U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times

Advertisements

The more I think about it, the more I think it will work. If the new LA team gets a downtown stadium they could kill it. And with Magic and Mia behind it, it can't hurt. Tan is a hindrance, hopefully they just use his money and run the biz without him. Galaxy could actually lose fans and become less cool if they do "LAFC" right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The closest thing to Mexico the MLS would ever expand to would be San Antonio, El Paso, and San Diego. Major American pro sports leagues don't even look to Mexico for anything, and the MLS is no different.

After all, the league was made for U.S. and Canadian cities only.
If San Diego ever gets an MLS franchise it would do very well. Not only would the team benefit from local fans but they would have fans from Tijuana. The Tijuana Xolos are successful and Tijuana loves football. When I lived in North County San Diego I always went down to Tijuana. So many people follow the Chargers and Padres in Tijuana and go to the games. The same would happen if MLS landed in San Diego.

Mexico already has a football league. I'm not sure MLS has or will ever have plans of expanding into Mexico. I remember when the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) had a team in Mexico: La Raza de Monterrey. The team folded after a few seasons.

-Cheers.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:50 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
Kind of on topic, as the MLS has to figure out how to develop players, but this is a good article on the US developmental system.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/sp...rope.html?_r=1

Old 11-20-2014, 03:34 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
I predicted a couple of years ago that this move was going to happen.

Houston Dynamo, Sporting Kansas City will return to MLS Western Conference in 2015 | MLSsoccer.com

Old 11-21-2014, 08:32 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,386,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

Houston Dynamo, Sporting Kansas City will return to MLS Western Conference in 2015 | MLSsoccer.com
it had to as MLS overloads the league with new teams.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:36 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

I'm pretty sure everyone knew it was going to happen, seeing how it's happened in every other major pro sports league in this country.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:10 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,499,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think it will work. If the new LA team gets a downtown stadium they could kill it. And with Magic and Mia behind it, it can't hurt. Tan is a hindrance, hopefully they just use his money and run the biz without him. Galaxy could actually lose fans and become less cool if they do "LAFC" right.
LA could support 4 D1 teams. And by support I mean avg between 15-22k per home game.

LA Galaxy in South Bay
LAFC in DTLA
LA3 in San Fernando Valley
LA4 in Inland Empire.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:10 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Beckham and Miami's stadium plan not getting any traction would bode well for a second pick amongst the Minneapolis, Sacramento and Las Vegas groups trying to join in the fun.

Clock ticking on Beckham's struggle for Miami stadium: MLS | Reuters

at this point, only one venue has moved beyond conceptual drawings...

First look: Renderings of Vikings stadium outfitted for Major League Soccer | Star Tribune

there is a second group in Minneapolis with the cash to get an outdoor stadium built but hardly anything has been heard from them in quite some time.

United FC president is tight-lipped on soccer plans - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

Old 12-06-2014, 02:15 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,935,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
at this point, only one venue has moved beyond conceptual drawings...

First look: Renderings of Vikings stadium outfitted for Major League Soccer | Star Tribune

there is a second group in Minneapolis with the cash to get an outdoor stadium built but hardly anything has been heard from them in quite some time.

United FC president is tight-lipped on soccer plans - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal
The problem with the ViQueens, other than being a Loser Organisation, is that the $Billion stadium will have artificial turf.

Minnesota United won both the spring and fall NASL leagues this season, and has a franchise that is worthy of being promoted to MSL.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,703,267 times
Re:...Garber.....Klinsmann....US Soccer .....

You know if Garber's going to be at loggerheads with JK on how the U.S. develops its players well there we go. .....already in the toilet from the get go. My own take is Klinsmann has seen the results of how Germany went about producing world class players and a great system to shuffle that system along to boot. And for that everybody in the country had to be on the same page end of story. It was get down to work and do the job. I'm not sure if JK's approach works for the majority involved but it would work to the U.S. advantage to get the vision hardened and then execute. Sniping public comments not needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or