U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 11:09 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,451,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Sophie you do know your confidence will set you up for a fall? You were dead sure they would win the world cup, they didn't.

Its all well being confident but to much confidence is weird, you gotta say Columbia are at least as good as Argentina these days.

But yeah I would say it is out of Columbia and Argentina with Uruguay and Brazil maybes.

I was actually sure Argentina would make the final. Even had some bets with people who thought argentina will lose in quarters or semis. This bets were set up way before the WC even started and way before the rivals have been decided. I won all my bets: Argentina got to the final, i was right. Germany had it coming for years, they deserved to win, and they were the better team in the WC. However, as proven in the match, Argentina was as good, and have the players to win every tournament. So, i wasnt that wrong. What made me say Argentina would sure win was fanatism and that i was sure they could. And they did get to the final and play a hell of a game against Germany. So, i would say i was right

Having said so, i know Copa America will not be piece of cake, i just wish it is! And agree with Indyking that Argentina is a favourite and should win, but others team could do it such as Chile, Brasil or Colombia!

hope is argentina, though!

If not: Chile
or Colombia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Why do you think that a team loaded with offensive power like Argentina scored so few goals during the WC?

Did you follow the South America qualifiers?

Like I said, Sabella had to build a defensive team because of the many flaws in Argentina's defense before the WC. Everybody that understand football tactics and followed them knows that. As a result, the midfielders were playing in a more defensive line, with Di Maria far more contended helping to defend and Mascherano playing as a third defender most of the time. That worked, the defense was good but at the expense of midfield creation, hence the paucity of goals. In most games, they had to rely on Messi's talent to create his way into the goal.

Now, Tata is different. He likes his teams to hold possession in the midfield but playing in a line a lot more advanced into the attacking midfield and lots more opportunities for the strikers. That was a problem in the friendly match against Brazil because it created space for counter-attacks, especially on the back of the midfielders. On the flip side, with Tata, Argentina is poised to score more goals and if he fixes the defense the way he likes, it's gonna be a very good team indeed, but I just don't think he has the quality he needs back there.

You are aboslutely right . The problem was the deffense. Argentina in the CONMEBOL qualys was a goal-scoring-machine. Sabella had to change tactics for the WC knockout rounds. And it worked.

I dont know what Tata is doing, but i sure hope he has it figured out before copa america.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:13 AM

24,257 posts, read 18,886,266 times
So when is this thing?

Old 12-04-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So when is this thing?
June 11

Old 12-04-2014, 02:05 PM

750 posts, read 922,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So when is this thing?
You will be surprised how much attention by soccer fans this "thing" will get next year. South America is a lot more than a 2 horse race these days with the rise of Colombia, Chile, and Uruguay's football quality. Plus there is always unpredictable Mexico , and Ecuador and Paraguay are not exactly innocent when it comes to football.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
You are aboslutely right . The problem was the deffense. Argentina in the CONMEBOL qualys was a goal-scoring-machine. Sabella had to change tactics for the WC knockout rounds. And it worked.

I dont know what Tata is doing, but i sure hope he has it figured out before copa america.

Thanks Sophie, I know exactly what I'm talking about because I follow South American teams. I know about Argentina struggles during the qualifiers despite of their first place finish and I know Sabella was unpopular with some fans during that time. I have Argentinean friends, so we talk football a lot.

I'm hoping for Brazil to win of course , but the team is in a process of rebuilding and regaining trust after the WC fiasco, so other teams are ahead, at least more confident and showing strong chemistry. If Brazil can't win, then my first choice is Chile.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:36 AM

24,257 posts, read 18,886,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
You will be surprised how much attention by soccer fans this "thing" will get next year. South America is a lot more than a 2 horse race these days with the rise of Colombia, Chile, and Uruguay's football quality. Plus there is always unpredictable Mexico , and Ecuador and Paraguay are not exactly innocent when it comes to football.
Oh, I know it's huge. I just don't follow other than European football, but I'll think I watch next year.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:40 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,431,924 times
crap, I just checked TV coverage and BeIn Sports has Copa America 15. Damn, I don't have that channel, but they are picking up a lot of soccer. Some day I'm going to have to find a way to reduce my cable bill and just buy a couple premium services for soccer...maybe MLS Direct and BeIn.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:09 PM

Do you have Univision? They will broadcast it too.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:20 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,419,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
crap, I just checked TV coverage and BeIn Sports has Copa America 15. Damn, I don't have that channel, but they are picking up a lot of soccer. Some day I'm going to have to find a way to reduce my cable bill and just buy a couple premium services for soccer...maybe MLS Direct and BeIn.
If you get a Roku 3 you can get the MLS season for about $50 and also beIN Sport is only $10pm on that too. I stream wowtv on my Roku and get Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 as well as BT Sport 1 and 2 and a whole host of others. I prefer the UK streams as UK commentators > American commentators. Its $20pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or