U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 07:45 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,149,118 times

Advertisements

Last night CF Monterrey inaugurated their new stadium in a friendly vs. Benfica. The stadium is fantastic. Here's an article with pictures of the stadium from the Kansas City Business Journal. The KC based firm, Populous, was the architect.

Populous designs first-of-its-kind stadium in Mexico - Kansas City Business Journal

The stadium during construction:

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 08:38 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,428,040 times
That seems to be the new look of stadiums today, kind of like a worm curling up. Stadiums used to be more boxy, but this one looks good.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:32 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,149,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
That seems to be the new look of stadiums today, kind of like a worm curling up. Stadiums used to be more boxy, but this one looks good.

It seems that the look many club owners are looking for is a futuristic rounded look and cladded with metal like the one in the article. I like the boxy look like the older parks in the BPL. They seem very intimate and the spectators are close to the pitch.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:38 PM

152 posts, read 125,328 times
Pretty nice stadium, finally Latin America(notably Brazil, Argentina and Mexico) is building good modern stadiums. I hope our teams can get back to playing at the same level against Europeans soon .

Anyway, no stadium in the world is more intimidating than La Bombonera:

Old 08-06-2015, 11:19 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,409,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post
Pretty nice stadium, finally Latin America(notably Brazil, Argentina and Mexico) is building good modern stadiums. I hope our teams can get back to playing at the same level against Europeans soon .

Anyway, no stadium in the world is more intimidating than La Bombonera:
Those umbrella's intimidate the hell out of me

Old 08-06-2015, 11:20 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,409,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
It seems that the look many club owners are looking for is a futuristic rounded look and cladded with metal like the one in the article. I like the boxy look like the older parks in the BPL. They seem very intimate and the spectators are close to the pitch.
I always thought the square stadiums which were right on the pitch were the best. Most of the modern stadiums look cool from the outside but aren't that great overall imho

Old 08-07-2015, 08:38 AM

152 posts, read 125,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I always thought the square stadiums which were right on the pitch were the best. Most of the modern stadiums look cool from the outside but aren't that great overall imho
I agree and that's why I showed La Bombonera hehe

With these modern security and confort rules for creating stadiums, if they wanted to build La Bombonera today I doubt the authorities would allow it, because of this:

They didn't have a big area to build the stadium but they still wanted a big one. The solution was "squeezing" the floors with almost no inclination which made it steep - It's so steep that they had to put these handrails so people won't fall into the lower floors/pitch(look at this picture):

It's looks scary to the crowd but even more scary to the players, it seems like 40 thousand people are falling into the pitch.

The crowd is so close to the pitch that when Boca Juniors is taking a corner kick, people take selfies with the players. When the away team is going to take it, the football player gets cursed or sometimes even spat on the face.

Also, there's the fireworks/paper show before the match and the supporters climbing the fence and making smoke during the whole match.

Sadly sometimes Boca Juniors' supporters go to far, like during the last Round of 16 in Copa Libertadores. They threw pepper gas in River Plate's locker room, burning a few players. Obviously Boca Juniors got kicked out of the competition and they got the worst punishment they could: River Plate(their eternal rival, probably the biggest rivalry in the world) ended up being champion this week.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or