U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:58 AM

152 posts, read 125,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Geography is a challenge for American soccer leagues right now. How would it be more of a challenge if there was pro/rel between the leagues?
It wouldn't be more of a challenge. I'm just saying that pro/rel in the US wouldn't be like pro/rel in Europe, where few teams dominate the league every year. Instead, it would be like Argentinian/Brazilian pro/rel, where there are more teams considered big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 08:49 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,501,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post
It wouldn't be more of a challenge. I'm just saying that pro/rel in the US wouldn't be like pro/rel in Europe, where few teams dominate the league every year. Instead, it would be like Argentinian/Brazilian pro/rel, where there are more teams considered big.
You said geography is a reason why pro/rel wouldn't work here. So, are you saying it would work here?

Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
You said geography is a reason why pro/rel wouldn't work here. So, are you saying it would work here?
????

I never said it wouldn't work.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:14 AM

653 posts, read 540,722 times
I follow soccer all over the word and watch many matches either on internet or TV; I have a big interest in the way sports league are structured: Closed League (like NFL), Open "Promotion and Relegation", Superleague "UEFA" style.

I feel that the reason why MLS has chosen a single-entity league is that it is still pretty much in "start-up"mode.

The reason is that soccer in the US would have real trouble surviving against the Big 4 leagues: NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL.

the single-entity is terrific from a cost-control perspective, because no teams are owned by any single rich individual or tycoon; rather, it is a collective ownership of owners invested in the league as a whole; it prevents over-competitive bidding among the different teams: it keeps cost, spending and expenses among the teams in check, and it allows centralized command and control.

It gives the league time to build and grow interest in a sport that has limited presence in the US compared to American football or soccer.

In contrast, the "Closed" system works best in a country that is already crazy about the sport.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 PM

200 posts, read 539,075 times
I have to think relegation is not really part of the American mindset. Americans are so used to playoffs and sudden death playoff matches that the regular season to them doesn't hold the same appeal as it does aboard. I personally think its more exciting than following a whole regular season of matches albeit you do have knock-out cups like FA, uefa and champions league in Europe. Relegation is meant for more with a country that has a long tradition of soccer and the relegation actually means something more to them than a nascent soccer league.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
I have to think relegation is not really part of the American mindset. Americans are so used to playoffs and sudden death playoff matches that the regular season to them doesn't hold the same appeal as it does aboard. I personally think its more exciting than following a whole regular season of matches albeit you do have knock-out cups like FA, uefa and champions league in Europe. Relegation is meant for more with a country that has a long tradition of soccer and the relegation actually means something more to them than a nascent soccer league.
Back in the days the Brazilian League (I'm Brazilian by the way) had both playoffs and relegation. I miss that, I think it's much better.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:18 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,501,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
Soccer fans in this country are being socialized into the game through other soccer leagues. So, relegation is definitely part of that mindset. Most soccer fans I talk to want pro/rel in our soccer pyramid. The loudest anti-pro rel stuff comes from MLS snobs on horrible sites like big soccer.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 PM

3,507 posts, read 1,704,338 times
I think Relegation won't work because after our top 15 or 20 MSA's and even CSA's the other metro's wouldn't be able to draw nearly as much people. Except for the metros with High foreign born population and ones with abnormal amount of Hispanics or Upper Middle Class People (Girls Soccer), most metro's under 2 million acutally even 3 million couldn't keep a team. The only thing that might work is if their is a lack of a professional sports team like Las Vegas, then maybe they could keep a team or Tucson etc, but more than likely if their isn't a Professional Team and even College team and the metro is under 2-3 million, their is only about 20 metros which equate to about 23 teams or so (LA and NYC will have multiple teams along with a possible third for one or Chicago/ BosWash/ San Fran with 2. A second league would be more laughable than the 2nd Championship league in the U.K (4th tier league) and would probably have similar attendance recocrds, probably with possibly larger stadiums making the crowd look laughable, at the end of the day the other 2 leagues besides the MLS play at U.S College Soccer level almost no difference, even the MLS can feel good about them.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:11 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,581,422 times
I wouldn't mind the North American MLS adopting the MLS but I think the sport is NOT quite at the level where it can support that (in terms of popularity at least)!

Old 03-14-2016, 01:39 PM

10,426 posts, read 12,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
Why would MLS want to expand to small television markets such as Rochester, Wilmington, and Harrisburg? And what makes you think that owners in those cities would want to pony up a $100 million expansion fee? Let's be realistic here. Of those cities, only Pittsburgh has a remote chance of having a MLS franchise one day. And I don't see that happening anytime soon because there are larger television markets to be had (where median annual incomes are higher, which appeals to the corporate advertisers).

Promotion and relegation will never happen in the U.S. because the league doesn't want to lose teams from the most coveted markets (NY, LA, Chicago). The television networks won't pay much for MLS rights if the largest markets are not represented in the league. Also, relegation to a second division would kill attendance. You cannot expect fans in existing MLS cities to settle for minor league soccer games when they are used to watching their teams in the top-flight. Similarly, you cannot expect owners to make an investment risk ($100M expansion fee for starters) when there is no guarantee that the team will remain in MLS.

Fans in smaller markets that aren't worthy of Major League Soccer will have to settle for minor league and amateur soccer (or they can support the closest MLS team like Don Garber told Cleveland fans to do) because pro/rel will never happen in this country.
I said move 5 teams from the 3rd league to the 2nd league, the 1st league (MLS) should just keep 20 teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or