Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 01:52 PM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times

Advertisements

Just as I posted last year, unbelievably the new season is nearly upon us!

Arsenal beat Chelsea 1-0 in the traditional Charity Shield warm up yesterday.

Out have gone Hull, Burnley and Queens Park Rangers.

In are Norwich, Watford, and amazingly a team who play close to where I live, Bournemouth.

Bournemouth were actually the Football League Championship winners last season. Not so long ago they nearly went out of existence and have a very small ground on the south coast of England.

Anyhow, here is the thread for all things related to the new season.

Are Chelsea favourites again? Will Arsenal finally pull their finger out and win the title after so many wasted years? Will Man United get their act together?

Are the new boys going to go straight back down again or will Newcastle United be as dire as last season and take the plunge?

Time will tell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 PM

112 posts, read 112,021 times
Spent many a happy/miserable afternoon at Dean Court the home of the mighty AFC Bournemouth. I think we will be fine this season Dean Court will be a fortress and we will surprise quite a few teams with our pace and attitude. Lucky to be able to watch all of AFCB matches on Telly here in the States so im a happy Bunny. I think Chelsea will win the League with all the usual suspects taking the CL places. Leicester, Villa and Sunderland to go down. I really hope Brentford get promoted cos they are my Dads and Cousins Team. UP THE CHERRIES.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:39 AM

946 posts, read 1,134,373 times
Can someone explain to me how the championship work for EPL? Last season Chelsea won but I didn't see any "championship" game.

Is the EUFA championship this year also?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:45 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post
Can someone explain to me how the championship work for EPL? Last season Chelsea won but I didn't see any "championship" game.

The Premiere League does not have a playoff. There are 20 teams - everyone plays each other twice - once at home and once on the road so each team plays a total of 38 games. A win equals 3 points for a win and 1 point for a tie. At the end of the season the team that has the most points in crowned champion.

I could be wrong, but I believe if two teams were to be tied at the end of the season, a playoff match would happen at a neutral venue.

The UEFA Euro will be happening in the summer of 2016, France is hosting it this time around.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:54 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe if two teams were to be tied at the end of the season, a playoff match would happen at a neutral venue.
You are indeed wrong. If 2 teams are tied for a position based on points, the first tie breaker is goal difference (better goal difference wins). 2nd tie breaker is goals scored. If, on the completely unreasonable chance 2 teams tie on all 3 of those criteria, then a playoff match would be played on neutral ground.

This would go for championship spot, top 3, top 4, euro spots, and relegation spots.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post

EUFA is like the Olympics every 4 years. Last one was in 2012 so the next installment is in 2016, final qualifiers are about halfway through and will resume again in September.

As for the regular season table: There is no "playoff" like American sports, once the regular season is over, it's over. Also unlike American Sports, the first tiebreaker is goal differential, so even if 1 team went 2-0 against the other, if team that was 0-2 has a +76 goal differential, while the team that was 2-0 only has a +68 goal differential, the 0-2 team gets the tiebreaker. I don't get it either, but that's what it is. That tiebreaker goes down the table as well 1- through 20.
Top 2 teams at end of year get automatic qualifying to the next year's UEFA Champions league, the top tournament in Europe. 3rd place team also goes into Champions league, but they go into the qualifying pool. 4th & 5th finishers head to the UEFA European League, while 6th place goes into European League qualifying. There's others ways you can end up in Europa qualifying, winning the FA cup I believe is one way to qualify but there's others I don't know. (for example West Ham, who last year finished 11th or 12th got put into qualifying, and had Aston Villa who finished like 14th or so beaten Arsenal in the FA Cup, they would have gone into qualifying as well).
UEFA & Europa qualifying for the new year start in late June early July, while the group stages start around September I believe.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:56 PM

As a Spurs fan, I'm getting tired of playing Europa League games! If we can't finish in the top 3 (and I still don't think there as good as Arsenal or Chelsea) I wouldn't mind dropping out of the top 6 and letting a team like Southammpton, West Brom, Newcastle (if they turn it around this year) take their spot in the Europa League.

I say Bournemouth, Aston Villa and Sunderland get relegated to Championship. Out of Championship I'll take Birmingham, Derby, and Cardiff to get promoted.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:06 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Dont you get a CL spot for winning the Europa now ? Spurs should just try and be good instead =)

Old 08-06-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Dont you get a CL spot for winning the Europa now ? Spurs should just try and be good instead =)
I sevilla in CL this year, I don't even know?? Seems to me Sevilla is the only team that actually cares about Europa. If they do indeed get a CL spot, I wonder if they'd decline just to go to Europa??

Old 08-06-2015, 07:12 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Google got me this

Quote:
Search Results

The winner of the UEFA Europa League qualifies for the UEFA Super Cup, and from the 2014–15 season onwards the winner of the UEFA Europa League also qualifies for the next edition of the UEFA Champions League.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer