U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the Russia World Cup 2018?
Germany 24 23.08%
Brazil 14 13.46%
Argentina 9 8.65%
France 17 16.35%
Spain 6 5.77%
Italy 2 1.92%
Portugal 7 6.73%
Chile 0 0%
Other 25 24.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 12:27 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,410,179 times

Advertisements

Really stinks for Senegal, I liked the way they played. But I'm glad to see Japan get through.

Interestingly enough, Poland as the highest rated team in that group and they played very poorly overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 02:52 PM

2,408 posts, read 1,606,094 times
OK, again: this is a remarkably dumb WC tbh:

My country doesn't partake...
The team I support other than my country doesn't partake for the 1st time in decades (Italy);
The 2nd team I'd support given a miracle (Holland) also hasn't qualified;
England looks strong enough to be champion;
WTH Belgium?;
Israel didn't qualify either, SK goes home and Japan will face Belgium where they'll loose.

The only reason I'll ever watch this is just to see Spain winning over Russia .

I am happy bookies and Russia are loosing money with the lack of Italy, Germany, US, Holland. Such a bizarre tournament deserves it.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:45 PM

2,544 posts, read 6,248,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Me and my family hate korea team last night, they do not give space for german team to win even though the quality of play german far superior from korea
pity the as good as german team had to go home early
FTW are you talking about ????? You like role play ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
When is the last time a team advanced over another due to fair play points? Japan is moving to the round of 16 over Senegal due to fair play points - Japan received 4 yellow cards in the group stage while Senegal received 6.

Japan and Senegal were both level on points, level on goal difference, they tied their head-to-head game and also had scored the same number of goals.
It was unfair to Senegal, I know rules are rules, but after watching how Japan played when down 1-0, that did not seem fair either.... Poland should have tried to score another one
I think we need more juice to the fair play rule, like also add up the # of shots taken at the goal along with yellow/red cards etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
OK, again: this is a remarkably dumb WC tbh:

My country doesn't partake...
The team I support other than my country doesn't partake for the 1st time in decades (Italy);
The 2nd team I'd support given a miracle (Holland) also hasn't qualified;
England looks strong enough to be champion;
WTH Belgium?;
Israel didn't qualify either, SK goes home and Japan will face Belgium where they'll loose.

The only reason I'll ever watch this is just to see Spain winning over Russia .

I am happy bookies and Russia are loosing money with the lack of Italy, Germany, US, Holland. Such a bizarre tournament deserves it.
LOL... best world cup ever !! I love the final group matches and what if scenarios !!
Watch out, Brazil is going out next !!

Old 06-29-2018, 03:47 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,517,237 times
Spain is lucky (VAR) to progress in knock-out Round. Morocco, Iran, Nigeria, Senegal were plain unlucky not to go thru.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:29 AM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
When is the last time a team advanced over another due to fair play points? Japan is moving to the round of 16 over Senegal due to fair play points - Japan received 4 yellow cards in the group stage while Senegal received 6.

Japan and Senegal were both level on points, level on goal difference, they tied their head-to-head game and also had scored the same number of goals.

This is the first time ever this has happened since the fair play points tiebreaker was just added for this World Cup. Sure, it sucks for Senegal, but as I told people yesterday "we're much more likely to remember what Senegal did at this World Cup by being the first team eliminated by this fair play points tiebreaker than if they had advanced and lost in the knockout round." If you aren't going to win the whole thing, which Senegal wasn't going to win, you may as well have a place in history.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:03 PM

298 posts, read 188,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Me and my family hate korea team last night, they do not give space for german team to win even though the quality of play german far superior from korea
pity the as good as german team had to go home early
yeah, the koreans should have given the opposing team more space so they could score at will. is that how they play soccer in china? maybe that’s why they’ve only been in one world cup.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:55 PM

1,956 posts, read 2,630,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Country called 'Other' will win.

Sweden, Mexico, Belgium, Croatia.... they look like they are playing with a purpose and have potent attacks.
If they can manage their yellow/red cards properly, they have a great chance over the traditional favorites who are very weak this tournament. This might look like a ridiculous post very soon.... but I like the unpredictability.
Kinda of my thoughts too!

Old 07-01-2018, 10:45 AM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,492,065 times
YEP!

They just beat Spain.....a much better team

Old 07-01-2018, 11:22 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
YEP!

They just beat Spain.....a much better team
Incredibly, (FIFA Ranking) #70 Russia takes down #10 Spain after PKs, and moves into the Quarterfinals!

Russia goalie has TWO saves for a 4-3 win after TWO 15 minute extra times!

Wow...

Old 07-01-2018, 12:05 PM

639 posts, read 292,197 times
Embarrassing that we were defeated by such a terrible team like Russia, I would expect to lose against Brazil or France. Spain, disappointing again. I guess those russians won't last longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer