U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 01:43 PM

11,977 posts, read 17,487,251 times

Advertisements

Why USA never go to semifinals/finals in World Cup?

Give it time ....

It is not fully in our DNA yet, but the seeds have sprouted.

I remember the 1970s when Soccer was going to be the next big thing and Pele came to play for the New York Cosmos. It did not quite happen, but we did take notice.

It would be around another 20 years before the next big leap came when we hosted the 1994 World Cup. This created a lot more interest. In between those two events, a lot more kids started playing and- strange nobody has mentioned this- a lot more Hispanics came to the US. They tend to like the sport.

The MLS followed and while nobody would compare it to Premier League or the Bundesliga, the matches are fun- hey, I take my kid, who- you guessed it- plays Soccer. (He is rooting for France on Sunday while I want Croatia).

It also helps that more and more people are traveling and residing abroad. I studied in Germany and forced myself to watch the Bundesliga first for social reasons (when in Rome ...) but later because I liked it.

Yes, some mentioned the structural impediments unique to here. Those can be circumvented. Eventually, a country with a population of nearly 300 million is going to produce enough guys to field a good team. If countries like Belgium and Croatia can do so, so can we.

But it needs to embed itself more deeply in our culture. That takes time. I cannot help or critique my kid's play because frankly, I do not know enough about the game to do so. But he will. And so on.

A note to our European friends:

Be careful what you wish for. Do you really want this? Do you really want the USA to be a peer in Football? I think you know what I am saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 03:54 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,119,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Give it time ....

I remember the 1970s when Soccer was going to be the next big thing and Pele came to play for the New York Cosmos. It did not quite happen, but we did take notice.

It would be around another 20 years before the next big leap came when we hosted the 1994 World Cup. This created a lot more interest. In between those two events, a lot more kids started playing and- strange nobody has mentioned this- a lot more Hispanics came to the US. They tend to like the sport.

The MLS followed and while nobody would compare it to Premier League or the Bundesliga, the matches are fun- hey, I take my kid, who- you guessed it- plays Soccer. (He is rooting for France on Sunday while I want Croatia).

It also helps that more and more people are traveling and residing abroad. I studied in Germany and forced myself to watch the Bundesliga first for social reasons (when in Rome ...) but later because I liked it.

Yes, some mentioned the structural impediments unique to here. Those can be circumvented. Eventually, a country with a population of nearly 300 million is going to produce enough guys to field a good team. If countries like Belgium and Croatia can do so, so can we.

But it needs to embed itself more deeply in our culture. That takes time. I cannot help or critique my kid's play because frankly, I do not know enough about the game to do so. But he will. And so on.

Be careful what you wish for. Do you really want this? Do you really want the USA to be a peer in Football? I think you know what I am saying.
Excellent points, Moth!

Old 07-13-2018, 04:00 PM

1,274 posts, read 928,427 times
Quote:

Give it time ....

Good post! As to your last question - bring it on!!

Old 07-13-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Good post! As to your last question - bring it on!!
LOL! Someday....

Old 07-13-2018, 06:27 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Quote:
LOL! Someday....
If it makes any sense, the world isnít and is waiting for us to join the party. Heck, some just want us to call it football instead of soccer.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:55 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,963,075 times
considering that a sizeable proportion of americans hold the sport of soccer in near contempt or at best like to mock it , i think the usa are a pretty decent team and have an ok record down the years , they have qualified for most world cups and often gotten out of their group and into the knock out stages

the game is still very small in america relative to any other nation

Old 07-16-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
considering that a sizeable proportion of americans hold the sport of soccer in near contempt or at best like to mock it , i think the usa are a pretty decent team and have an ok record down the years , they have qualified for most world cups and often gotten out of their group and into the knock out stages

the game is still very small in america relative to any other nation
True.

It has always been highly regarded as an "activity sport". It is as a spectator sport where the appeal has been slow to come.

To be fair, it has always been "crowded out" by other professional and college sports. Here you have the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB plus professional tennis. Add college football and basketball to that mix and Soccer has had a great deal of competition for the sport fan's time.

But... that has been changing. I recall Italy winning the 1982 World Cup. It was a briefly mentioned and the news and I and all my friends mentioned it for a moment and then forgot it.

Fast forward to now: I and those same friends not only watched the final yesterday, but most of the entire tournament. My office even had viewing parties in our boardrooms.

And the US was not even playing. Progress.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:14 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,941,549 times
OP have you gotten a job yet? Everyone I'm back! Also the answer is "I don't know." I feel like the anti-immigrant anti-latin-american stuff in the MEDIA may have hurt our team's morale this year. Just personal opinion.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:19 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,832,404 times
Soccer (futbol) is the #1 sport in the world. IMO the USA men's team hasn't gone far because the US is still

1.Trying to catch up with the rest of the world in playing the game, (the US went from trying to play the German style to Brazilian, to Spanish (Spain) ; the best soccer is being played at the English Premier level you have to be a true athlete to play at this level),
2. Kids don't play enough soccer here. Most soccer athletes from around the globe are being recruited in their youth and play all day. Lack of indoor facilities, turf fields, proper grass fields (some fields are shared with baseball fields), soccer should be played year round (a lot of kids play a shortened season so it takes time to rebuild endurance or expand on skills)
3. USA is trying to play the game like american football most coaches don't understand the game or proper formations and lack a depth of strategy (a lot of youth coaches here haven't played the game), can't show kids a single move, can't develop players into professional athletes, there simply is a disconnect with coaches/parents and the kids
4. The USA makes the sport too soft, everyone wins a medal you have to clap instead of being being a loud fan,
5. We lack endurance to play the sport and aren't well conditioned
6. Refs don't understand the game
7. Soccer has become an elite sport in the USA making it too expensive
8. At an elite soccer club level there is too many politics, if your kid is playing on a B level team its impossible to get that player moved up to an ECNL or USA Academy level. All teams should be highly competitive and they aren't
9. USA athletes need to play in foreign countries (MLS isn't there yet) not one MLS team can beat any team in La Liga or any other club around the globe
10. Kids stop playing the sport in middle school/high school

Soccer (futbol) is changing in this country. The top soccer players are making hundred of millions of dollars (for the men). Women's soccer is just like women's basketball, a big disappointment (another topic) but hope it advances here and abroad.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:39 AM

603 posts, read 151,213 times
The US will go to the semifinals when the indigenous soccer ecosystem can attract top home-grown athletes to careers with multi-million dollar contracts. Up to now it hasn't been where the big money is, so players go elsewhere. However, American Football and Basketball are sports that strongly favor very large, tall athletes, so there's a whole range of top talent in the medium build area that can gravitate to soccer. The potential is there, and it's huge. If we could generate the types of players that come out of the European academies, we could easily be in the top 5 every year just based on population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or