U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 11:37 AM

18,639 posts, read 27,073,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Those leagues didn't choose the number of teams. FIFA told them how many team to have in the early 90s. FIFA then wanted them to go to 18 each, but the leagues refused in the 2000s.

In the Premier League only 5 teams have won the championship in the last 25 years. What so great about only the rich teams having a chance to win in a league?

Reason MLS doesn't make as much money, or soccer in general in the US, is there aren't any TV timeouts for commercials.
No league is perfect. But what they do in Europe has resulted in higher quality play with higher quality players. What the US does for the game results in mediocrity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 12:08 PM

9,662 posts, read 6,630,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No league is perfect. But what they do in Europe has resulted in higher quality play with higher quality players. What the US does for the game results in mediocrity.
So what does MLS need to do to step it up? I don't think popularity is the issue, since the games sell tickets quite well.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:24 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,128,635 times
Maybe I'm not as much of a football/soccer fan as I'd like to believe, but I have to admit that I've never seen an MLS game all the way through, TV or otherwise. Maybe that says it all right there!

I gravitate more towards local American youth leagues and programs, as well as both the Men's and Women's national Teams as they progress through World Cup Qualifications, Groups, Knockouts, and Q/S/Finals play.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:32 PM

18,639 posts, read 27,073,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
So what does MLS need to do to step it up? I don't think popularity is the issue, since the games sell tickets quite well.
I donít have all the answers at all. But I think a big step is to stop making the mls as a retirement swan song league for European players. It needs to market to the inner city kids and show them this game is cool. There is an appetite there for this game but the mls and USSF continually ignores it in favor of that rich pay to play system.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:53 PM

9,662 posts, read 6,630,462 times
Quote:
I donít have all the answers at all. But I think a big step is to stop making the mls as a retirement swan song league for European players. It needs to market to the inner city kids and show them this game is cool. There is an appetite there for this game but the mls and USSF continually ignores it in favor of that rich pay to play system.
Ugh... tell me about it. I just dropped thousands for my 9 year olds upcoming season. Absolutely ridiculous. Unfortunately, itís the only way to do it unless one does rev league, which just isnít as much fun.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:18 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,414,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
MLS is now close to matching MLB in terms of popularity in the US; the former is rising while the latter is fading.
I'd love to see you back up this claim with some evidence. I think you're conflating the popularity of soccer in general with the popularity of a league that is, at best, top 15 in the world in quality.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
It's more than just marketing, though that is part of it. These kids need opportunities to play, grow, and advance in the sport. Under the current system which in many cases is more about making money than developing soccer talent, a large chunk of the population is priced out.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:54 PM

79 posts, read 104,257 times
I see MLS slowly continue to get better, but as long as soccer is a sport for wealthy suburban families our countryís talent pool will never be top tier and MLS will not be a top tier league. I mostly watch and follow my local MLS team and donít watch many games in Europe, but it is easy to see the quality is play is better over there. I understand why many American soccer fans prefer European soccer over MLS.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAIDOR View Post
I see MLS slowly continue to get better, but as long as soccer is a sport for wealthy suburban families our countryís talent pool will never be top tier and MLS will not be a top tier league. I mostly watch and follow my local MLS team and donít watch many games in Europe, but it is easy to see the quality is play is better over there. I understand why many American soccer fans prefer European soccer over MLS.
It doesn't help that a lot of mid-sized and large American markets don't have an MLS team.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:27 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,394,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAIDOR View Post
You know I claimed that a lot but I dont see it anymore. I see MLS adding teams to a weak pool of players just because someone has a few hundred million to give them, not to grow the league. The pool of players is weak and when MLS dilutes it, they get poor players from South America and Europe. None of it is helping the league.

I had to laugh when Macmanaman was on ESPN+ and he said whats wrong with the goalkeepers in this league. His reaction to a lot of the things on the MLS segment of the show was hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or