Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I've heard the argument that the NFL is more exciting because more points are scored. That makes no sense...lots of NFL games end 14-7 or 10-3. A 14-7 score in the NFL is the exact same as 2-1 in soccer. Let's just make soccer goals worth 7 points and the weakness of that argument will be exposed.

As for the shootout, its much better than flipping a coin...and whoever wins the flip runs a couple of plays and sets up for a field goal. That sucks.
It's not the score.... that is a stupid argument. It's just the way the game is played, I guess. Besides, most football games don't end in overtime and ties.

I just don't think soccer is as exciting as football is. I'm just more into the hard hittin' Americanized rugby, a.k.a. "NFL style" football then the world's version, and you and I both know I'm not alone on that.
That's not a shot a soccer... it's just a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 11:22 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Does that skill set include the ability to use steroids, shoot up strip clubs, fight dogs, cheat by video taping opponent's practices, etc, etc, etc?

Heard today that the Bengals have had 11 players arrested in 2 years. Yet most of you NFL fans fall all over yourselves to throw money at this crap.
Oh, for heaven's sake. Not everyone in the NFL is a cheater or a thug. I enjoy the game, in spite of the bad seeds -- which, unfortunately, are present in every major American professional sport.

It's fine if you don't like American football, but you don't have to start ripping on its fans or tarring all of its players with the same broad brush.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
They show all NFL games in Europe in 30 minutes. In that 30 minute timeframe, they show every play including highlights for the big plays without commercial interruption. That is the only way they could get people to watch the games over there.

The fact that they are able to show every game including highlights in 30 minutes goes to show how much time is wasted in football.
But it's not "wasted," it's just the time taken to walk back to the huddle, make the call, line up at scrimmage, and so on. It's part of the game. That's just how it's paced. The action takes place in short bursts, and then the teams set up for another one. I could say a soccer match is mostly wasted with people aimlessly kicking the ball around, or that a baseball game is wasted on the pitcher taking his time up on the mound between pitches. People who love those sports would disagree, and they'd have every reason to do so. If people think too much time is "wasted," they just don't understand what's going on.

Maybe Europeans simply aren't attracted to the game, much in the same way many Americans aren't attracted to soccer. I don't think the long stretches of inaction would prevent Europeans from getting interested in gridiron. Ever see a cricket match???

Last edited by Adrian71; 05-27-2008 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-27-2008, 11:30 AM

19 posts, read 53,917 times
i agree with X greensboro res
It is one thing to "play" soccer and not have much coordination...but if you play at even a little advanced level..talking a 12 yr old premier team you definitely need to be coordinated or you wont make the cut and you wont want to play!! Baseball and, football does not take half the coordination of soccer!!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
And you gotta love all the commercials after a touchdown. then, they come back to the game...kick off...and right back to commercial.

what a great way to spend 4 hours of your life each sunday.
That's the part that drives me crazy ... all the TV timeouts. It's even worse if you're attending a game in person, just watching all these people mill about on the sidelines waiting for the commercials to end. At least at home, you have the ads to distract you!

I think it's the combination of the start-stop action of football and all the commercial breaks that make people think there's so much inactivity going on. If play were continuous, without the commercial breaks, I don't think a lot of people would find it so interminable.

It's like watching a European rugby match. There are lulls in the action, when guys get injured, or someone's lining up for a kick. But you don't notice the lull because there's never a breakaway for a commercial -- the game just keeps moving on.

Unfortunately, there's nothing anyone can do about pro football and all the ads. Someone needs to help pay those bloated salaries ...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I've heard the argument that the NFL is more exciting because more points are scored. That makes no sense...lots of NFL games end 14-7 or 10-3. A 14-7 score in the NFL is the exact same as 2-1 in soccer. Let's just make soccer goals worth 7 points and the weakness of that argument will be exposed.

As for the shootout, its much better than flipping a coin...and whoever wins the flip runs a couple of plays and sets up for a field goal. That sucks.
The people who say there isn't enough scoring will NEVER get into soccer. Those are the people with ADD who have to be constantly entertained. If there isn't constant scoring or constant action, they can't be bothered. I hear the same argument being leveled against hockey. Everyone wants smaller goalie equipment or bigger nets. Why? So the scores can be higher. Well, who needs more goals? Heck, a 1-0 defensive scuffle with amazing goalie saves is just as exciting as a 7-5 goalfest. Most of the time, the 1-0 game is MORE exciting. But there's just no convincing some people ...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
One other thing I wanted to say in my last post...

Another reason why I think most Americans take NFL over soccer is because, unlike just about every other sport, there is more than one way to score in football. You can get a field goal for 3 points and a safety for 2. They may not be as high scoring as a touchdown, but different.
One thing I always say about why Americans don't embrace pro soccer like most of the world does.....
We don't have the metric system like the rest of the world and not too many complain about that. So why do we have to be a soccer nation?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:42 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
The people who say there isn't enough scoring will NEVER get into soccer. Those are the people with ADD who have to be constantly entertained. If there isn't constant scoring or constant action, they can't be bothered. I hear the same argument being leveled against hockey. Everyone wants smaller goalie equipment or bigger nets. Why? So the scores can be higher. Well, who needs more goals? Heck, a 1-0 defensive scuffle with amazing goalie saves is just as exciting as a 7-5 goalfest. Most of the time, the 1-0 game is MORE exciting. But there's just no convincing some people ...
I agree, I don't dislike soccer because it's low scoring. I dislike it because good scoring opportunities are too easily disrupted or at least too difficult to put together, imo. There's a touch of drama every 10 minutes or so and compared to other sports it just doesn't excite me. Likewise, sports where scoring is too easy like basketball fail to excitement me just as much. Get rid of or modify the offsides rule and I'd probably get into it a LOT more.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I agree, I don't dislike soccer because it's low scoring. I dislike it because good scoring opportunities are too easily disrupted or at least too difficult to put together, imo. There's a touch of drama every 10 minutes or so and compared to other sports it just doesn't excite me. Likewise, sports where scoring is too easy like basketball fail to excitement me just as much. Get rid of or modify the offsides rule and I'd probably get into it a LOT more.
That's pretty much how I feel! I don't need to be constantly entertained, but there are just some sports that don't excite me. Baseball, auto racing, golf, and soccer and four I can think of off the top of my head. There's nothing wrong with them ... they're just not for me.

I don't like basketball for the same reason you mentioned. It's just score, score, score. Besides, there's something wrong with a game where goaltending is illegal.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
You're just making things up now. Even so, those 10 minutes are actually ten minutes, not 45 in the NFL. There's also an extra 30 of playing time, making the game 50% long and played in nearly half the time.

For the record, I'm a fan of both sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer