U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 03:04 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,145,318 times

Advertisements

After the loss to Mexico I had a hunch that his days were counted. The team needed a shake-up. IMO he was in there a bit too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 03:18 PM

371 posts, read 3,395,865 times
Somewhere Donovan is laughing...

Old 11-21-2016, 04:31 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,299,327 times
The core is a bit older than when he took over. That said we did not have a horrid team a few years back just not among the best in the World. He was a great player no doubt but some of the moves he made had me shaking my head. The next coach has a ton of time to get his own roster together before the next WC qualifier.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:30 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,975,374 times
First soccer thread in this forum for over a month... it had gone dead.

Anyway, I can't imagine anyone being upset over Klinsmann's firing after 5 years and same-old/same-old results (at best).

Clearly Klinsmann had lost the locker room and was no longer "liked" by the players. They played nervous and took a big step backward as a possession team. Selections were not based on merit and he made many quotes that were insulting to certain players.

He also seemed to take too much meaning after a few friendly wins (like Germany and Netherlands). Jurgen, they are friendlies, practice games man. I'd rather have you get the team ready to play in Costa Rica or Honduras when it counts.

I think he's been fired at the right time, we gave him every chance to succeed but drop him now so we can still make Russia. Bruce Arena is rumored in, he'll be a big improvement. He's a players coach and has a much better perspective of the talent at hand.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:32 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
I said from day 1 he wasnt the right man. I think Arena is good to get through 2018. I think Pareja would be a good long term option for the US though.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:58 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,188,367 times
Klingmann was arrogant and a jerk from day one. Fine, but you better improve the team after that and he did not. It's basically in the same place. It was time for him to go.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:10 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,657,942 times
Looking like he will be replaced by Bruce Arena. Good job finding some fresh blood for the team LOL!!

Old 12-12-2016, 08:14 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,641,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Klingmann was arrogant and a jerk from day one. Fine, but you better improve the team after that and he did not. It's basically in the same place. It was time for him to go.
lol he was not arrogant. He knows exactly what it takes to build or rather establish a sustainable football culture in the states. Germany churns world beaters on a daily basis and he's a product of that environment...what he didn't anticipate is the instant gratification attitude of the American fans. We want results right away and he needed more time to build his crop of players and style.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:25 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,975,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
lol he was not arrogant. He knows exactly what it takes to build or rather establish a sustainable football culture in the states. Germany churns world beaters on a daily basis and he's a product of that environment...what he didn't anticipate is the instant gratification attitude of the American fans. We want results right away and he needed more time to build his crop of players and style.
BS, 5 years is a long time in football anywhere. Football culture in the US is growing fast and has much more to do with MLS (and even Premier League and others) than it does the US National Team.

If Germany failed to qualify for a Euro or World Cup, that manager would be fired fast.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:32 PM

1,532 posts, read 667,671 times
For the immediate future Bruce Arena will be a satisfactory solution, however going forward the National team needs a new coach. Preferably younger, modern, energetic and most likely more expensive than the US can afford. There are no world class coaches in the US. They will have to look to Europe to find the right man for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or