U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:48 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,594,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
You should check out Gaelic football, it's faster than soccer and has a lot more physical contact but still has a similar feel to soccer with the manner of play.
Or Aussie rules, as the two are very much alike. They even formed a hybrid code for a special tournament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 06:54 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,004,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Or Aussie rules, as the two are very much alike. They even formed a hybrid code for a special tournament.
Yep, I've watched international rules as it's called. I won't comment on the behavior of the aussie players in 2005 or 2006 so as to not offend anyone....

Good on the GAA for abandoning it.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 AM

3,350 posts, read 5,962,226 times
Quote:
Yep, I've watched international rules as it's called. I won't comment on the behavior of the aussie players in 2005 or 2006 so as to not offend anyone....

Good on the GAA for abandoning it.
That must have been quite a spectacle, though! What were the point values? How did they put the ball back into play after a score? I guess I could go look this up somewhere ...

Old 05-20-2008, 08:23 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,004,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
That must have been quite a spectacle, though! What were the point values? How did they put the ball back into play after a score? I guess I could go look this up somewhere ...
Most of the rules for international football follow Gaelic except the full tackle is allowed: 4 steps then bounce or solo, no touching the ball on the ground, 3 points in the net and 1 point over (no behinds), played with the round ball and not the footy ball. IMO, if they allow the full tackle then they need to revert to aussie rules for solo/bounce: ~15 meters. You really need to be able to go full out to avoid the tackle and if you have to solo every 4 steps or so it can really slow you down.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 AM

2,937 posts, read 3,065,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
boring . What do you think about baseball? This is the most boring sport in the world

Baseball is not boring at all. Actually baseball has more strategy and probably requires more thinking than other sports. I'm not downing soccer, I'm just starting to gain an appreciation for soccer as my son has started playing it, and have started watching some on TV.

Now if we want to talk about boring sports, I think we have to mention golf and NASCAR (if driving a car in circles can be considered a sport).

Old 05-20-2008, 11:42 AM

2,937 posts, read 3,065,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
There is no denying that Football (soccer) is the fastest growing sport in America. In fact, I will even be so bold to say that by the year 2050 it will be the #1 sport in the country. By that time census figures indicate that 1 in every 4 Americans will be latino. Those future demographics certainly dont hurt the MLS. Am i totally off base here or what?
Plus, more and more kids are playing soccer these days. Youth soccer leagues are booming while football and basketball are losing kids. As these kids who grew up playing soccer get older, soccer will gain more popularity in the U.S. as a pro sport.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:33 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,962,226 times
Quote:
Most of the rules for international football follow Gaelic except the full tackle is allowed: 4 steps then bounce or solo, no touching the ball on the ground, 3 points in the net and 1 point over (no behinds), played with the round ball and not the footy ball. IMO, if they allow the full tackle then they need to revert to aussie rules for solo/bounce: ~15 meters. You really need to be able to go full out to avoid the tackle and if you have to solo every 4 steps or so it can really slow you down.

Yeah, I can imagine so! Well, I'm sure it was fascinating to watch, but I like footy just the way it is. Not to mention Gaelic, even though I've seen very little of it so far.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:34 PM

716 posts, read 1,527,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post

Those NFL players are cutting, dodging, blocking, eluding tackles, jumping to catch a ball, busting through enormous linemen, having their bodies slammed to the ground with brutal collisions, and running at full speed for up to 100 yards. THAT is why they look exhausted. It's just a different kind of game that calls for a different kind of skill set.
Does that skill set include the ability to use steroids, shoot up strip clubs, fight dogs, cheat by video taping opponent's practices, etc, etc, etc?

Heard today that the Bengals have had 11 players arrested in 2 years. Yet most of you NFL fans fall all over yourselves to throw money at this crap.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:43 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,222,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Does that skill set include the ability to use steroids, shoot up strip clubs, fight dogs, cheat by video taping opponent's practices, etc, etc, etc?

Heard today that the Bengals have had 11 players arrested in 2 years. Yet most of you NFL fans fall all over yourselves to throw money at this crap.
This "crap" is just another pro sports leauge with it's problems. I know soccer has it's issues. I mean, at least NFL fans don't try to kill eachother in the stands and set stadiums on fire.....

If the MLS does stay around for as long as the NFL has, I'm more than sure we'll be hering about it's problems, too. Just give it time.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,685,071 times
Soccer has been expanding in the U.S. I think it's fun to play, but I honestly don't care to watch it much, mostly since I have no horse in the race (same with NBA). Plus, basketball is boring to me.

I like hockey because it's very fast-paced and I like baseball because anything can happen, even though it is a long and often slow game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or