Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,425,935 times

Advertisements

Who said football wasnt popular in the United States? The Sounders are averaging about 30,000 fans per game! Thats more than the Mariners and comparable to EPL clubs. Thoughts.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 06:35 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,436,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Who said football wasnt popular in the United States? The Sounders are averaging about 30,000 fans per game! Thats more than the Mariners and comparable to EPL clubs. Thoughts.....
Many questions surrounding this

Is it the first year hype? will it continue when the club has a down year?

The unoffical average attendance for the whole MLS is only 15,325 , after the Sounders the average attendance drops somewhat (according to this source)

USA Major League Soccer - Attendance - 2009 - ESPN Soccernet

I'm mean look at Dallas, that average attendance of 8,000 is pathetic for a place the population of theirs.

It still has a long way togo in my eyes but is slowly picking up the pace.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,366,453 times
8 thousand is horrible. Maybe the game is not marketed right there ? Do they have promotions similar to the Rapids ? I would still like to see the USL and MLS merged and have promotion and relegation and have MLS as the top tier. THey also need to get rid of the conference set up and have the team that finished top, win. I know some people will not be happy with this but I find the lack of uncertainties quite boring in MLS. I know Colorado Rapids will not win so I have no interest in seeing the league table. I just look forward to games. If there was relegation and whatnot it would generate allot more interest and excitement on my end.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
8 thousand is horrible. Maybe the game is not marketed right there ? Do they have promotions similar to the Rapids ? I would still like to see the USL and MLS merged and have promotion and relegation and have MLS as the top tier. THey also need to get rid of the conference set up and have the team that finished top, win. I know some people will not be happy with this but I find the lack of uncertainties quite boring in MLS. I know Colorado Rapids will not win so I have no interest in seeing the league table. I just look forward to games. If there was relegation and whatnot it would generate allot more interest and excitement on my end.
I think that they need to bring something like that in, some people say that there may not be the depth in US soccer to do this but come on, its the US we're talking about, there is always talent everywhere nearly no matter what, would they have to bring in a whole new tier below the MLS to do this, I don't know.

But it would send the signs to the teams fanbase that it is almost like a use it or lose it type scenario.

As with getting rid of the conference set up, I'm kind of for that, it works well in the EPL and think it could work great in the MLS, but then again conference set ups is what makes the MLS more 'American'.

I'm not too sure how the game is marketed in Dallas but you'd have to think the marketing is not right.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,366,453 times
Yeh it cant be right. I have no idea where the stadium is in relation to Dallas to comment if the distance is "too far to travel" for most people or not. I wouldn't think so though since most people I know here Stateside think a 4hr drive is a short trip hehe

Old 07-02-2009, 12:51 AM

146 posts, read 386,932 times
sad, cuz dallas hosts one of the biggest youth tournaments in america. also, didn't kyle rote play down there years ago?

sounders??? phenomenon is the sounders have a rich history in pro soccer in america. the sounders mgmt knows how to use it. what a great rivalry seattle and portland had back in the day. and next year, we'll have that again. god i miss the nasl days. remember the tampa rowdies uniforms? classic!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:22 AM

I beleive the Sounders play Chelsea, should be an amazing atmosphere there.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:59 PM

325 posts, read 786,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Is it the first year hype? will it continue when the club has a down year?
Valid question. To answer ... the Sounders have sold out every game (in terms of the seats they allow to open up, currently at about 33,000) and only have scattered tickets left for the final seven homes games of the season. They also have 10,000 people already signed up on the season-ticket waiting list for 2010.

Also, Toronto FC has I believe sold out every game ever played in their 20,000-seat stadium and has 15-20,000 on its season-ticket waiting list. And they have not once made the playoffs and this is in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs. I'm not expecting Seattle to be any different if the team starts having down years.

Living in the Northwest, I can say it is really big in this portion of the country, especially the Portland-to-Vancouver BC corridor. Like so popular that it blows away the rest of the country in soccer interest. Hopefully this will have a trickle-down effect on the rest of the country, but am not sure if this will happen.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
Valid question. To answer ... the Sounders have sold out every game (in terms of the seats they allow to open up, currently at about 33,000) and only have scattered tickets left for the final seven homes games of the season. They also have 10,000 people already signed up on the season-ticket waiting list for 2010.

Also, Toronto FC has I believe sold out every game ever played in their 20,000-seat stadium and has 15-20,000 on its season-ticket waiting list. And they have not once made the playoffs and this is in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs. I'm not expecting Seattle to be any different if the team starts having down years.

Living in the Northwest, I can say it is really big in this portion of the country, especially the Portland-to-Vancouver BC corridor. Like so popular that it blows away the rest of the country in soccer interest. Hopefully this will have a trickle-down effect on the rest of the country, but am not sure if this will happen.
Didn't know that they only opened up that many seats for Sounders games, that makes their average attendance figure look even more impressive now. Good to see that they've already got that many season ticket holders signed up already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer