U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the Russia World Cup 2018?
Germany 24 23.08%
Brazil 14 13.46%
Argentina 9 8.65%
France 17 16.35%
Spain 6 5.77%
Italy 2 1.92%
Portugal 7 6.73%
Chile 0 0%
Other 25 24.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 09:00 PM

4,101 posts, read 7,809,540 times

Advertisements

The Japanese players looked like midgets next those towering Belgium players. I think size matters here. There is no way people with short legs can outrun people with long legs. Anyway, after the first two goals, Japan just lost it. They came in as an underdog and sadly accepted that and gave it all up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 04:23 AM

3,669 posts, read 3,531,707 times
Japan parked their Bus in their last Group league match against Poland. Okay but then the real need to do that was in last 20 minutes against Belgium. There was no need for them to move forward again and again. their substitutions also didnt inspire Defense. Fresh legs and height of Chadli, Fellaini stiffed Japan.

They should have learnt from Russia how they defended for their lives 1-1 score.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:49 AM
BMI

7,266 posts, read 4,529,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
As far as excitement, Belgium/Japan was hands down the best match of the tourney so far.
Yes, that last minute goal by Belgium was amazing!

Old 07-03-2018, 11:14 AM

6,626 posts, read 4,130,852 times
This is a serious question. I have a group of friends who are far more into the World Cup than I am. Group includes a couple of Americans, an Australian, and a couple of Brits. All of them are insistent that Russia is somehow cheating, that there is no way they have made it this far on their own merits.

Are they completely crazy or is this even a remote possibility? I'm personally glad to see some underdogs still in the race, and I consider that the home team always has an advantage, but I have no idea if it's even possible to cheat at this level.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:48 AM

729 posts, read 384,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is a serious question. I have a group of friends who are far more into the World Cup than I am. Group includes a couple of Americans, an Australian, and a couple of Brits. All of them are insistent that Russia is somehow cheating, that there is no way they have made it this far on their own merits.

Are they completely crazy or is this even a remote possibility? I'm personally glad to see some underdogs still in the race, and I consider that the home team always has an advantage, but I have no idea if it's even possible to cheat at this level.
Russia just had ''much luck'' in this world cup man! They are not really that bad, they have a Brazilian in their team who is helping a lot.
The only great team they faced was Uruguay and they lost 3 – 0 ! I think Russia can goes ever longer, is not impossible they win against Croacia… playing at home they are favorites, and is not impossible Russia win against Colombia or England if they are smart as they were against Spain, so Russia would be in the final !!

May be it was not really luck may be FIFA arranged it to them go far in this world cup because their side is pretty weak if we pay attention… In the other side all the really big dogs and favorites we already knew that will kill each other before the final (Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Uruguay, France, Belgium).
In France’s world cup many people said that FIFA arranged for France only faces Brazil in the final what really happened. Probably the same was arranged for Russia.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:54 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,138,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

It seems to have become a fad to always blame Russians for everything which happens on earth. For example, whenever the Russians do something good which advances their team's hopes, corruption is blamed on Putin or politics or FIFA or the refs, etc.

It's basically all in fun (?) -- at least in these early stages!

Old 07-03-2018, 05:09 PM

2,373 posts, read 3,063,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Brazil just beat Mexico 2 – 0
Mexico is improving a lot their football, very good team though disloyal, if they were first in their group they would get longer in this world cup.

Mexico is not improving, same old result, many of their "golden generation's" last World Cup was this one, besides that, their best player Chucky Lozano is 22 and plays for PSV Eindhoven. That's not saying much.

Mexico was tied for oldest team avg. age with 29.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
It seems to have become a fad to always blame Russians for everything which happens on earth. For example, whenever the Russians do something good which advances their team's hopes, corruption is blamed on Putin or politics or FIFA or the refs, etc.

It's basically all in fun (?) -- at least in these early stages!
Fad? in what context? they have a long history of cheating going back decades, generations, you caught what they did at the Sochi Olympics right? the secret door for the urine samples?

I've more than once thought that they might be cheating with PED's, it's not like it's that far-fetched.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:12 PM

I thought England, despite the win, were really quite poor.

Colombia did nothing for the first 75 mins. , invited pressure, tried to counter, had hardly anyone forward.

England couldn't pass that well, no creativity from the midfield. No passing.

Having Kane come deeper because he can pass just tells that story. Sterling is not a natural striker or finisher of the ball. Lot's of wasted chances from Lingard as well.

Colombia were missing their Talisman in James.

Sweden might prove quite an opponent.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:24 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,138,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Fad? in what context? they have a long history of cheating going back decades, generations, you caught what they did at the Sochi Olympics right? the secret door for the urine samples?

I've more than once thought that they might be cheating with PED's, it's not like it's that far-fetched.
"History" doesn't mean it's happening now -- in present day -- at the World Cup. These are teams playing against each other in full athletic form, skill and training. There are far too many checks and balances which guard against such corruption.

If you personally have something against the Russians or anyone else, then you must provide proof, not "history".

Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
"History" doesn't mean it's happening now -- in present day -- at the World Cup. These are teams playing against each other in full athletic form, skill and training. There are far too many checks and balances which guard against such corruption.

If you personally have something against the Russians or anyone else, then you must provide proof, not "history".
yeah, they had those same checks and balances in Sochi.

Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer