U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:49 AM

4,850 posts, read 6,368,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
I think that the 2022 Cup won't go to the US or Qatar. The US has hosted three world cups since 1994, if you include the women, and so FIFA will probably award it to somewhere else that has gone longer without hosting.
None of that was a factor during the bid to host in 2022. The odds are a World Cup will not be staged on US soil but it will have nothing to do with Women's World Cups of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 03:30 AM

264 posts, read 205,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
I think that the 2022 Cup won't go to the US or Qatar. The US has hosted three world cups since 1994, if you include the women, and so FIFA will probably award it to somewhere else that has gone longer without hosting.
Women's WC won't count for anything. But I could see them not giving it to the USA just out of spite to show who is boss. According to the rotation plan they use, 2022 will be a non European year. Clearly Australia, China and Argentina are the first countries that spring to mind that haven't staged it or not for 4 decades in Argentina's case. Australia would be a TV schedule nightmare time difference wise for the big money European audiences, that might rule against them, and I'd hate to see it there for that reason. China slightly less so and Argentina might not have the money even with all the stadia they have. I'd say China or Australia would be favourites.Though personally I would like to see it in Europe or the USA if they are willing to break the rotation and also let bygones be bygones.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,883,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarringtonNI View Post
Women's WC won't count for anything. But I could see them not giving it to the USA just out of spite to show who is boss. According to the rotation plan they use, 2022 will be a non European year. Clearly Australia, China and Argentina are the first countries that spring to mind that haven't staged it or not for 4 decades in Argentina's case. Australia would be a TV schedule nightmare time difference wise for the big money European audiences, that might rule against them, and I'd hate to see it there for that reason. China slightly less so and Argentina might not have the money even with all the stadia they have. I'd say China or Australia would be favourites.Though personally I would like to see it in Europe or the USA if they are willing to break the rotation and also let bygones be bygones.
Australia is not that much worse than Japan and South Korea are from a time zone standpoint. That didn't stop FIFA from awarding them the 2002 World Cup.

Thanks the NFL, no other country can match, or really come close to what the US offers for stadiums. That said, I think it would be nice if Australia were awarded the 2022 World Cup should it be stripped from Qatar.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:14 AM

Yeah , i remember the late night/early morning matches, i didnt get to see many of them, so thats why, purely from a selfish UK based point of view, I hope Australia never gets it.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:41 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Officially sure, that's the official reason...that was FIFAs screw up...the motivation was losing the World Cup bid...and to Qatar of all places...obvious corruption in play, USA was the better choice by far
I don't think that was the motivation a few years back when this started. From what i read, they were investigating the Russian mafia in the US, and it somehow led to Chuck Blazer, to Jack Warner and then deep into FIFA.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:25 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,396,020 times
So Blatter announces resignation 2 days (or so) after an "election" and I think people are crazy to expect sweeping changes. I would imagine he went through with the "election" so he can help hand pick his replacement, more money can exchange hands that way.

People have to be absolutely crazy to think the WC will be taken away from Qatar or Russia. Dreamers.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:37 PM

9,984 posts, read 6,769,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
So Blatter announces resignation 2 days (or so) after an "election" and I think people are crazy to expect sweeping changes. I would imagine he went through with the "election" so he can help hand pick his replacement, more money can exchange hands that way.

People have to be absolutely crazy to think the WC will be taken away from Qatar or Russia. Dreamers.
The Blatter resignation increases the chances. He's under investigation so if there's
true info on corruption related to those processes, they could be disqualified.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:55 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,921,148 times
The World Cup can only take place in Qatar if all the domestic leagues around the world agree to rearrange their seasons to play through the summer and take a winter break. Does FIFA have the credibility to enforce such a massive change? Maybe they would have a week ago. But now? Let FIFA explain how the tournament was awarded to a country where the climate makes it impossible to play at the time of year specified.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:05 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,973,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

The FBI is starting an investigation and if/when they prove votes were bought, these events could be re-bid. So it's definately a possibility especially with Qatar which is also causing a massive adjustment for most domestic leagues. The possibility of relelatively pathetic income for the global corporations could be a factor too.

I'm kind of proud of the US government for stepping in and looking into the madness the whole world knows and complains but does nothing about. And I'm usually the last to be a flag waiver.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:15 AM

Jack Warner went on TV in Trinidad last night and had a bizarre (even for that little crook) rant about FIFA corruption and how he has documents hidden away that will blow the thing apart and that FIFA control the general elections in Trinidad. He said he fears for his life and he has left instructions for the release all the guff he claims to have in the event of his sudden death.

He has previous for these sort of weird idiotic claims that he doesnt back up and is so bent and twisted that you could use him to open a bottle of wine.
But was entertaining to watch the old deluded fool chunter on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or