U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2015, 12:34 PM
 
Location: San Diego
563 posts, read 428,984 times
Reputation: 546

Advertisements

Anybody watching? Canada opens with China PR later today. The USA starts in Winnipeg on Monday.
FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015? - FIFA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2015, 01:30 PM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Anybody watching? Canada opens with China PR later today. The USA starts in Winnipeg on Monday.
FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015? - FIFA.com
Thanks! I will absolutely try to get in as many games as I possibly can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 06:18 AM
 
424 posts, read 212,524 times
Reputation: 296
Looking forward to the US matches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 07:45 AM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Looking forward to the US matches
We need to see more of a surge from the US women this WC than was evident in the last. Their loss to China then was devastating to the team, but should serve as an incentive for this year. Host team, Canada, just beat China this weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 08:25 AM
 
424 posts, read 212,524 times
Reputation: 296
I slowly became a soccer fan in 2006- so I'm a relative newbie to the game. Now it's up there with (American) football as my favorite sport. I was surprised to find out that the US has not won the women's WC since 1999.

That means all (assuming all) the current US players-- including Abby Wambach do not have a WC title.

The USWNT has had some devastating loses in world cup play-- including the one you mention but also the 4-0 shackling against Brazil (was it?) in 2007 maybe? They need to win it this year <hopefully>!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
Reputation: 2478
Centerback Christine Rapinone was the lone holdover from the 99 team that beat China at the Rose Bowl. I believe Wambach came around in 2001 or 2002.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 03:33 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,880,962 times
Reputation: 2779
That Germany-Ivory Coast game yesterday was a a joke. Germany won 10-0 in a game that could have easily been 13-0 or 14-0. The referee did not call 2 blatant penalties on Ivory Coast in the second half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
Reputation: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
That Germany-Ivory Coast game yesterday was a a joke. Germany won 10-0 in a game that could have easily been 13-0 or 14-0. The referee did not call 2 blatant penalties on Ivory Coast in the second half.

That's what gonna happen in this expanded women's world cup with 8 more teams (and 8 countries making their debut) than there were in 2011 you get Germany 10-0 over Ivory Coast & Cameroon 5-0 over Ecuador.

In the biggest surprise of the day African champ Nigeria comes back from 0-2 down to tie Sweden with the tying goal in the 87th minute to draw with Sweden 3-3. Either Nigeria is better then we thought or Sweden is worse then we thought. Either way, Group C looked tough as it was before, but with the Nigeria result & the way Australia played vs. the US (lost 3-1 but controlled possession most of the first half and could have easily had a couple quick goals early on) this could be open for ANY team to advance....even Nigeria & the Aussies. Group D started play today as well with Cameroon getting that 5-0 win over Ecuador and Japan holding on for a 1-0 win over the Swiss.

Tomorrow the 2 final groups get going E & F:
Group E opens up with Spain vs. Costa Rica & Brazil vs. South Korea with Brazil looking like the clear favorite to win the group.
Group F starts with Colombia vs. Mexico & France vs. England in what looks like the best match of the day. France looks to be the clear favorite out of group F with the UK probably finishing second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 03:51 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,812 posts, read 6,639,988 times
Reputation: 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
That's what gonna happen in this expanded women's world cup with 8 more teams (and 8 countries making their debut) than there were in 2011 you get Germany 10-0 over Ivory Coast & Cameroon 5-0 over Ecuador.

In the biggest surprise of the day African champ Nigeria comes back from 0-2 down to tie Sweden with the tying goal in the 87th minute to draw with Sweden 3-3. Either Nigeria is better then we thought or Sweden is worse then we thought. Either way, Group C looked tough as it was before, but with the Nigeria result & the way Australia played vs. the US (lost 3-1 but controlled possession most of the first half and could have easily had a couple quick goals early on) this could be open for ANY team to advance....even Nigeria & the Aussies. Group D started play today as well with Cameroon getting that 5-0 win over Ecuador and Japan holding on for a 1-0 win over the Swiss.

Tomorrow the 2 final groups get going E & F:
Group E opens up with Spain vs. Costa Rica & Brazil vs. South Korea with Brazil looking like the clear favorite to win the group.
Group F starts with Colombia vs. Mexico & France vs. England in what looks like the best match of the day. France looks to be the clear favorite out of group F with the UK probably finishing second.
I Didn't even realise there was such a thing as a 'womens world cup', if there is a match between France and England then it wont be the UK finishing second, the UK isn't England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 AM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I Didn't even realise there was such a thing as a 'womens world cup', if there is a match between France and England then it wont be the UK finishing second, the UK isn't England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top