Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 02:46 PM

175 posts, read 202,064 times

Advertisements

Cracking game at the bridge, bit of an old skool affair. Nice to see players getting stuck in. A nice hostile atmosphere. Didn't realise the hatred between spuds and chavski was that bad. Bet there was a bit of trouble after the game.

Well done Leicester though, great achievement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 06:40 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,589,810 times
Ryad Mahrez is the best player of the English Premier League this year !

Old 05-08-2016, 06:47 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
lol. I love how Ranieri tells the crowd to pipe down...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jSFtbP8fQ

Old 05-12-2016, 03:45 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Newcastle United relegated: Rafa Benitez's team are most expensive Premier League flops ever*

Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times
Bit harsh calling it Rafa's team, he only took over in March.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:43 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,270,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Bit harsh calling it Rafa's team, he only took over in March.
Yeah.

That said his inherited team probably made a lot of Arsenal fans happy.

Leading Tottenham 2-1 before going down a man, then putting another three past them, they only needed a point to come runners up, and Newcastle had nothing to gain win, lose or draw. To consider the team flops after that performance is not very complimentary to Pochettino or the Spurs squad.

Newcastle have for a long time been a lot like the Keystone Kops (and I'm a supporter). It's only really in the John Hall era with Keegan managing, and Shepherds era with Robson managing that the ownership and management weren't at odds (although both eras ended because of disagreements between the chairman and manager).

Old 05-18-2016, 11:50 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,149,140 times
So what do we figure are the odds for the top-6 this year to move up, down or sideways next year? I'll throw my opinion out there and let's see in 12 months how close I was. Realizing that there are still the Euros and the summer transfer window, but hey.

Leicester: Ultimately, it depends on the owners' and Ranieri's ability to build a team suited for multiple competitions, as well as to retain the services of Vardy, Mahrez and (probably most importantly) Kante. The Foxes have been great at shoveling away deadwood (Benalouane, Inler, De Laet, Kramaric), but these players will need to be replaced with viable alternatives if they are in with any kind of shout of doing things in Europe next year (for me, getting out of the group stages will be a brilliant achievement) and staying in the top quarter of the Prem. I'm going to have them fifth, then, simply because the experience isn't quite all there and I don't have the confidence of them keeping the core together.

Arsenal: The team is built for one thing only - automatic CL qualification. I'm not quite sure what the purpose of it is because they never seem to do a flippin' thing there, but the money is good, so there's that. If they pry away Kante from Leicester, they may do damage on both sides, but they need a summer of transfers that doesn't culminate in Cech and Elneny. I personally don't think they will win another Prem title with Wenger at the helm. Locker room leadership will be at a premium with Arteta having gone. Fourth.

Tottenham: I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they will win it next year. Tremendous young core, not many players to lose and those they do lose will be replaced capably (Chadli and Lamela among my picks to go). Just gave Poch his bumper deal and he will be keen to prove that the blip at the end of the season was just that. Assuming they avoid major injuries to players like Kane, Alli, Alderweireld and Lloris and add a couple more premium to semi-premium pieces to cover for Europe, they look the part for me.

Manchester City: Pep is a tremendous manager and much, again (see a pattern yet?), will depend on the players he is able to bring with him to the Emirates. Their defense needs a major overhaul - not one of their starters is good enough to challenge for the title, for me. Many, many gaps to be plugged - defense, wings, reserve GK, third forward (Bony has got to go). It can't all be Kun and KDB - an injury to one of them and bye-bye, title chase. Iheanacho is a solid talent who should come on strong in his first full season. I'll have them second but only just.

Manchester United: Oh, good, I can break with tradition for my club and say that it's not just transfers. If LVG stays, I have them seventh. If he goes, I have them third. It takes a very special kind of player to want to come play for van Gaal and the players that we actually need aren't those. I am actually not clamoring for Mourinho unlike most of my fellow Devil fans, but van Gaal's "we'll bore you to death" brand of football needs to go and the primary concern should be bringing in a manager who is adept at developing budding talents. United has always been built from within, not by opening up the kitty every transfer window and we need to get back to doing this. There aren't many egos on this team, but there is a tremendous lot of as-yet-unrealized potential. I still believe that the right manager can bring out the best in Memphis and Januzaj; Martial and Rashford need to have that energy sustained and Rooney needs to be sold down the river to the glue factory (but Carrick kept). Mistakes of last year when quality talent was available but ignored (Alderweireld went to Tottenham for peanuts while we still have a giant hole in central defense that LVG has tried to plug with Blind, to various degrees of success) cannot be repeated anymore. Stop going for the blockbuster deals - a great team isn't going to be instantly brought back to the top by splashing tons of cash as we've seen in these last few transfer windows. Recovery will take time, but at this point it looks like Klopp has more of a shout of doing a United than United. Ibrahimovic would be a great one-season rental, but it won't happen with Lou at the helm.

West Ham: Sixth is where they should have been this year, sixth is where they realistically should finish next year, barring a slew of acquisitions that pan out right away. I could see them as high as third if they land the likes of Lacazette. The stadium move is going to be their wild card: if it's enough of an attraction to some of the first- and second- major tier talent in Europe, Champions' League isn't outside the realm of possibility. They have finally stopped playing over-the-top football of the Carlton Cole days and are now a joy to watch. Payet can be somewhat fragile, so monitoring his health will be at the top of the list of priorities.

Sparing a thought for Chelsea and Liverpool, I do think both will threaten the top three as well. I have all the faith in the world in Conte (my wife will be particularly happy to hear this, being a long-term Juve fan), but, much like Pep with City, it will take time for him to build up his squad. Klopp is well on his way to doing so but will likely need another year to integrate the likes of Ojo and Origi on a full-time basis. So, figure it like this:

1. Tottenham
2. Manchester City
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Leicester
6. West Ham
7. Manchester United
8. Liverpool

Old 05-21-2016, 02:26 PM

16,655 posts, read 17,419,998 times
Interesting- just as Man Utd are celebrating winning the FA Cup this evening, it appears that Mourinho will be announced as their new manager on Tuesday.

If true, and the source appears to be a good one, then Van Gaal didn't do enough to stay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36351371

Old 05-21-2016, 03:12 PM

167 posts, read 125,512 times
Good for Mourinho, but I thought they wanted good offense? It's weird to go from Van Gaal to Mourinho.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:20 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,149,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Interesting- just as Man Utd are celebrating winning the FA Cup this evening, it appears that Mourinho will be announced as their new manager on Tuesday.

If true, and the source appears to be a good one, then Van Gaal didn't do enough to stay.

Jose Mourinho: Manchester United to appoint former Chelsea boss - BBC Sport
It's not surprising as Mourinho-to-United was the worst-kept secret in the footballing world. The FA Cup was never going to save LvG. Timing may have been questionable, but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer