U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 AM

167 posts, read 75,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
28 is ideal. 32 is possible... but I doubt they'll go past that until the other "big boy leagues" go past that.
I think those other leagues have more reasons to stall - MLB needs big cities because they have a lot of games and big stadiums, and there aren't many decent options for them to expand. Mexico city maybe? But those tickets would have to be cheap.

NFL and NBA are all about TV money. If you expand, that means you got more mouths to feed. You get an expansion fee, but that will be gone quickly because those new teams will take a piece of TV cash. NFL gets like 4.5 bil a year from TV, NBA 2.6 bil. MLS i think is at 120 mil, so their expansion fee has become higher than annual TV revenue. People are lining up to pay 150 mil for an MLS club, while nobody would pay lets say 6 bil or even 4.5 bil for an NFL expansion club in San Antonio or Salt Lake City.

NHL is the most similar to MLS in that they don't have a big national TV deal (but some teams have nice local cable deals), and they work fine in smaller cities. NHL and MLS are both built around local ticket and sponsorship income. But hockey is a more regional sport than soccer, they struggle in many areas.

I think the main motive to stop at 32 would be to look like other big leagues, kind of a prestige thing. If they expand lets say to 36 or 40, maybe it would hurt perception, i don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:17 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,518,281 times
Soccer Business runs that way. The MLS Franchise is creating assets by having their own stadiums. They will earn money by leasing them out for Concerts, naming rights, revenue from Corporate boxes and take more debt by showing assets like their ownership of stadiums. It also helps them to have smaller sized Soccer stadium which look full instead of half full American Football stadium.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:51 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,370,412 times
These MLS teams can have all the soccer specific stadia they want.....as long as they pay for,it themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer