U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the football Olympic tournament should be kept ?
Yes 12 70.59%
No 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 04:32 PM

4,380 posts, read 2,530,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It simply has no prestige, a bit like the world club thingy, of course this might be because me and Chris Coleman are British and because we don't have a British Olympic football team it simply doesn't appear on the Olympic radar (a bit like basketball for example). I remember when Chelsea were in the world club thingy and I simply didn't even want them to take part, I didn't watch, didn't care about results, just wanted them home with no injuries whereas after the final the south American supporters of the club that won it (sorry can't remember who) went crazy like they had won the Champions League or something! Horses for courses I guess.
But it seems ridiculous to me, why we shouldn't have a GB Football team taking part in the Olympics. Didn't we have one for the London Olympics, or am I just imagining it?!!

Let's be honest - it would basically be the England team, with a few cherry-picked players from Wales (anyone from Scotland or Northern Ireland? Lol!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 05:08 AM

7,852 posts, read 6,672,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
But it seems ridiculous to me, why we shouldn't have a GB Football team taking part in the Olympics. Didn't we have one for the London Olympics, or am I just imagining it?!!

Let's be honest - it would basically be the England team, with a few cherry-picked players from Wales (anyone from Scotland or Northern Ireland? Lol!).
We did, but that was a one off and only because they were 'home' games, even then I believe it caused a lot of problems between the various FA's

Old 09-02-2016, 06:55 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,411,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
I fully agree, though I have no idea what made you think I'm butt hurt. Was it the word 'bunker'? Stop being a drama queen.
I am not the one still crying about it, ma'am.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:19 AM

167 posts, read 76,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I am not the one still crying about it, ma'am.
You are the only one crying in this thread. Now wipe your eyes and go clean your room, babe.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
We did, but that was a one off and only because they were 'home' games, even then I believe it caused a lot of problems between the various FA's
That's a shame. Will we ever get a GB team everyone can agree on, I wonder?

PS/ England were very lucky this afternoon - scoring in the final few minutes. Talk about cutting it fine!

Old 09-05-2016, 01:37 AM

7,852 posts, read 6,672,738 times
Quote:
That's a shame. Will we ever get a GB team everyone can agree on, I wonder?

PS/ England were very lucky this afternoon - scoring in the final few minutes. Talk about cutting it fine!
Nevertheless they had 20+ shots on goal! If anything I would suggest that Slovakia were lucky that they did not lose by more than 1 goal.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:03 PM

304 posts, read 151,538 times
There is a reason there are no GB football teams in the Olympics,apart from London 2012,and thats because the four associations,England,Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland are worried FIFA would force them to all compete as GB in the World Cup

Old 09-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Nevertheless they had 20+ shots on goal! If anything I would suggest that Slovakia were lucky that they did not lose by more than 1 goal.
True! I'm just waiting for the Wales v Moldova game, hoping that Wales can recreate the same performance as they had in the Euro's!

Old 09-05-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
There is a reason there are no GB football teams in the Olympics,apart from London 2012,and thats because the four associations,England,Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland are worried FIFA would force them to all compete as GB in the World Cup
Am I right in thinking that England would be ok about a GB team? It's just the other home nations are against it?

Old 09-05-2016, 12:16 PM

304 posts, read 151,538 times
Quote:
Am I right in thinking that England would be ok about a GB team? It's just the other home nations are against it?

Not at all if it meant any other competition would only be GB teams.There is a lot of rivalry,mostly good natured between the different countries of the UK,particularly England and Scotland.The Scots always raise their game against England if its football or tiddlywinks.So too do the other UK nations.

The English are just as much against it as the others,though if there was a guarantee that we could keep the 4 nations for other tournaments i dont think there would be major problems

EDIT:sorry ive probably explained things in very simple terms,i have now looked and see you are in Wales,where i had answered as if you werent from over here.Please accept my apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or