Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:40 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Can someone tell me why the UK doesn't play as a united team? History or ?
I'm not British but yeeee 'course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1pVdbOkz-E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 03:07 PM

89 posts, read 76,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
I don't see Portugal and Colombia as dark horses.

Maybe they are not absolut favorites but it wouldn't surprise me if they arrive to the Final.
I agree with you, Dark horses are generally little teams that shock the world by eliminating the top dogs.

In Brazil 2014 Costa rica was the dark horse, they pretty much destroyed Italy and England chances to advance, and almost kicked the Netherlands out in fourths, almost making it to the quarter finals (Netherlands won with penalty kicks 3-4)

Colombia, Portugal, Croatia are strong, they will come, gives us a great show, eliminate a bunch of teams, and then get kicked out by the tiresome top dogs (Brazil, germany)

Old 06-14-2018, 03:16 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
Quote:
I’ve asked the same question before, on the Soccer Forum (it was in relation to a Team GB Football team, at the Olympics):

Does the Olympic football tournament make sense ?

I’d be all for a united team. In the Rugby, we have our separate countries, yet we have a British Lions team, as well.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:41 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabb View Post
I agree with you, Dark horses are generally little teams that shock the world by eliminating the top dogs.

In Brazil 2014 Costa rica was the dark horse, they pretty much destroyed Italy and England chances to advance, and almost kicked the Netherlands out in fourths, almost making it to the quarter finals (Netherlands won with penalty kicks 3-4)

Colombia, Portugal, Croatia are strong, they will come, gives us a great show, eliminate a bunch of teams, and then get kicked out by the tiresome top dogs (Brazil, germany)
I agree with you on this Irene, would love to see Colombia, Portugal or Croatia do well!

Old 06-14-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
It might be because the very first "international" football game was between England and Scotland, and it's just stayed as it was?!

If there actually was a UK team, they'd probably do much better though! (Gareth Bale would be immense!)

Old 06-14-2018, 05:10 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
It might be because the very first "international" football game was between England and Scotland, and it's just stayed as it was?!

If there actually was a UK team, they'd probably do much better though! (Gareth Bale would be immense!)
Yeah if we had an EU (continental Europe) team the rest of the world may as well quit

Old 06-14-2018, 05:13 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post

Yes, with a British team, we might actually win something... for a change!

Old 06-14-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Yeah if we had an EU (continental Europe) team the rest of the world may as well quit
Haha, there has to be a limit somewhere

Old 06-14-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Yes, with a British team, we might actually win something... for a change!
Well I'd be for it, being half-English/half-Welsh!

Old 06-14-2018, 05:57 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Brazil was present in all editions of the world cups. The only national team that got it.

We had new champions in the last decades, Foreign legion (France) 1998 and Spain in 2010.
France, Foreign Legion? I hope you’re kidding, every player in the French team in the 1998 final was a Frenchman, although Thuram was born in Guadelope, French West Indies, Karembou was born in New Caledonia, a French Overseas Territory, and the only doubt you could throw up could be Desailly, who was born in Ghana, but his mother married a Frenchman, who adopted him.

Quote:
Partly money, but only partly, the Welsh F.A., the Scottish F.A., and the Northern Ireland F.A. would likely cease to exist, as England’s F.A., as the largest, would probably become the U.K. F.A., and that would mean a few angry Welsh, Scots, and Ulstermen out of work.
In addition, divisions run deep, and lots of Scots would hate to have Scottish players playing alongside Englishmen, and vice versa, Northern Irishmen would maybe feel the same, but not with the hatred that Scots harbour for Sassenachs.
If U.K, won anything, many Scots would say, “Keep it, it’s nae oors, there were too many ba***rd English in the team.”
As for this World Cup, as someone born in England, and ready to defend it if the need arises, I’d be happy if England were the unlikely winners, but my French blood leans heavily toward Les Bleus, but having a German daughter-in-law, and two half German grandsons, gives me another bite of the cherry, Komm auf Deutschland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer