U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2017, 04:56 PM
 
105 posts, read 102,052 times
Reputation: 79

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
A soccer-specific stadium might be important for players on the pitch and for assistance comfort both on site on through TV. Also it helps the sport and clubs consolidate their identity in America, which has been a semi-success so far. Watching a soccer game played in a base-ball or American football stadium feels weird to the unused eye, just like it would look foreign to watch an American sport game played on a football-specific field

If that is the case, then why are some soccer stadiums around the world. Have more seats then a football stadium? The Seattle sounders play at centurylink field.

But the MLS is a horrible league. They want to have European sounding names to their team. Yet there is no promotion/relegation. Since the mls is run like every other American sports league. Also the play of the mls is horrible. There is no skills to the game. It's nothing more then the American fascination with high scores.

So they march down the field as quickly as they can to attempt a shot. Yes I am an American and I refuse to watch the mls. Plus what is with the ridiculousness of not teaching kids. How to properly head a soccer ball? Because Americans are afraid of concussions. Yet how come no one mentions concussions in kids American football games. They never talk about the problem of concussions. When they continually hiit each other on both sides of the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2017, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,278,422 times
Reputation: 37474
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don't understand why the MLS is so adamant that its franchises have Soccer specific Stadiums.
The NBA is the 4th most profitable sports league in the world and other than Brooklyn and Oakland, their stadiums are designed for Hockey.
Even in the New Boston Garden the last Section and 1/2 on each side point straight at the loge seating, that would be the attacking zone at a hockey game.
The fact that 28 of their stadiums have 6 sections that have bad sightlines, they thrive.
But why does the MLS need SSS, if Football Stadiums would do.
I understand that they don't want to play in NFL Stadiums because they can't draw 65k+ per game, however in most places there are plenty of 30K-45k stadiums. For example the Revolution could easily play in Alumni (BC) Stadium or Harvard Stadium, be close to Boston and have a reasonable stadium size.
You're very confused if you think Target Center in Minneapolis was 'designed for hockey'. It wasn't. It was built specifically for the Timberwolves, while the local hockey team play at another venue. That team moved relocated to Dallas when Target Center was less than three years old, so the idea that it was 'built for hockey' yet never hosted a hockey team and had one team in desperate need of a stadium spurn it is pretty amusing.

American Airlines Arena in Miami was not built for hockey.
Amway Center in Orlando was not built for hockey.
AT&T Center in San Antonio was not built for hockey.
Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis was not built for hockey (some hockey games have been played there, but it is a poor venue for the sport... because it obviously was not built for it).
Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City was not built for hockey.
FedExForum was not built for hockey (though it has hosted a few hockey games over the years).
Golden 1 Center in Sacramento was hot built for hockey.

And there are others, but I'll stop here. You should launch your argument with such inaccurate information.

Even then, it's an irrelevant analogy for reasons others have stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
6,416 posts, read 4,834,617 times
Reputation: 2635
The stadium we have here in Atlanta is both football and soccer. The stands can move around to set up a perfect field for soccer and football. At 1.5 billion dollars im surprised our new stadium cant fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2017, 09:05 AM
 
9,382 posts, read 9,543,826 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You're very confused if you think Target Center in Minneapolis was 'designed for hockey'. It wasn't. It was built specifically for the Timberwolves, while the local hockey team play at another venue. That team moved relocated to Dallas when Target Center was less than three years old, so the idea that it was 'built for hockey' yet never hosted a hockey team and had one team in desperate need of a stadium spurn it is pretty amusing.

American Airlines Arena in Miami was not built for hockey.
Amway Center in Orlando was not built for hockey.
AT&T Center in San Antonio was not built for hockey.
Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis was not built for hockey (some hockey games have been played there, but it is a poor venue for the sport... because it obviously was not built for it).
Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City was not built for hockey.
FedExForum was not built for hockey (though it has hosted a few hockey games over the years).
Golden 1 Center in Sacramento was hot built for hockey.

And there are others, but I'll stop here. You should launch your argument with such inaccurate information.

Even then, it's an irrelevant analogy for reasons others have stated.
Every single on of those have a rink built in that they lay a floor over, they may not have NHL teams, but they are not Basketball specific, you need to look at College Arenas (see Assembly Hall, IU) to see buildings designed for Basketball and have no capacity to host any other sport (other than like Volleyball which can fit on a Bball court)
Also speaking of College, Syracuse Basketball plays in a Football Stadium and its hailed as one of the best places in America to watch a Basketball game.
If you have ever been to say a Celtics game, it is quite clear that the house belongs to the Bruins so the idea that it stifles the identity of a team would apply to the Celtics if the whole sharing a stadium was an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 11:03 AM
 
828 posts, read 1,207,917 times
Reputation: 814
To me soccer is like baseball, they need their own stadiums because the stadium is part of the atmosphere. I remember watching the Florida Marlins played at the Miami Dolphins stadium and it was the most dreadful experience I ever encountered.

Basketball and Hockey to me are different because they are played in in a court and ice rink respectively. So to me the "where it is played" factor is not as impactful as soccer (and baseball for that matter).

Have you seen the NY City team playing at the Yankees stadium? It is unwatchable, I totally hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
6,416 posts, read 4,834,617 times
Reputation: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
To me soccer is like baseball, they need their own stadiums because the stadium is part of the atmosphere. I remember watching the Florida Marlins played at the Miami Dolphins stadium and it was the most dreadful experience I ever encountered.

Basketball and Hockey to me are different because they are played in in a court and ice rink respectively. So to me the "where it is played" factor is not as impactful as soccer (and baseball for that matter).

Have you seen the NY City team playing at the Yankees stadium? It is unwatchable, I totally hate it.
Is New York going to get their own SSS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,644 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Reputation: 12103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
If that is the case, then why are some soccer stadiums around the world. Have more seats then a football stadium? The Seattle sounders play at centurylink field.

But the MLS is a horrible league. They want to have European sounding names to their team. Yet there is no promotion/relegation. Since the mls is run like every other American sports league. Also the play of the mls is horrible. There is no skills to the game. It's nothing more then the American fascination with high scores.

So they march down the field as quickly as they can to attempt a shot. Yes I am an American and I refuse to watch the mls. Plus what is with the ridiculousness of not teaching kids. How to properly head a soccer ball? Because Americans are afraid of concussions. Yet how come no one mentions concussions in kids American football games. They never talk about the problem of concussions. When they continually hiit each other on both sides of the line.
Where to start....

Okay, what is a "European sounding name?" Do you mean things like "SC" and "United?" Well, considering the league is heavily influenced by the British leagues, I don't see why this would be surprising. Lots of the coaches are British, lots of players, referees, team owners, management... How is this an issue?

As for the style of play, it's the same as anywhere else. Pass the ball up and create plays to create opportunities to score. These players train and play youth the same way as players in other leagues. MLS isn't telling them how to play. The LEVEL of play is lower than several leagues abroad, agreed, but the style of play isn't much different. And the reason for the lower level of play is largely due to the idiotic salary caps, and then having way too many teams with too few actual good players per team as a result. The salary cap is an American thing, and that I do wish it would go away.

Also, you do realize that many Americans don't watch MLS because it DOESN'T have high scores, right? 0-0, 1-0, 2-1 games are extremely common.

They can start heading at 10.

Don't like MLS? Okay, that's fine, but to say it's horrible is ridiculous. It's the highest level of play in NA, where ~400,000,000 people live. It's also a very young league, and has been constantly improving and moving up in the ranks. I don't think it will be too long before it becomes a top 5 league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,644 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Reputation: 12103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
If that is the case, then why are some soccer stadiums around the world. Have more seats then a football stadium? The Seattle sounders play at centurylink field.

But the MLS is a horrible league. They want to have European sounding names to their team. Yet there is no promotion/relegation. Since the mls is run like every other American sports league. Also the play of the mls is horrible. There is no skills to the game. It's nothing more then the American fascination with high scores.

So they march down the field as quickly as they can to attempt a shot. Yes I am an American and I refuse to watch the mls. Plus what is with the ridiculousness of not teaching kids. How to properly head a soccer ball? Because Americans are afraid of concussions. Yet how come no one mentions concussions in kids American football games. They never talk about the problem of concussions. When they continually hiit each other on both sides of the line.
By the way, just in: Bayern 10, Arsenal 2.
Champion's League.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
6,416 posts, read 4,834,617 times
Reputation: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Where to start....

Okay, what is a "European sounding name?" Do you mean things like "SC" and "United?" Well, considering the league is heavily influenced by the British leagues, I don't see why this would be surprising. Lots of the coaches are British, lots of players, referees, team owners, management... How is this an issue?

As for the style of play, it's the same as anywhere else. Pass the ball up and create plays to create opportunities to score. These players train and play youth the same way as players in other leagues. MLS isn't telling them how to play. The LEVEL of play is lower than several leagues abroad, agreed, but the style of play isn't much different. And the reason for the lower level of play is largely due to the idiotic salary caps, and then having way too many teams with too few actual good players per team as a result. The salary cap is an American thing, and that I do wish it would go away.

Also, you do realize that many Americans don't watch MLS because it DOESN'T have high scores, right? 0-0, 1-0, 2-1 games are extremely common.

They can start heading at 10.

Don't like MLS? Okay, that's fine, but to say it's horrible is ridiculous. It's the highest level of play in NA, where ~400,000,000 people live. It's also a very young league, and has been constantly improving and moving up in the ranks. I don't think it will be too long before it becomes a top 5 league.
Honestly I am new to it all. I never watched soccer because my city never had a big league team and a big league just came in 1996 and I still dont know if it was MLS big league back then. Now that my city Atlanta has a team I have an interest now. It seem the leagues popularity is growing. I dont think everyone deserves a team though. Some of these cities that have teams are not filling their SSS and it looks bad on TV. If one is going to watch 0-0 game I at least want to see the fan rage, TIFO, smoke bombs, etc. That seems to be a part of the game the soccer energy does not exist at all MLS SSS. As of now there are 22 teams, but not all teams have a passionate fan base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,644 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Reputation: 12103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Honestly I am new to it all. I never watched soccer because my city never had a big league team and a big league just came in 1996 and I still dont know if it was MLS big league back then. Now that my city Atlanta has a team I have an interest now. It seem the leagues popularity is growing. I dont think everyone deserves a team though. Some of these cities that have teams are not filling their SSS and it looks bad on TV. If one is going to watch 0-0 game I at least want to see the fan rage, TIFO, smoke bombs, etc. That seems to be a part of the game the soccer energy does not exist at all MLS SSS. As of now there are 22 teams, but not all teams have a passionate fan base.
I agree. There are too many teams, and MLS is trying to expand too fast. They need to give it time to grow in popularity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top