daddy of Five, Jermaine Jones has signed a contract with a US club: the New England Revolution. This is on the other side of the country from his house in LA. At any rate, this has caused buzz:

Jermaine Jones Signing Makes Revolution Playoff Contenders

He was signed as a Designated Player. This is some concept the MLS has and I think it is related to a salary cap. As I understand it, you can only have a certain number of these players. IMO this is crazy. The clubs should be able to pay as much as they want for any players they want. Best of Luck to Jermaine at the new east coast digs.

New England Revolution: Jermaine Jones | New England Revolution

Old 09-18-2014, 07:12 PM

Julian Green Gets All German

My heart belongs to the US Men’s National Team, but damn, Bayern looks pretty hot here doing a photo shoot for their beer commercial. They’re in lederhosen! Our baby Julian Green plays for Bayern, but sadly there is NOT ENOUGH FOOTAGE of him in this video. You can see him in the beginning to the right.

Lederhosen-Shooting des FC Bayern: Xabi Alonso, Mehdi Benatia, Robert Lewandowski und Co. in Tracht - YouTube

FC Bayern: Einkleidung Lederhosen fürs Oktoberfest | FC Bayern

But there are many famous players that I know here. Jerome Boateng, Muller and Mario G. about whom Kinkytoes has nothing politically correct to say. They played for Alemania in the World Cup. Then there is Franck Ribery, whom we all remember from the scandal with the 16 year old prostitute. How is he still married?

Underage teenage prostitute who 'slept with two French football stars' was 'not a vulnerable person', claims player's lawyer | Daily Mail Online

Also in here is Xabi Alonso. I remember his wedding. His wife’s name is Nagore and they have kids named Jantxu and Ane. Very strange names. These must be names in one of the languages in Spain that is not Castilian. As a player he’s not too Xabi, but with the beard he looks kind of Xabi.

Xabi Alonso y Nagore Aramburu se dan el 'sí, quiero' en Guipúzcoa

Finally there is the famous Dutch flopper, Arjen Robben. Believe it or not, he is only 30 years old. LOL Sigh. Actually he seems to have kept his nose pretty clean for a footballer, so he’s OK in my book. Also no tattoos. I’m a tiny part Dutch so go ORANJE yeah! Too bad he’s playing in Germany.

Finally the goalie Manuel Neuer. He’s kind of cute. The team is going to rock an entire KIT that looks like Lederhosen for Oktoberfest.

Yedlinny and Clint are Winners

The Seattle Sounders has won their fourth US Open Cup Championship. Clint, Obafemi Martins and Maurice Edu scored the winning goals. Congrats to the team!

Seattle Sounders FC Wins Fourth U.S. Open Cup Title with 3-1 Victory against Philadelphia Union - U.S. Soccer

Old 10-09-2014, 08:19 PM

He's baaack. After having something of a spat with Coach Juergen, Landon Donovan will be playing his final game for the US Men's National Team tomorrow in East Hartford Connecticut. Here is the lineup of the team for the match against ECUADOR at 7PM EST on October 10th:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt)

FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)
I'm sad to admit that the new faces from the last game didn't really super excite me, even though I gave it my all. I'll be watching the game tomorrow on ESPN and hopefully they will impress me. Yes I know I'm just a plastic, but none of my friends could make it for the game tomorrow! For tomorrow's team, there are some new-to-me names and I'm hoping they're all REALLY CUTE. Let us meet them.

Forward:

Miguel Ibarra Minnesota United FC

Miguel was born in Lancaster, California and surprisingly I could not find his transfermarket entry. But after a bit of research, now I know why.

You may all know by now that I do not really like the MLS. I'm still reeling from the fact that the MLS championship was right after the FWC. But it turns out there is ANOTHER major soccer league in the USA. Is there? There IS and it is called the North American Soccer League aka NASL. Their championship is in Fall which makes more sense to me, as long as it does not compete with baseball or football.

There is an extra bit of Drama because Miguel is the first NASL league player that has been added by Juergie to the USMNT. About Ibarra, author Brian Quartsad writes:
He was named the Brit’s Pub/IMSoccer News Minnesota Stars FC Man of the Match in his very first game as a pro in front of over 8,000 at the Metrodome and ran circles around the Carolina RailHawks defense.
At first I thought our Miguel was the Ecuadorian player and I got excited because he looks kind of s*xy:

NOT THIS MIGUEL IBARRA

Miguel Ibarra genera interés en la MLS (Link) | Futbol Ecuador | Campeonato Ecuatoriano | Noticias Deportivas | Tera Deportes

THIS MIGUEL IBARRA

Miguel Ibarra Nominated for College Boot Award - UC Irvine

But our Miguel Ibarra doesn't have as much..calentura. LOL But IMO he can fix that with some long hair. In addition to his stellar performance for Minnesota, and his being called up for the USMNT, Miguel has also had a distinguished career as a player for UC Irvine.

Report: NASL Minnesota United's Miguel Ibarra to be called to the U.S. Men's National team | Soccerlens
Top NASL Rookies So Far in 2012 | IMS Soccer News

Goalkeeper:

Bilal Abdul Hamid DC United

Nicknamed "Bill," Bilal Hamid was born in Annandale, Virginia in 1990 to parents who are from Sierra Leone. He currently plays for the DC United club here in the US. Bill has also played for the US Men's National teams as a professional and on the youth squads. He beat Tim Howard's record as the youngest goalkeeper in MLS history to win a regular season game. OK NOW I'm excited.

Like Mesut Ozil and a few other players, Bilal is an observant Muslim. As such he observes Ramadan and fasts. BTW the fasting for Ramadan is kind of weird. At least it was to me when I found out how it worked. 1. You only fast during daylight hours. 2. You can't drink anything. 3. You can't do anything haram, BUT if you DO you can add "catch up days" to the end of your fasting period to make up for the days you ****ed up.

In fact in Muslim countries, there are some people who routinely drink alcohol, even though it is supposed to be against their religion. But they make sure to try to stop for Ramadan. So in that case it is like giving up meat for Lent like I believe Catholics do.

Bill does not fast every day, so I'm guessing he does the make up stuff at the end. I'm surprised to read that even though Bill grew up as a Muslim, he began fasting only in 2012. But since we are mostly a Christian country, it is pretty difficult for Muslims to fast here. In Islamic countries basically the whole country shuts down during the day during Ramadan.

No kidding. Then it is kind of like a month-long night party with all of the lights and stuff. Restaurants etc are only open at night and there are many people on the street all night long. IMO this makes it WAY easier to fast. When I was in Egypt we slept all day and ate and watched TV all night. During Ramadan there are a ton of special TV shows and drama serials just for the holidays. Even Christians who live in those countries observe the customs, probably to keep the heat off of themselves since they're the minority. Ha Ha Ha So if you've read this far...hope it was edifying.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see if being more spiritual has any effect on the quality of his goalkeeping. The first year he observed Ramadan was also his best year in terms of statistics. But he is just a baby so hopefully he can improve and OMG if he is as good or BETTER than Tim...it is ON in 2018.

So he seems to be a STELLAR player, but he's not that handsome, and he is wearing orange in the next photo. So I'm going to nickname him Oran-DjinnA. Since Juergs promised to play the young guys for our friendlies, I'm hoping Bill will Goalie tomorrow.

D.C. United's Bill Hamid gets call-up to U.S. national team | Washington Times Communities
Learn and talk about Bill Hamid, 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup players, African-American Muslims, African-American sportspeople, American Muslims
Bill Hamid - player profile - Transfermarkt
D.C. United
Egypt celebrates first Ramadan under Muslim Brotherhood | World | DW.DE | 13.08.2012

Midfielder:

Luis Gil Real Salt Lake

With Luis, I'm getting the picture that nobody will be able to unseat Omar Gonzalez as the Rey of Hotness in the USMNT. Lest we forget:

Well back to Luis. In an article for ESPN, writer Scott French says of Luis:
The future of American soccer just might be a pimply, unassuming kid from Garden Grove who before his 16th birthday had wowed some of the world's biggest clubs, then rebuffed their offers and signed with Major League Soccer.

This talented esquincle was born to a Mexican dad and American mom in Garden Grove CA in 1993. WOW he's a baby! So luckily there is a lot of time for him to develop personal style and have his skin clear up. I mean even Cris (whom as you all know by now, I love) had a face full of zits when he was a kid.

In the ESPN article, Luis's dad says that in his own youth, his dad would not let him play soccer, even though he had talent. He had to work. So he was very supportive of Luis, who did not even LIKE soccer...until he started scoring goals. Just like Cris, Luis has a working class background so I'm hoping for great things for him.

But even at his young age, Luis has already played for Real Salt Lake, the Pateadores Club and AC Saint Louis. He has also played for the US Men's National Soccer team's youth clubs. The bad news about Luis is that he had a serious hamstring injury this year:

“I've never had stuff like that that's kept me out for so long,” he said. “I've had things, like with my ankle, that kept me out a week or two, but nothing like this.”

It seems he has recovered enough to play in the friendly and I'm hoping since he is so young and fit he will be able to recover 110% I had an injury earlier this year and my doctor used some new techniques and I'm really happy at how much sports medicine seems to have advanced. So best of luck, Luis.

Is Luis Gil the next big thing in U.S. soccer? - ESPN Los Angeles
Luis Gil - player profile - Transfermarkt
Luis Miguel Gil |
Real Salt Lake see young talent Luis Gil coming into his own this month: "He's playing with a smile" | MLSsoccer.com

Since I know all of you care, I got a promotion at work! So I've been busy as heck all week doing knowledge transfer and talking with my coworkers and trying to finish a project, and attending what seemed like a million meetings. But it is all worth it! For da ChaChing!

One day after I pay off my debt it is feasible that I may be able to afford to follow the team around the world like a stalker. Moo ha ha. I mean a devoted fan. I'll leave y'all with Juergie's apropos words:

“We look at these two games as an opportunity to take a picture of the player pool as it stands now. Already the hierarchy starts to shift in some ways, which is normal at the beginning of a cycle. It’s important that the younger players get a chance to swim in the cold water. We are excited to look at this group against a very competitive team like Ecuador, and then we will have a chance to bring some different faces for the game against Honduras. Obviously it’s going to be a special night as everyone in the U.S. Soccer family will have the chance to honor the amazing career of Landon Donovan.”

Minnesota United NASL: Miguel Ibarra Named to 21-Man USMNT Roster

Old 11-13-2014, 06:44 PM

Since I did not win the lottery, inherit any money or marry a wealthy man, I won't be going to London to see the USMNT play Colombia tomorrow. Many of the guys I like from the World Cup are going to play including Josy, Mix, JERMAINEEEE!, Damarcus, John Brooks, Wondo, Kyle Beckerman, Geoff etc.

The ussoccer website has a gallery with pix of the team posing in front of Big Ben (that's right, Fabian is also there) and training with the new high visibility ball. Luckily the ball is the only hideous thing on the field. Coach Juergen's lineup for the game is here: Klinsmann Names 25-Player Roster for Final Matches of 2014 - U.S. Soccer

And a photo with most of the players who will be in the next game is below. All of the guys look pretty fit, even though there is some excess facial hair on display.

So what's NEW? Well there is a picture of Bill and I feel bad for saying he's not that good looking before. He's not bad. The two new-to-me players are:
Midfielder Lee Nguyen and baby goal keeper Sean Johnson.

Unfortunately I'm not technologically savvy enough to be able to watch a game on ESPN. I'll try again tomorrow. Best of luck to the guys. James preparate a llorar de nuevo.

Photo Gallery: MNT in London - U.S. Soccer

Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution)

Lee was born in Richardson, Texas USA in 1986. He has played for different international clubs such as PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands, the Raiders FC in Denmark, Hoang Anh Gia Lai and Becamex Binh Duong in Vietnam and the Vancouver Whitecaps in Canada.

He is now playing for the New England Revolution in the United States. Jermaine Jones also plays for this team so it seems their fans have a LOT to be excited about during the next game. While Lee played in Vietnam, his Britney Spears look-alike girlfriend Alison came to visit and got a lot of attention:
Lee Nguy

Lee Nguyen Live Chat - Friday at 1 p.m. | New England Revolution
Lee Nguyen - player profile - Transfermarkt

Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)

Sean was born in Lilburn Georgia in 1989 and he's now 6'3" and 217 pounds. Before moving to the Chicago Fire, he played for the Orlando City Soccer club's under 23 team. Before starting his professional career, Sean played for the University of Central Florida and on the US Men's National Team's under-20 squad.

The scandal about Sean is that he appaently messed up in a big game when he came on for Bill Hamid after Bill had been injured. This was in a 2012 Concaf game. No wonder he looked so sheepish in the picture, but I hope he will get over that. But honestly Bill seems like a BEAST of a goalie. I'm looking forward to his being the next Tim Howard. But Sean could surprise me.

Sean Johnson - player profile - Transfermarkt
SoccerAmerica - Sean Johnson: Keeper of the Future 07/19/2013

Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 PM

4-1 to Ireland? What went wrong?

Old 11-20-2014, 05:37 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,654,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
4-1 to Ireland? What went wrong?
Apparently being cute doesn't equate to playing well huh kinky?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:19 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,566,105 times
The defense got caught posing for pictures.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The defense got caught posing for pictures.

Ok based on the bit I've seen of the games, I'd agree. For some of the goals Ireland made it looks like the guys who should have been DEFENDING the goal were literally standing still. Sometimes this happens if the refs are biased and the players are just trying to keep from catching a foul or getting carded...

Bilal also was just not able to stop balls from getting into the net. Of course some of them should not have gotten that close, but how come he did not stop them. It seems like Geoff was good as usual, but he is one of the players who starts a lot at his home club, isn't he? UGH it looks like we really need to work on our poo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cevai2RcvI

One other think I'm noticing in the clips from the Ireland match is that our guys got fouled and pulled around pretty badly and the refs did NOTHING? Same football bias BS against the US team that I really hate. But as you all know, I know f_ck all about soccer so who cares what I think. Here is what Juergs had to say about this game:
“We have to become more physical. We have to hold our ground more, dominate. We have to send signals out all over the field and it took until the 70th minute until Jozy (Altidore) got the yellow card for a foul he did because he was fouled before that. This is just part of the game. It’s normal."

(this link has an annoying auto-play video with sound. You may need mute.)
Klinsmann rips into U.S. team after Ireland thrashing | SOCCER | Sporting News
OK so their BS refereeing is normal? I can't agree but our guys may need to accept that. Somehow in my heart I feel like bribery is involved in anything related to FIFA, but it seems that is not the case...and the refs are fair.

IMO it is too early to project who will be in the final team, but somebody is doing it:
World Cup 2018 - Projecting U.S. national team lineup for Russia World Cup - ESPN

Right now we seem to have a poo load of work to do. IMO we also need play time at the home clubs where the members are. Here is what Jozy said:
A team like Ireland, we knew what to expect, (but) we weren't up to task today in terms of physically fighting and just being tough to beat. We missed that in the middle of the park, and defensively.”
Easy to say, and hard to do but I think we can because we are America. We believe in continuous improvement. Make the countries in the world really have something to cry about. I can't stand James, but he's getting a lot of valuable play time at RM right now:

Eibar 0-4 Real Madrid: Goals from James Rodriguez, Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema ensure Los Blancos romp to victory* | Daily Mail Online

Sorry for the gratuitous picture for those of you readers who can't stand cuteness. ;D Apart from the USMNT, I like Real Madrid esp. CR7 and Marcelito. At any rate what can we do as fans?! I'm tempted to contact their teams and try to pressure the managers into giving our underused players more field time. How can they get any better if they are warming the bench?

The ussoccerplayers website has what seems to be good information about which of our players is on field for his home club and when:
Geoff Cameron and Stoke upset Spurs, Diskerud finishes 2nd with Rosenborg | US Soccer Players

Old 01-16-2015, 09:48 PM

It is a new year and there are new faces on the US Men's national soccer team. The boys are in training camp now in Los Angeles, California. Apparently Coach Juergs has to make a roster for the training camp, and here it is, with the players we haven't met yet highlighted:

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (unattached), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Jon Kempin (Sporting Kansas City), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy)

MIDFIELDERS (11): Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (out of contract), Dennis Flores (Club Leon), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Marc Pelosi (Liverpool), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS (6): Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julio Morales (Tepic), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

This lineup is exciting for me for two reasons. First there's a guy from DC UNITED! Congrats to them on the new stadium. Second Alex Bono. Juergs seems to have added him to the lineup just for me. Hope this bodes well for the rest of the newbies. I'll try to go over everyone's history and stats tomorrow.

Alex Bono | Andy Mead Photo

*According to ussoccer.com, poor Brad Evans of World Cup 2014 fame is out because of injury. Hope he recovers soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or