U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city(s) do you prefer?
Ekaterinburg 1 9.09%
Kaliningrad 1 9.09%
Kazan 4 36.36%
Nizhny Novgorod 3 27.27%
Rostov-on-Don 2 18.18%
Samara 1 9.09%
Saransk 2 18.18%
Sochi 6 54.55%
Volgograd 2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:21 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,586,273 times

Advertisements

I was in Kazan last week to watch the France vs Argentina game! It was great! The city was really into the tournament (helped by the fact most of the games that were played there were actually very good ones at that)! Locals were taking pictures with foreign fans who were lugging around or wearing their flags! It was surreal watching Bauman Street (the main pedestrian road in the city) empty out when Russia played Spain in the R16, only for it to spontaneously fill up with revellers after Igor Akinfeev saved the day for the host country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 12:51 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,896,740 times
Interestingly enough the only city where every match this World Cup have sold out is Moscow. Both of their stadiums have been full houses for all of the games played there.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 PM

3,792 posts, read 3,033,728 times
I think that just comes down to ease of access and income levels, and also I think the teams playing in Moscow have been more traditionally popular/travel well. Thanks to other posters who have shared information about the other Russian cities, and to the poster who posted about his positive experience in Kazan.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:57 AM

And I just read that Kazan has gained a moniker during the World Cup as well - "The Graveyard of Champions". The name is a nod to the fact that three of the World Cup's traditionally greatest teams (Germany, Argentina, and Brazil - who collectively have 11 of the 21 titles between them) ALL crashed out of the tournament in the said city. I do not know of any other World Cup stadium besides Kazan Arena where so many teams with such pedigree have crashed out in the SAME tournament - let alone before the Final Four are revealed!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1JX0RZ

Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 AM

3,792 posts, read 3,033,728 times
Hey, that is pretty interesting! Well, I'm sure the bars in Kazan made a good profit on those drowning their sorrows! LOL

Old 07-19-2018, 12:17 PM

3,997 posts, read 2,251,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Hey, that is pretty interesting! Well, I'm sure the bars in Kazan made a good profit on those drowning their sorrows! LOL
Not sure if you know of this, but Kazan is also somewhat of a unique city in Russia (and the world) in that it has a very large Muslim and Christian population who live peacefully with one another and have lived among each other for the past 500 years or so.

I don't know the exact numbers, but 42% are ethnic Tatars which are predominantly Sunni Muslims and 50% are ethnic Russians which are predominantly orthodox Christians.

When you look at the entire Republic of Tatarstan, 33.8% follow Islam, 30.5% follow Orthodox Christianity, 21% are non religious but spiritual, and 8.7% are atheist/irreligious.

Even Hillary Clinton visited Kazan in 2009 as a case study of interfaith relations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interf...tions_in_Kazan

Old 07-19-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
LOL! True! But don't forget also the joys of the fans of teams (South Korea, France, and Belgium respectively) that upset those three! Hehehe...

Anyway, hopefully one day UEFA will consider holding the Champions League Final there! The said competition has become a bit too predictable for my liking, and maybe whatever makes the stadium so conducive to great matches and upsets will infect the rest of the league of the season it would be held there to make things more interesting! LOL!

Last edited by mrconfusion87; 07-19-2018 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or