U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-26-2015, 01:41 PM
 
152 posts, read 125,243 times
Reputation: 141

Advertisements

Recently there's been conversations about creating a new competition involving clubs from both CONMEBOL(South America) and CONCACAF(North/Central America). What they actually want with this is to create a new competition with the purpose of being as important as the UEFA Champions League. 64 teams would play this competition: 16 from MLS, 16 from Brazil, 10 from Argentina, 10 from Mexico and a maximum of 3 from each other country in the Americas. Here's my question: What do you think about it?

Here's what I think:

Pros:
- Much more money: Each team would receive $5 million just to play the competition. The winner would receive much more.

- Public: The Americas have a population of more than 900 million people, 30% more than Europe.

- Benefits for the teams: Lots of South American teams are as succesful as the big European teams but they have been losing a lot of power and importance in the past 20 years. With this competition they could get back to being internationally recognized. North American teams, especially the American ones have small international importance, but they have been improving. With this competition they would play against better teams and could develop a lot.

Cons:
- Long trips: Imagine a match between Montreal Impact(Canada) and Huachipato(Chile). It's a really long flight. With organization I believe it's possible to play matches like this, but the visiting team would probably need "bye weeks" in the national league they play.

Winter/Summer: The competition would start in February and end in November. Imagine Huachipato and Montreal. In February Montreal is freezing and Talcahuano(Huachipato's city) burning. The opposite in June(although Talcahuano isn't as cold as Montreal, but it's still cold).


In my opinion, long trips could be avoided if they adopt a conference system like all American leagues, South American conference and North/Central American conference. I think it would be nice. In the regular season there would be a few matches between teams of different conferences(few long trips), then in the playoffs teams would only face teams from the same conference. And the 2 conference champions would play against each other to define the big champion.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2015, 02:29 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,888,035 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post
Recently there's been conversations about creating a new competition involving clubs from both CONMEBOL(South America) and CONCACAF(North/Central America). What they actually want with this is to create a new competition with the purpose of being as important as the UEFA Champions League. 64 teams would play this competition: 16 from MLS, 16 from Brazil, 10 from Argentina, 10 from Mexico and a maximum of 3 from each other country in the Americas. Here's my question: What do you think about it?

Here's what I think:

Pros:
- Much more money: Each team would receive $5 million just to play the competition. The winner would receive much more.

- Public: The Americas have a population of more than 900 million people, 30% more than Europe.

- Benefits for the teams: Lots of South American teams are as succesful as the big European teams but they have been losing a lot of power and importance in the past 20 years. With this competition they could get back to being internationally recognized. North American teams, especially the American ones have small international importance, but they have been improving. With this competition they would play against better teams and could develop a lot.

Cons:
- Long trips: Imagine a match between Montreal Impact(Canada) and Huachipato(Chile). It's a really long flight. With organization I believe it's possible to play matches like this, but the visiting team would probably need "bye weeks" in the national league they play.

Winter/Summer: The competition would start in February and end in November. Imagine Huachipato and Montreal. In February Montreal is freezing and Talcahuano(Huachipato's city) burning. The opposite in June(although Talcahuano isn't as cold as Montreal, but it's still cold).


In my opinion, long trips could be avoided if they adopt a conference system like all American leagues, South American conference and North/Central American conference. I think it would be nice. In the regular season there would be a few matches between teams of different conferences(few long trips), then in the playoffs teams would only face teams from the same conference. And the 2 conference champions would play against each other to define the big champion.
You're talking about a MASSIVE geographic area. You're also not going to fully eliminate long trips once the teams from the US and Canada eventually have to play Brazil and Argentina clubs. What happens if say Seattle has to play a team from Argentina in the quarterfinals and then a team from say Rio in the semifinals? Seattle to say Rio is more that twice as long as Seattle to Orlando. That means if the game is on a Wednesday, Seattle is leaving on Sunday, or Monday to head down there. Then they have to recover from the 6,800 mile trip. That much travel would simply be far too much.

16 MLS teams?16 from Brazil? 10 from Argentina? That's far too many from each and would water down the competition.

In the end, no other competition club competition will ever exceed, match or come close to the prestige and importance of the UEFA Champions League.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2015, 02:33 PM
 
Location: 🇬🇧 In jolly old London! 🇬🇧
15,672 posts, read 8,420,484 times
Reputation: 12408
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You're talking about a MASSIVE geographic area. You're also not going to fully eliminate long trips once the teams from the US and Canada eventually have to play Brazil and Argentina clubs. What happens if say Seattle has to play a team from Argentina in the quarterfinals and then a team from say Rio in the semifinals? Seattle to say Rio is more that twice as long as Seattle to Orlando. That means if the game is on a Wednesday, Seattle is leaving on Sunday, or Monday to head down there. Then they have to recover from the 6,800 mile trip. That much travel would simply be far too much.

16 MLS teams?16 from Brazil? 10 from Argentina? That's far too many from each and would water down the competition.

In the end, no other competition club competition will ever exceed, match or come close to the prestige and importance of the UEFA Champions League.
Apart from the mls the teams from South America wouldn't have the funds to compete. Its a good idea but as 99% of the star players are in Europe it wouldnt get the same coverage
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2015, 02:57 PM
 
152 posts, read 125,243 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You're talking about a MASSIVE geographic area. You're also not going to fully eliminate long trips once the teams from the US and Canada eventually have to play Brazil and Argentina clubs. What happens if say Seattle has to play a team from Argentina in the quarterfinals and then a team from say Rio in the semifinals? Seattle to say Rio is more that twice as long as Seattle to Orlando. That means if the game is on a Wednesday, Seattle is leaving on Sunday, or Monday to head down there. Then they have to recover from the 6,800 mile trip. That much travel would simply be far too much.

16 MLS teams?16 from Brazil? 10 from Argentina? That's far too many from each and would water down the competition.

In the end, no other competition club competition will ever exceed, match or come close to the prestige and importance of the UEFA Champions League.
I also believe that's too many teams.
Regarding the first part of your post, that's why I said this:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post
In my opinion, long trips could be avoided if they adopt a conference system like all American leagues, South American conference and North/Central American conference. I think it would be nice. In the regular season there would be a few matches between teams of different conferences(few long trips), then in the playoffs teams would only face teams from the same conference. And the 2 conference champions would play against each other to define the big champion.
_______________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Apart from the mls the teams from South America wouldn't have the funds to compete. Its a good idea but as 99% of the star players are in Europe it wouldnt get the same coverage
The top 4 teams in Libertadores could play against most UEFA Champions League teams at the same level, even without many stars. Also, 20 years ago most South American stars played in South American teams, why couldn't they play there again?

Teams from Brazil and Argentina undoubtedly do have funds to compete. Teams from other countries aren't rich, but they have money to play against Mexicans in Libertadores cup. Why wouldn't they have money to play against Americans for example(you also have to consider they would get $5 million just to join the competition, much more than they get in Libertadores).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2015, 03:30 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,888,035 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post
I also believe that's too many teams.
Regarding the first part of your post, that's why I said this:




_______________



The top 4 teams in Libertadores could play against most UEFA Champions League teams at the same level, even without many stars. Also, 20 years ago most South American stars played in South American teams, why couldn't they play there again?

Teams from Brazil and Argentina undoubtedly do have funds to compete. Teams from other countries aren't rich, but they have money to play against Mexicans in Libertadores cup. Why wouldn't they have money to play against Americans for example(you also have to consider they would get $5 million just to join the competition, much more than they get in Libertadores).

I understood what you said, but you will eventually have teams from the US and Canada playing teams from Argentina and Brazil. You can limit the number of times they play by having the divisions, but in the end those long trips will still occur and if a team makes a deep run they will be most likely making multiple trips.

Also one of the nice things about the UEFA Champions League is that in the group stage you have all the countries mixing it up with one another. So you have clubs from Turkey, Russia, Ukraine and Greece playing clubs from England, Spain, Portugal, France and Netherlands. Having the divisions to keep the teams from North and South America separate would eliminate that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2015, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,854 posts, read 6,376,459 times
Reputation: 5804
I dont see this happening soon. It's a logistical nightmare for every league in the America's. Who's going to finance travel?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 03:31 PM
 
102 posts, read 74,011 times
Reputation: 87
I think it's a great idea. North American football will develop immensely if it is allowed to directly engage with the more developed footballing culture of the south. In terms of distance, it isn't dissimilar to some Russian teams travelling immense distances to western Europe. Although the real problem lies in the fact that the distances are from north to south, rather than east to west, creating seasonal differences. So schedules may overlap, but I think it could be worked out. It's in the best interests of North America to make this work.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Southern Italy
2,986 posts, read 2,105,438 times
Reputation: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post
Recently there's been conversations about creating a new competition involving clubs from both CONMEBOL(South America) and CONCACAF(North/Central America). What they actually want with this is to create a new competition with the purpose of being as important as the UEFA Champions League. 64 teams would play this competition: 16 from MLS, 16 from Brazil, 10 from Argentina, 10 from Mexico and a maximum of 3 from each other country in the Americas. Here's my question: What do you think about it?

Here's what I think:

Pros:
- Much more money: Each team would receive $5 million just to play the competition. The winner would receive much more.

- Public: The Americas have a population of more than 900 million people, 30% more than Europe.

- Benefits for the teams: Lots of South American teams are as succesful as the big European teams but they have been losing a lot of power and importance in the past 20 years. With this competition they could get back to being internationally recognized. North American teams, especially the American ones have small international importance, but they have been improving. With this competition they would play against better teams and could develop a lot.

Cons:
- Long trips: Imagine a match between Montreal Impact(Canada) and Huachipato(Chile). It's a really long flight. With organization I believe it's possible to play matches like this, but the visiting team would probably need "bye weeks" in the national league they play.

Winter/Summer: The competition would start in February and end in November. Imagine Huachipato and Montreal. In February Montreal is freezing and Talcahuano(Huachipato's city) burning. The opposite in June(although Talcahuano isn't as cold as Montreal, but it's still cold).


In my opinion, long trips could be avoided if they adopt a conference system like all American leagues, South American conference and North/Central American conference. I think it would be nice. In the regular season there would be a few matches between teams of different conferences(few long trips), then in the playoffs teams would only face teams from the same conference. And the 2 conference champions would play against each other to define the big champion.
Coudl you provide me with a link? I have never heard of this idea. I think it doesn't make much sense, why should MLS be allotted so many spots when their 16th placed team is much weaker than 16th placed Argentine or Mexican one or the 4th Colombian one? Anyway, the cons easily outweigh the pros for me. It should be made but not in the format that has been proposed
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 07:31 AM
 
152 posts, read 125,243 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Coudl you provide me with a link? I have never heard of this idea. I think it doesn't make much sense, why should MLS be allotted so many spots when their 16th placed team is much weaker than 16th placed Argentine or Mexican one or the 4th Colombian one? Anyway, the cons easily outweigh the pros for me. It should be made but not in the format that has been proposed
CONMEBOL CONCACAF Champions League planned - Riccardo Silva - ESPN FC

About the number of MLS teams, I agree with you. I guess they want more teams from big markets and from places where there are teams with national and international history. These places would be:

Big market: USA*, Brazil, Mexico.

Places with historically good teams: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Uruguay.

* I'm aware football (soccer) isn't that big in the US, but given the size of the American population, there are probably more soccer fans in the US than in most Central American and some South American countries.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 AM
 
Location: San Diego
564 posts, read 430,057 times
Reputation: 546
CONCACAF is hard enough for the USA. A true Trans-American Confederation would obscure us. It might be interesting to watch, but it would obscure us.

I admit to wishing the Club Would Cup had about twice as many teams, but the calendar is just too congested for that.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top