Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times

Advertisements

The groups have been decided today :

GROUP A: Chile, Mexico, Ecuador, Bolivia

GROUP B: Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Jamaica

GROUP C: Brasil, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru

(the host always gets the easiest group )

so the real question is what team will get to be second? (cause its obvious argentina will win with ease)
ill say this one will be a surprise and brasil wont get to be final. uruguay wont either. its gonna be either colombia or chile. hopefully chile for being hosts, but colombia in the final with arg will be great

Im sure it will be a fun tournament full of stars like Messi, Di Maria, Neymar, Aguero, Mascherano, James Rodriguez, Vidal, and with teams that shined in the world cup such as Argentina Chile and Colombia. Probably Brazil will show a better side too. And the rest of the southamerican teams will all be good as usual. Probably Mexico and Jamaica will be the only downsides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
there was a case of racism against a venezuelan player (Renteria) that is playing in the chilean league.
Don't know if that's gonna affect the tournament in any way.

Racist Fans Halt Chilean Soccer Match

Old 11-25-2014, 12:36 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
I wouldnt be so sure that Argentina will win...Colombia is a pretty good team too. The last time they played it was a 0-0 tie

Chile can be surprising too, they were inches away from defeating Brazil last world cup

Old 11-25-2014, 08:34 AM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
The groups have been decided today :

GROUP A: Chile, Mexico, Ecuador, Bolivia

GROUP B: Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Jamaica

GROUP C: Brasil, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru

(the host always gets the easiest group )

so the real question is what team will get to be second? (cause its obvious argentina will win with ease)
ill say this one will be a surprise and brasil wont get to be final. uruguay wont either. its gonna be either colombia or chile. hopefully chile for being hosts, but colombia in the final with arg will be great

Im sure it will be a fun tournament full of stars like Messi, Di Maria, Neymar, Aguero, Mascherano, James Rodriguez, Vidal, and with teams that shined in the world cup such as Argentina Chile and Colombia. Probably Brazil will show a better side too. And the rest of the southamerican teams will all be good as usual. Probably Mexico and Jamaica will be the only downsides.

Hmmmm...once more against Mexico.
It seems that every other Copa América or World Cup we meet .

Old 11-25-2014, 08:41 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Yeah, I'm not going with Argentina in a landslide...although i agree they have the best top to bottom team. There are some high quality teams here that could beat Argentina: Colombia, Chile at home, and I know Brazil got killed by the Germans but they beat some very good teams before that thrashing.

How did Jamaica get in?

Old 11-25-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
there was a case of racism against a venezuelan player (Renteria) that is playing in the chilean league.
Don't know if that's gonna affect the tournament in any way.

Racist Fans Halt Chilean Soccer Match

I doubt racism will show its ugly presence.
Being a tournament of such magnitude, I'm more than sure the authorities will take measures to prevent this shameful act.
Fans/Barras being screened, police presence to the max, not to mention the public image it will present to the world, and lastly, plain common sense should prevail

Old 11-25-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, I'm not going with Argentina in a landslide...although i agree they have the best top to bottom team. There are some high quality teams here that could beat Argentina: Colombia, Chile at home, and I know Brazil got killed by the Germans but they beat some very good teams before that thrashing.

How did Jamaica get in?
Invitation by CONMEBOL (CONfederación SudaMEricana de FútBOL) the South American Federation.

They...along with Mexico.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:14 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
It will be a very interesting Copa America because for the first time, I think all major teams will put full effort to win it.

Argentina is the clear favorite for what they have done in the WC and now with Tevez back to the squad, I think they definitively have an edge over the other contenders. Tevez is much better than Higuain. Tata does tend to play a more open game than Sabella and that may be dangerous in the Copa America.

Colombia is OK, perhaps a little overrated IMO. I think their main triumph is really Pekerman's ability to build very competitive teams, but in the end of the day they still rely too much in just a few players that are very good but not excellent.

Chile is sort of similar to Colombia level, but with the home advantage, which may work in favor or against.

Uruguay can't have Suarez for most of the tournament. I think they are just little behind Colombia and Chile quality overall but they are after all the defending Champions and have some individual quality.

Mexico? I can't never tell, seems like they can do well in the most unfavorable games but be easily upset as well, like loosing to Belarus in their last friendly match.

Brazil is doomed by that humiliating loss in the WC by the Germans until they start winning again, but they are looking rather good after the WC. It's hard to evaluate because friendly matches are not true indicators, but they won all of their 6 post-WC matches including beating Colombia and Argentina and conceded just 1 goal from a foolish PK. So far so good.

Last edited by Indyking; 11-25-2014 at 10:34 AM..

Old 11-25-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
It will be a very interesting Copa America because for the first time, I think all major teams will put full effort to win it.

Argentina are the clear favorites for what they have done in the WC and now with Tevez back to the squad, I think they definitively have an edge over the other contenders. Tevez is much better than Higuain. Tata does tend to play a more open game than Sabella and that may be dangerous in the Copa America.

Colombia is OK, perhaps a little overrated IMO. I think their main triumph is really Pekerman's ability to build very competitive teams, but in the end of the day they still rely too much in a just a few players that are very good but not excellent.

Chile is sort of similar to Colombia level, but with the home advantage, which may work in favor or against.

Uruguay can't have Suarez for most of the tournament. I think they are just little behind Colombia and Chile quality overall but they are after all the defending Champions and have some individual quality.

Mexico? I can't never tell, seems like they can do well in the most unfavorable games but be easily upset as well, like loosing to Belarus in their last friendly match.

Brazil is doomed by that humiliating loss in the WC by the Germans until they start winning again, but they are looking rather good after the WC. It's hard to evaluate because friendly matches are not true indicators, but they won all of their 6 post-WC matches including beating Colombia and Argentina and conceded just 1 goal from a foolish PK. So far so good.
Very good overview Indy, I generally agree.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Invitation by CONMEBOL (CONfederación SudaMEricana de FútBOL) the South American Federation.

They...along with Mexico.

Yeah, I get that...but why Jamaica? Did they win something to get the invite? They just aren't a very good team on the road, such a step down from the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer