U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2016, 02:18 PM

1,532 posts, read 667,454 times

Advertisements

Iceland has come to the end of the road. Congratulation to this tiny country and it's tireless band of players to have come this far. Now it is time to look forward for France to play the world champions Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 03:16 PM

4,850 posts, read 6,369,384 times
The loss does not taint the magical campaign Iceland put together. A tiny island nation with a population smaller, I think, than the capital city of every nation they faced, helped make a memorable summer of football. I hope Iceland continues to build upon this success and would love to see them in Russia (they nearly qualified for Brazil).

I selected Iceland as my Euro team since the Netherlands failed to qualify. I've no horse left in the race aside from respect for Germany. I'd like to see Wales v Germany as the final but think it will be Portugal v France.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:44 PM

1,532 posts, read 667,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The loss does not taint the magical campaign Iceland put together. A tiny island nation with a population smaller, I think, than the capital city of every nation they faced, helped make a memorable summer of football. I hope Iceland continues to build upon this success and would love to see them in Russia (they nearly qualified for Brazil).

I selected Iceland as my Euro team since the Netherlands failed to qualify. I've no horse left in the race aside from respect for Germany. I'd like to see Wales v Germany as the final but think it will be Portugal v France.
I am very biased and consequently my choice is Wales v Germany. Portugal did not deserve to make it to the semis, France maybe but we shall see. Germany will be the champion by a score of 3-1.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:21 AM

5,886 posts, read 4,192,336 times
Hats off to Iceland, what a magical run they had. Germany is well positioned to complete a rare WC-Euro back to back run. Germany will be a bit depleted going against France but I still think Germany will be too strong for them. The German TEAM and system is stronger than the French. Besides since May of 1940 Germany has owned France.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:03 PM

749 posts, read 597,998 times
I am having some doubts about Germany beating france, and god knows I don't like that country a bit. Germany has a great team but has shown some defensive weaknesses, most exposed against Ukraine. A solid but talent-less Italy managed to cancel them and take the game where it wanted to, taking the decision the penalties where they were lucky to be less disastrous than Italy. With France playing at home, and Germany missing 2 key players I can see this one to be a very tactical with the home side narrowly having the upper hand. I wouldn't be surprised to see it to go extra-time and maybe pk again, that is if Manuel Neuer doesn't make a booboo right after making an incredible save. I hope I'm wrong though.

Last edited by seixal; 07-04-2016 at 12:12 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 02:44 PM

4,850 posts, read 6,369,384 times
Italy is far from "talent-less".

Old 07-04-2016, 03:19 PM

I'm saying they are not good players, they are tactically very good. However they don't exactly have the skill and creativity Pirlo, Balotelli, Totti, Cannavaro,Cassano or Inzaghi once were able to bring to the team on top of the collective defensive excellence. The Serie A decline can be seen as cause for this.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:10 PM

685 posts, read 444,698 times
I'm really hoping for a France versus Wales final. A Germany versus Portugal final doesn't really sound appealing in any manner. Both of those teams have been quite boring to watch through most of the tournament and I've found myself liking both France and Wales the more I watch of both teams. I really like Antoine Griezmann, Oliver Giroud, Gareth Bale, and most of the players on both teams. Where as I can't really find a player I like on Germany and Portugal other than Podolski and Schweinsteiger.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:51 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
Wales cam beat Portugal, theyre playing as a unit and Portugal are relying on Ronaldo do pull it out. He spends most his time whining and not being a good capain.

I think Germany will be France. France's defensive frailties were exposed by Iceland several times and if Iceland had a better defence they could have taken France. Germany will look to capitalise on that for sure.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Wales cam beat Portugal, theyre playing as a unit and Portugal are relying on Ronaldo do pull it out. He spends most his time whining and not being a good capain.

I think Germany will be France. France's defensive frailties were exposed by Iceland several times and if Iceland had a better defence they could have taken France. Germany will look to capitalise on that for sure.
Many people who don't know the team have been saying Wales is Bale and 10 more, but that's true, no team relies on just one player. I think Portugal relies on Renato Sanches much more to pull the team forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer