U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:48 AM

7,809 posts, read 6,627,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Keep your blinders on son, nothing to see here :/
I see you are struggling to find these English nationals that 'over hype' the team? Until you can find something 'unique' in the English I don't think I will believe this particular ole piece of stereotypical nonsense.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:43 AM

7,548 posts, read 16,381,882 times
Struggling for nothing here, you can be blind to it all you like. Doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Struggling for nothing here, you can be blind to it all you like. Doesn't affect me in the slightest.
I'm not 'blind' to anything, you can't see what isn't there! You reckon the English think they are 'superior' at football because we gave the game to the world? Prove it, show me somewhere (anywhere) where an Englishman has said this, you won't find it because it isn't 'there'. You will perhaps find that its something 'Johhny Foreigner' says ABOUT the English (because after all when it comes to football 'Johnny Foreigner' has a massive 'chip on his shoulder' when it comes to the English game (probably because of the popularity of the Premier League)). Nobody in England thinks that they are 'superior', nobody thinks the English national team is 'better' because its English, its just folly.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:36 PM

3,847 posts, read 3,966,962 times
Let me jump in here. If the English are arrogant about football, it is for the Premier League and their deep levels of professional or organized club leagues. Both truly are the best in the world.

But they are not arrogant or overconfident about the England National side. They are ruthlessly critical of the national team and put endless pressure on them. That's why England always play nervous, tight and usually not very well in big tournaments.

England side hyped? Nah, plenty of banter, plenty of opinions but usually very cynical. Many English soccer fans only grudgingly watch Euros and World Cups because they fear the worst. They are eager for August to hit so the EPL can start up again.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Let me jump in here. If the English are arrogant about football, it is for the Premier League and their deep levels of professional or organized club leagues. Both truly are the best in the world.

But they are not arrogant or overconfident about the England National side. They are ruthlessly critical of the national team and put endless pressure on them. That's why England always play nervous, tight and usually not very well in big tournaments.

England side hyped? Nah, plenty of banter, plenty of opinions but usually very cynical. Many English soccer fans only grudgingly watch Euros and World Cups because they fear the worst. They are eager for August to hit so the EPL can start up again.
Spot on! In fact most English football fans don't bother with internationals, its for several reasons, the main reason is the outrageous corruption that FIFA is, Qatar FFS, football is actually pretty vile, the malaise of the English team certainly doesn't help! 200 million pounds for transferring Neymar to Paris - it leaves many here feeling slightly nauseous. The Premier League IS the best national competition yes but actually there are some in England that are beginning to turn their backs on Arab and Russian silly money (and I say that as a Chelsea supporter too!), the Championship is becoming more popular here by the day. Personally I would LOVE it if the FA told FIFA to get stuffed it might just start something, my wishes for the season 1. Beat Spurs as often as possible and by as much as possible 2. Chelsea win the league & FA Cup double (don't care so much about Champions League) 3. Crawley Town get promotion (though they are far more likely to get relegated) and Maidstone Utd also get promoted. As for the national team I don't really care though in the long run it might be best if England don't qualify for Russia (though I think they will) because it will be a bloodbath. As for the pretty sickening Neymar saga, I don't care too much but I will say that at least the Spanish are getting a taste of their own medicine for a change.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:17 AM

11,584 posts, read 3,963,981 times
IMHO there is a lot to be positive about in the England squads including the emerging young players and indeed the womens team.

Under-20 World Cup: England beat Venezuela in final - BBC Sport

England Under-20s' World Cup win can boost English game, says Paul Simpson - Guardian

European Under-19 Championship: England beat Portugal in final - BBC Sport

England win European Under-17 Championship on penalties - BBC Sport

England fans keep the faith despite defeat for Lionesses in Euro 2017 - Guardian

England U21 2-2 Germany U21 (3-4 pens) - BBC Sport

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-04-2017 at 06:31 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 06:34 AM

Yes, its just a shame that FIFA are so bloody corrupt, there was a time when the country would stop to take interest in international football, can you remember the red noses and car flags BNW? If the national team played (even a qualifier, heck even a friendly) people would pack out the pubs, now (around here anyway) people hardly even notice when the national team plays let alone care. I fear that international football will go the way of cricket in this country, the Premier League is still a behemoth but recently I've noticed that a lot of people are beginning to lose the 'love' here as well.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:25 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Spot on! In fact most English football fans don't bother with internationals, its for several reasons, the main reason is the outrageous corruption that FIFA is, Qatar FFS, football is actually pretty vile, the malaise of the English team certainly doesn't help! 200 million pounds for transferring Neymar to Paris - it leaves many here feeling slightly nauseous. The Premier League IS the best national competition yes but actually there are some in England that are beginning to turn their backs on Arab and Russian silly money (and I say that as a Chelsea supporter too!), the Championship is becoming more popular here by the day. Personally I would LOVE it if the FA told FIFA to get stuffed it might just start something, my wishes for the season 1. Beat Spurs as often as possible and by as much as possible 2. Chelsea win the league & FA Cup double (don't care so much about Champions League) 3. Crawley Town get promotion (though they are far more likely to get relegated) and Maidstone Utd also get promoted. As for the national team I don't really care though in the long run it might be best if England don't qualify for Russia (though I think they will) because it will be a bloodbath. As for the pretty sickening Neymar saga, I don't care too much but I will say that at least the Spanish are getting a taste of their own medicine for a change.
Yeah Qatar??? Still hoping it doesn't happen. And there is something repetitive about international football, not to mention the Champion's League.

Alas we are at odds on London, I chose Spurs as my club years ago. I think they are big enough to play great football and get good talent but not so big as to be obscene like PSG, Bayern, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man City, Man Utd, and yes Chelsea. Living in the states I don't develop a hatred for Arsenal or Chelsea though. I do tend to respect Chelsea more than Arsenal. Chelsea always play with power and can beat you in different ways. Arsenal is a poor man's Barcelona, buzzing around playing little guy ball. They've been very soft since Patrick Viera left.

Back to England, I still wish them well and hope they do well in Russia. Dele Alli is England's most special player IMO, and plenty of others can be good enough for them to go deep. Would like to see them fit together like smaller nations (ex. Croatia, Uruguay, even Wales) who play with unity and pride. Too much mixing and too little identity over the last 10-15 years.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:50 AM

11,584 posts, read 3,963,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes, its just a shame that FIFA are so bloody corrupt, there was a time when the country would stop to take interest in international football, can you remember the red noses and car flags BNW? If the national team played (even a qualifier, heck even a friendly) people would pack out the pubs, now (around here anyway) people hardly even notice when the national team plays let alone care. I fear that international football will go the way of cricket in this country, the Premier League is still a behemoth but recently I've noticed that a lot of people are beginning to lose the 'love' here as well.
Sadly too much money, the latest PSG Neymar deal been a case in point, as well as too much well documented corruption.

I think the only Neymar the lower division clubs have in England, is ney mar money.

I remember the passion we used to have, however I have to say I have started to actually prefer watching the Under 21's, watchng the lower league divisions and annual FA Cup giant killing, even ended up cheering on Lincoln of all places.

I think Cricket has actually reinvented ityself with T20, the only trouble being that the T20 is now more popular than some aspects of the traditional game. It also should be noted that the Oval is being expanded to 40,000 as it is constantly sold out, whilst football clubs are also expanding their grounds and the facilities and grounds are now increasingly impressive.

How the Oval regained its shape: the famous cricket ground hosts its 100th Test

Even the women's game is taking off, and I think Sepp Blatter's departure has helped things, even though we are left with the legacy of Qatar.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:23 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,533,279 times
What would happen if England became good internationally and won the Euro Cup? Would that make the English watch their team with pride for the World Cup? How would England react if they actually won a World Cup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or