U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:01 PM

167 posts, read 75,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
What about expansion into Mexico? Matamoros, Nuevo Laredo and Juarez are all big border cities and none of them have a Liga MX (top Mexican league) club. Tijuana has a Liga MX team, but I think the city is big enough to support both a Liga MX and MLS team.
MLS would need FIFA / Mexico soccer federation to allow it, and of course they won't allow.

Plus I think Mexicans would take it as a joke, they have a stronger league and it's their own national league not a foreign league. It would be like Russian hockey league tries to expand into US and Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 08:06 PM

167 posts, read 75,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
If San Diego ever gets an MLS franchise it would do very well. Not only would the team benefit from local fans but they would have fans from Tijuana. The Tijuana Xolos are successful and Tijuana loves football. When I lived in North County San Diego I always went down to Tijuana. So many people follow the Chargers and Padres in Tijuana and go to the games. The same would happen if MLS landed in San Diego.

Mexico already has a football league. I'm not sure MLS has or will ever have plans of expanding into Mexico. I remember when the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) had a team in Mexico: La Raza de Monterrey. The team folded after a few seasons.

-Cheers.
Do you mean Mexicans would cross the border to watch an MLS San Diego club? I don't think so, they have Xolos. Also i think many of the people from San Diego would stay Xolos and Liga MX fans, rather than follow MLS.

Still, San Diego is big. If the stadium is in a good spot, I think an MLS club would work fine. Xolos would have Tijuana and share San Diego with MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or