U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2008, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Reputation: 8601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It already has. The MLS has more TV contracts, on par with attendance, and I believe the MLS has passed them in sponsorship.
I suspected this was the case, or at the very least that it would be the case very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2008, 01:23 PM
 
Location: South Seattle Suburbs
3,350 posts, read 5,951,922 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
NBA's #2... unless you include college football, then yeah, it's #3. But like Acajack pointed out, MLS's best chance is to knock out the NHL... as America's #1 "non-American" sport. Yeah, that could happen. It is the Stanley Cup finals right now, yet I can't find a game on one of the major networks. Even the Arena Bowl is televised on ABC. Where's the Stanley Cup Finals, hockey's biggest event? On Versus.......
Versus carried the first two games. The rest of the series has been and will be on NBC. Saturday night, 8:00, was game 4. Game 5 is tomorrow at 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Brusssels
1,933 posts, read 3,417,902 times
Reputation: 1895
Interesting article on the state of US soccer.

Letters From Vagabondia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2008, 02:41 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,834 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
If you get rid of offsides, it would destroy the sport. It would become a cherry picking contest.

Just imagine if they got rid of the offsides rule in American Football and Defensive Linemen didnt have to wait to go after the QB and then every play would end in a sack. Thats about what it would do to soccer.
Poor analogy. It would be the same as adding a rule in Football saying that a defender has to be between a wide receiver and the goal line on a pass play. In addition, you don't see this kind of thing in Basketball or in Hockey... so, your argument fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2008, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefish View Post
Poor analogy. It would be the same as adding a rule in Football saying that a defender has to be between a wide receiver and the goal line on a pass play. In addition, you don't see this kind of thing in Basketball or in Hockey... so, your argument fails.
My point was the fact that eliminating offsides would change the entire game and basically ruin it. In that respect my argument is fair. Eliminating offside or neurtal zone infraction in football would ruin the game as football fans know it today. Which is exactly what it would do to soccer. I dont see how that argument fails at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2008, 03:54 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,567,378 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefish View Post
Poor analogy. It would be the same as adding a rule in Football saying that a defender has to be between a wide receiver and the goal line on a pass play.
Think about the line of scrimmage. This is essentially the case. The only difference is when you can make a pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top