U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2008, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
2,221 posts, read 2,658,338 times
Reputation: 482

Advertisements

Ok X, we will have to agree to disagree. I have played soccer before and I know that it does take coordination, I am just saying those other sports take more IMO. I think its harder to hit a 95mph fastball than to dribble a ball down the field, or stand in the pocket with guys running at you trying to kill you, then step up and throw a perfectly thrown ball 30yds down the field.

I think that is one of the problems, soccer does not get as much respect as all the other sports. It's not as popular, does not grab as much of the headlines, and some of the best players don't play here. In football, baseball, and basketball we have the best of the best right here. So we are more inclined to follow those sports. I don't take anything away from the atheletes at all. They do what I can't. But I do prefer the other sports more. It is nice to be able to disagree, without getting personal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2008, 12:38 AM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,012,808 times
Reputation: 1682
There is no denying that Football (soccer) is the fastest growing sport in America. In fact, I will even be so bold to say that by the year 2050 it will be the #1 sport in the country. By that time census figures indicate that 1 in every 4 Americans will be latino. Those future demographics certainly dont hurt the MLS. Am i totally off base here or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2008, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,841,166 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Ok X, we will have to agree to disagree. I have played soccer before and I know that it does take coordination, I am just saying those other sports take more IMO. I think its harder to hit a 95mph fastball than to dribble a ball down the field, or stand in the pocket with guys running at you trying to kill you, then step up and throw a perfectly thrown ball 30yds down the field.

I think that is one of the problems, soccer does not get as much respect as all the other sports. It's not as popular, does not grab as much of the headlines, and some of the best players don't play here. In football, baseball, and basketball we have the best of the best right here. So we are more inclined to follow those sports. I don't take anything away from the atheletes at all. They do what I can't. But I do prefer the other sports more. It is nice to be able to disagree, without getting personal.

Fair enough, agree to disagree.

But you've hit the nail on the head here in one regard and that is our best athletes here in the US do not play soccer. I completely agree with you on that point. Our best athletes in the US play football, basketball and baseball and that might be part of the reason soccer is not that popular. Can you imagine, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, LT, Randy Moss, Joseph Addai, Clinton Portis, Devin Hester and so on and so forth playing soccer? That would generate alot more interest and really boost the level of our soccer. Right now, when you look at our National Team, as good as they are and they've become, you still see our 2nd string athletes, you don't see Lebrons of our country playing.

Another reason in my opinion is that, in the US, Soccer is an upper middle class kids' sport, not the inner city kids. The whole soccer mom stereotype is based on upper middle class well off families in the suburbs driving their kids to these well manacured soccer fields to play with other suburban kids. In other parts of the world where soccer is very popular, soccer is played everywhere including on the street, in rough parts of the inner city as well as the suburbs and you have your best athletes playing it, I think that makes a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
2,221 posts, read 2,658,338 times
Reputation: 482
Hey X, you can make a claim that baseball is not getting all of our best athletes either. It's turning into a upper middle class sport in this country and getting most of its talent from outside of the country. Look at all the controversy around Jackie Robinson day when a lot of the black athletes were coming out complaining about how there are not alot of black athletes in baseball. But the difference is, baseball already has a tradition in the country, soccer doesn't.

Even if Moss, LT, Hester, Lebron etc. played soccer, they would still not be getting the publicity and fame that they would with their own sports. Americans want instant gratification, most of us like teams that do alot of scoring. I don't think soccer gives us that. They have tried soccer leagues in America before and they have failed. I'm not saying that the MLS is going to fail, but soccer does not have a great history in this country.

Interpol, I disagree, I can't see soccer taking over as the nations sport. Even if our demographic changes, when it comes down to it, money talks. The NFL has surpassed baseball as the top sport and the revenue it is bringing in is off the charts. IMO you won't have billionaires and company's throwing in tons of money to have soccer take off like that. And it costs a lot to even go to a game. People who have season tickets (which is what teams need to survive) are all well off(for the most part), it isn't cheap especially now with the PSLs. Even above that luxury boxes, who can afford those. And if soccer can draw better athletes like X hopes for, what is going to happen, salaries go up and so does the cost of everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 33,538,378 times
Reputation: 5566
Soccer is definitely a real sport, and those people are indeed athletes. I just cannot get into soccer. I've tried, but I get bored watching it. If I grew up playing the sport I might be a fan but maybe not; I grew up playing baseball and cannot stand to watch it on TV.

Football as a sport is MADE for television and that's one of the reasons it is so popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 AM
 
Location: The Bay State
331 posts, read 1,482,977 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
haha..haha... Very funny! You obviously have NEVER played soccer. I love Football and basketball, don't get me wrong, but to label them as "real" sports, but not soccer is obsurd considering it takes a "real" athlete to play soccer. You play contineously for two 45 minute halves with no "timeouts", TV timeouts etc.... There is no separate "Defense group", "offense group" or "Special teams". You on the field are it, you play offense and defense contineously!! You not only have to be cardiovascularly fit but you also have to have upper body strengh, core muscle strength, lower body strengh in addition to amazing skill handling the ball. And to top that you have to be inteligent (soccer smarts), you have to make the right decisions on the field passing, shooting etc... There are 11 Point Guards on that field!

Anyone that doesn't think soccer is a "real" sport should get off the couch, put the remote down and try to play 1 half of soccer at a local pickup game and see how you feel.

This post pretty much gets to the heart of the soccer problem. Yes, it requires an enormous degree of strength, stamina, skill and coordination to play. It is also incredibly fun to play as a participant. BUT, for some reason, Americans can't bear to watch it. This even includes me, and I even played soccer for many, many years. Go figure. I don't know what it is that brings about this dichotomy, and I don't know why, but I flip right through a soccer game on TV. Until some sports-marketing-psychology person figures it out, soccer will never be really big here.

I've been hearing the "soccer is exploding" stuff for decades, since I was kid and Pele & Beckenbauer were playing in NY. We all know how that went. I think you're seeing a blip in popularity now, but I really don't see soccer challenging baseball, football or basketball here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,841,166 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
This post pretty much gets to the heart of the soccer problem. Yes, it requires an enormous degree of strength, stamina, skill and coordination to play. It is also incredibly fun to play as a participant. BUT, for some reason, Americans can't bear to watch it. This even includes me, and I even played soccer for many, many years. Go figure. I don't know what it is that brings about this dichotomy, and I don't know why, but I flip right through a soccer game on TV. Until some sports-marketing-psychology person figures it out, soccer will never be really big here.

I've been hearing the "soccer is exploding" stuff for decades, since I was kid and Pele & Beckenbauer were playing in NY. We all know how that went. I think you're seeing a blip in popularity now, but I really don't see soccer challenging baseball, football or basketball here.
Very good point. I think soccer for the US market needs to be "Americanized"!! What I mean is that, it needs to be tailored to fit the American audience. When you look at American Football, NFL, it's perfectly designed for a TV audience, where soccer is not. I am not sure how you'd do it, but I think that's what it would take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 10:06 AM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,370 posts, read 6,995,262 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Very good point. I think soccer for the US market needs to be "Americanized"!! What I mean is that, it needs to be tailored to fit the American audience. When you look at American Football, NFL, it's perfectly designed for a TV audience, where soccer is not. I am not sure how you'd do it, but I think that's what it would take.

Anything you did to Americanize it would ruin it. Look what we did to rugby!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 06:24 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,568,708 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
I think its harder to hit a 95mph fastball than to dribble a ball down the field, or stand in the pocket with guys running at you trying to kill you, then step up and throw a perfectly thrown ball 30yds down the field.
So you think it's hard to stand? That's some coordination you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Reputation: 7005
You know, I've always thought of soccer and America as:
  • Eating steak with fishsticks
  • Drinking a soda right after beer
  • Wearing a Star Wars episodes I-III shirts when your friends wear episodes IV-VI.
  • Shouting, "Go Cowboys!" at a Mavericks game.
You get what I mean by those? What I just listed were things that could go together and wouldn't be a bad thing, but something just doesn't work. You know?
Soccer and America aren't bad for eachother, and soccer is just as much a sport as anyother.
The main reason soccer hasn't become as big as you soccer fans would probably love it to be is simply because this is America.... the country that will do anything and everything to be seperate from the rest of the world (and I don't mean that in a bad way. I'm not tryin' to start a whole Rev. Wright thing here...). We have our own football that has more of a mystique and lore to it. I'm not saying there's none in soccer, but how many more times have you heard legendary stories about soccer matches than football games?

To you hardcore football/baseball/basketball/hockey fans who don't like soccer, that's fine, but you still have to respect it as a real sport.
And to you hardcore soccer fans here in the states... you just have to accept the fact that it would take ALOT for MLS and soccer in general to even compete with the Big Four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top