Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
mostly since I have no horse in the race (same with NBA).

That will likely change in the next few years. A group is trying to get a expansion team for St. Louis. They were trying to get a stadium deal to be built in St. Charles. I will be surprised if they they dont have a team for the 2012 season. I am looking forward to it because it will give us a cross state rival and a road trip that isnt 10 hours long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 02:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
but I honestly don't care to watch it much, mostly since I have no horse in the race
Here are some people in your area who are lobbying for MLS. From what I understand, they're getting pretty close.
St. Louis - BigSoccer

Old 05-22-2008, 03:35 PM

Here is an article about St. Louis expansion as well:

STLtoday - Cooper: MLS nod is 'close' (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/othersports/story/E39AF47E51104D2886257451000F7FE1?OpenDocument - broken link)

Old 05-22-2008, 04:02 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Football as a sport is MADE for television and that's one of the reasons it is so popular.
yeah, lots of commercial breaks, TV timeouts, team timeouts, coaches challenges, etc. Somebody said it before but there's actually only 12-15mins of actual game being played in American football. 6 seconds of action and 35 of standing around.

no offense, just saying.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:23 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,803 times
And you gotta love all the commercials after a touchdown. then, they come back to the game...kick off...and right back to commercial.

what a great way to spend 4 hours of your life each sunday.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:34 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
And you gotta love all the commercials after a touchdown. then, they come back to the game...kick off...and right back to commercial.

yeah, that's the one that's most rediculous of all. WTF? they just took a bunch of commercials and one play (the Kick off) and more? how rediculously insane.

Most Americans just don't understand what it would be like to watch sporting events without all the commercials in them. they simply can't get it b/c there's been no other way for them. Even hockey in Europe is broadcast without commercial interrupions. Oh well

Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 PM

They show all NFL games in Europe in 30 minutes. In that 30 minute timeframe, they show every play including highlights for the big plays without commercial interruption. That is the only way they could get people to watch the games over there.

The fact that they are able to show every game including highlights in 30 minutes goes to show how much time is wasted in football.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:50 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
Quote:

Yeah that really annoys me with all the ads, sometimes its alright if I need to refill on food or goto the bathroom, what makes it worse is that on ESPN overhere they always play the same ads.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:

That is one of the things that I don't like about football.... but I'd still take that over a full game turning into a 1-1 tie, going into overtime and then deciding the game into a shootout.

Alot of Americans just don't get soccer, because they WONT get soccer. They refuse to watch. And I know alot of hardcore soccer fans would gang up on me for saying this, but don't think soccer will just easily become America's #1 sport. Not even in 50 years.

Remember, the NFL has been around since 1920. Major Leauge Soccer has only been around since '96, and not only that, but soccer in general is still playing catchup to the other three American sports (4 if you include NASCAR.... and wheather you like it or not, NASCAR racing is still more popular in the media than soccer).

Old 05-26-2008, 05:26 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That is one of the things that I don't like about football.... but I'd still take that over a full game turning into a 1-1 tie, going into overtime and then deciding the game into a shootout.
I've heard the argument that the NFL is more exciting because more points are scored. That makes no sense...lots of NFL games end 14-7 or 10-3. A 14-7 score in the NFL is the exact same as 2-1 in soccer. Let's just make soccer goals worth 7 points and the weakness of that argument will be exposed.

As for the shootout, its much better than flipping a coin...and whoever wins the flip runs a couple of plays and sets up for a field goal. That sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer