U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 07:38 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,401,847 times

Advertisements

The 48 team WC is garbage and will weaken it. The multi nations hosting it is terrible too. Ireland and UK are apparently considering a joint bid, thats a 4 team auto qualified, 5 if Norn Iron are included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 08:23 AM

3,668 posts, read 3,528,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The 48 team WC is garbage and will weaken it. The multi nations hosting it is terrible too. Ireland and UK are apparently considering a joint bid, thats a 4 team auto qualified, 5 if Norn Iron are included.

Two biggest markets of FIFA are China and USA. All money, corporates, TV viewership comes from these two nations. In 32 country World Cup, they are not able to qualify. In 48 team WC, you will see both USA and China. It is sponsors pressure too in expanding the WC. Just look at all the Chinese language ads along the stadium pitch perimenter. When American corporates show Mandarin ads in a world cup organised in Russia, the message is clear-who is the Boss !!!

Old 06-19-2018, 07:34 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Soccer is all about the money. Doesn't matter if it's FIFA or UEFA. They continue to expand their premiere tournaments, World Cup going to 48 teams and the Euro going to 24 teams. All a money grab and at the same time watering down the tournaments.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:02 PM

2,545 posts, read 6,260,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
For what itís worth, the 2026 World Cup will be the first Cup with 48 teams , up from 32....so there will be a net of an extra 13 teams if you exclude the 3 spots for the 3 host countries
Oh did not check on that, so it does make it a little palatable.

But I agree with BrianH completely, some of its going to be garbage.
Just think that you are going to also watch the last round of qualifying matches (48 of them) before they qualify for the final 32.

Its definitely about the $$$, but I think the sub-continent needs the exposure to soccer again, its a growing sport and glad to see its going to be here. If the USA gets as far as it did in Japan, it will do wonders.

Unless the record books are opened for the final 32 teams, all records will be broken.
Golden boot - 20 goals never before

Old 06-20-2018, 05:31 AM

438 posts, read 288,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Because Japan and South Korea are playing in the current world cup without being a host, so I am relatively OK with it.

Mehico - I give it to them, USA is marginal at best, maybe it can get in without hosting. Does Canada have a soccer team ? or are they going to let the hockey team loose on the field ? They are the weakest link and are taking up a undeserving spot.

Japan and South Korea were given a free pass when they co-hosted in 2002. In 2026 the tournament will expand to 48 teams. I am watching Russia have a fantastic run as a host, it's better when they are included.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:40 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Oh did not check on that, so it does make it a little palatable.

But I agree with BrianH completely, some of its going to be garbage.
Just think that you are going to also watch the last round of qualifying matches (48 of them) before they qualify for the final 32.

Its definitely about the $$$, but I think the sub-continent needs the exposure to soccer again, its a growing sport and glad to see its going to be here. If the USA gets as far as it did in Japan, it will do wonders.

Unless the record books are opened for the final 32 teams, all records will be broken.
Golden boot - 20 goals never before
The new allocation of spots in the tournament will mean CONCACAF will go from 3 automatic spots, to 6 automatic spots, plus their usual playoff spot.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:48 AM

2,545 posts, read 6,260,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The new allocation of spots in the tournament will mean CONCACAF will go from 3 automatic spots, to 6 automatic spots, plus their usual playoff spot.
Right, I did not realize that we were going to have garbage. Its all good as far as hosts getting a ride.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:46 AM

3,668 posts, read 3,528,920 times
New Zealand should be very happy with this expansion. With 1 spot for OFC, their spot is guaranteed. They used to lose in playoffs.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:09 AM

438 posts, read 288,126 times
I think people should do a little reading about how the World Cup is going to change with 48 teams before making uninformed comments. Teams will only be playing two games instead of three before the knockout round. So teams making the finals will still have played seven games, same as today.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:06 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,417,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
I think people should do a little reading about how the World Cup is going to change with 48 teams before making uninformed comments. Teams will only be playing two games instead of three before the knockout round. So teams making the finals will still have played seven games, same as today.
Sure, but those matches, especially in the group stage, are going to be very underwhelming. Right now, each group consists of, more or less, two of the top 16 teams in the tournament so we're guaranteed some of these interesting matchups like Belgium-England, Portugal-Spain, Brazil-Switzerland, Mexico-Germany, and many others that don't feature big names but are just as intriguing. In the new format, the top 16 teams will all be in separate groups and so you'll see less of that.

Making matters worse, I also expect that there will be a number of early knockout round upsets because inferior teams will "park the bus" and play for penalty kicks. I would like to see more matches between the best teams in the world, particularly in the later rounds, and I suspect that this is statistically less likely to happen with the new format.

But more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or