U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 02:32 PM

424 posts, read 212,746 times

Advertisements

An athlete can break bones and limp for the rest of their lives that's one thing...but if they have brain impacts that could leave them with mental disorders then I begin to question if the sport is worthy playing.

Dr. Omalu who identified the CTE in American football players has a warning for soccer- ban the heading of the ball (at least until 18). Omalu grew up as a world football(soccer) fan...

The question is if world football banned heading would it negatively impact your enjoyment of the sport?
I'm going to say no it wouldn't mine but it would be interesting to see what the thoughts are in Europe, Brazil, Mexico, etc. Afterall it's called FOOTball for a reason...

Link:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily...-lacrosse.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 AM

6,252 posts, read 6,388,098 times
They can make them wear safety helmets. They may even make the headers more powerful, and score more goals. Or they can make the ball lighter.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:55 AM

I think the safety helmets might work. Let me ask a question though: Are we to assume the brain is "safer" when being hit by a soccer ball with head gear on versus when a person is tackled like that in football where the hits are known to cause CTE to the brain (for some players if not all).

Old 09-25-2017, 10:07 AM

6,252 posts, read 6,388,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
I think the safety helmets might work. Let me ask a question though: Are we to assume the brain is "safer" when being hit by a soccer ball with head gear on versus when a person is tackled like that in football where the hits are known to cause CTE to the brain (for some players if not all).
During a tackle, the force is greater, because the oncoming weight is much more. A soccer ball is light compared to human body with pads, plus the ball itself is flexible. It is all air.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:10 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
Just teach kids how to head the ball properly and youre good, like its been for for a hundred odd years.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:51 AM

21,364 posts, read 21,922,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They can make them wear safety helmets. They may even make the headers more powerful, and score more goals. Or they can make the ball lighter.
or they can make the ball very, very small

Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
or they can make the ball very, very small
They could use balloons or beach balls too.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Just teach kids how to head the ball properly and youre good, like its been for for a hundred odd years.

I've heard that before but it reminds me of the people that originally said there is no concussion (or CTE) crisis among American football players. Below is why I am really having a hard time believing that if you head the ball correctly then sub-concussive (or concussive) hits are eliminated. As I said above Dr. Omalu is very familiar with world football....

Also, the process of heading results in heads banging at times with the opposition. Which I'm to assume is not good for the brain either.

Full article:
Exclusive: 'Change football's laws or head for oblivion' - brain expert says game faces fight for its future

Some snippets:
Bennet Omalu, who first identified Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) in NFL players and inspired a Hollywood film, is convinced that scores of British footballers are also suffering from the devastating disease.

Omalu says that anyone still disputing the damage sustained by repeated heading and aerial collisions is defying basic science and common sense, and that football is ultimately gambling with its own health if it does not respond.

“I am speaking out because I recognise that it is for the long-term survivability of the sport,” says Omalu. “If I didn’t love this sport, I would have chosen to keep quiet and see it implode. I support soccer but 21st-century, smart, brain-friendly soccer. Nothing is too big or popular to fail.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:06 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,719,168 times
Anybody that talks about this and doesn't mention the different types of soccer balls .... doesn't know what he's talking about

I grew up in the 80s with what I believe was a "Mikasa FT-5" ball
Anybody that grew up with that ball knows what I'm talking about
That thing is technically a small basketball

Today's soccer balls are closer to a volleyball than anything else

Old 10-04-2017, 09:03 AM

9,705 posts, read 6,648,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Anybody that talks about this and doesn't mention the different types of soccer balls .... doesn't know what he's talking about

I grew up in the 80s with what I believe was a "Mikasa FT-5" ball
Anybody that grew up with that ball knows what I'm talking about
That thing is technically a small basketball

Today's soccer balls are closer to a volleyball than anything else
Yep.

And there have been quite a few studies on the matter. No permanent damage has been linked to heading the ball.
If there should be any cause for concern at all, I think it would be goalie safety. There is a level of insanity in standing in front of a rocket ball wearing nothing but a t-shirt, shorts, shin guards and gloves. Not to mention sliding and attacking strikers kicking away with hard cleats face first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or