U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:25 AM

639 posts, read 291,954 times

Advertisements

Hi dudes,

Forgive me, I usually watch World Cups but the thing is that I am not a football expert in any way. Just I have wondered so many times why USA never goes to semifinals and finals in World Cups. So, as far as I know, USA is a great country in several sports, why you are not so good in football as well? Sorry if I offend someone or I am asking trivial things, I am not from the USA but that is a question I've had so many times...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 10:28 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,948,644 times
Because we suck. Bottom line. We're just not that good at soccer. Our national interests run more towards football, baseball, NASCAR, and other stuff that you can take bathroom breaks, beer breaks, food brakes, and (most importantly) commercial breaks for.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:01 PM

7,548 posts, read 16,381,882 times
Because at their very best the US are a team that can battle. On their norm, theyre just terrible.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:12 PM

1,577 posts, read 981,082 times
My take: America's best athletes are dispersed over a wide(r) array of sports.. in countries like Brazil & Italy, etc.. soccer is typically getting a concentration of their best athletes.

Brazilian athletes aren't choosing between football, basketball, hockey, baseball, & soccer. They're probably choosing between soccer or soccer..

Old 06-27-2018, 05:40 PM

685 posts, read 980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Because we suck. Bottom line. We're just not that good at soccer. Our national interests run more towards football, baseball, NASCAR, and other stuff that you can take bathroom breaks, beer breaks, food brakes, and (most importantly) commercial breaks for.

OFFTOPIC: That's one annoying thing about american sports...I can't get how you people deal with so much interruptions on a trivial game that's suppose to last 1 hour (such as football) to turn into a painfull 2.5 hours or so.

Now, going back to topic, I believe US Soccer Federation might be starting to realize that soccer (like any other sport) is all about growing a winning generation from it's base. Can't say much 'cuz I don't follow all of MLS or how their teams prepare their youth to play at early ages but we've seen plenty of european soccer teams who put lots of money and time on recruiting and training young talented players only to see and harvest results 5-10 years later. (Take Messi as example and his whole lifetime in Barcelona).

That brings us back to a cultural bottom line: Soccer is yet far away from getting attention of US children (and parents) as a recreational sport. Baseball, football, basket are much more appealing to them...So it's hard to recruit children if they're not really into soccer.

Last but not least, MLS teams still seem to be more interested on bringing on experienced foreign players instead (Kaka, Ibraihmovic, Beckham, Ronaldo) just to make money on ticket sales.

All that reflects on a weakened National Team, short of resources to put on field and win matches.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:29 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,119,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Hi dudes,

Forgive me, I usually watch World Cups but the thing is that I am not a football expert in any way. Just I have wondered so many times why USA never goes to semifinals and finals in World Cups. So, as far as I know, USA is a great country in several sports, why you are not so good in football as well? Sorry if I offend someone or I am asking trivial things, I am not from the USA but that is a question I've had so many times...
That's not correct. USA has gone to semifinals and won World Cups.

https://www.topendsports.com/events/...en/winners.htm

Old 06-27-2018, 07:38 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,948,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
OFFTOPIC: That's one annoying thing about american sports...I can't get how you people deal with so much interruptions on a trivial game that's suppose to last 1 hour (such as football) to turn into a painfull 2.5 hours or so.
All what you're used to I guess. We use those stoppage of plays the same way you guys sometimes use the long periods of relatively slow soccer play, to grab snacks, use the bathroom, and vigourously "discuss" the pros and cons of our favorite players and refs.

Quote:
Now, going back to topic, I believe US Soccer Federation might be starting to realize that soccer (like any other sport) is all about growing a winning generation from it's base. Can't say much 'cuz I don't follow all of MLS or how their teams prepare their youth to play at early ages but we've seen plenty of european soccer teams who put lots of money and time on recruiting and training young talented players only to see and harvest results 5-10 years later. (Take Messi as example and his whole lifetime in Barcelona).

That brings us back to a cultural bottom line: Soccer is yet far away from getting attention of US children (and parents) as a recreational sport. Baseball, football, basket are much more appealing to them...So it's hard to recruit children if they're not really into soccer.

Last but not least, MLS teams still seem to be more interested on bringing on experienced foreign players instead (Kaka, Ibraihmovic, Beckham, Ronaldo) just to make money on ticket sales.

All that reflects on a weakened National Team, short of resources to put on field and win matches.
All this is true, except for the part about US children. The problem is, when those children get older, they get steered into more popular sports that generally have larger paydays out of college. MLS doesn't always end up with the best athletes around, a lot of guys end up playing football or basketball. That's not to say we don't have talent, guys like Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, and Tim Howard can play with some of the best in the world (Howard played in Europe), but we don't have as many of those guys as other countries do, because we have a lot of other sports splitting attention away. And it's interesting to note that none of those guys, who are four of the biggest American names in soccer, are on the U.S. National team anymore. It's also interesting to note, that of the entire U.S. National team, only 4 players come from the domestic Major Leage Soccer, , two players from the NY Red Bulls, and two players from Columbus Crew. Most of the others play for teams in EPL or Liga MX or Bundesliga (all have more than 2 teams represented on the US squad). I'm not sure where I'm going with that, my mind is just kind of wandering as I watch the Germany/South Korea replay, but I found it interesting.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:18 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,516,386 times
In 1930 World Cup, USA reached Semi Finals. Also QF in 2002.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:32 AM

7,548 posts, read 16,381,882 times
Quote:

MLS clubs do have OK youth systems but with the single entity there is no point in throwing lots of money into youth development. Say Liverpool nurture the next Messi and sell him they get all of that money so it was a sound investment. If an MLS side does the same, MLS gets a fair chunk of any fee so there is literally no point. Why develop an OK player when you can just go to the dredges of Europe or South America and get a player for cheap and save overall.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:59 AM

3,719 posts, read 3,876,167 times
America's best athletes do not play soccer. They play football. They play basketball. They play hockey. They play baseball. That is the reason the US is not dominant in soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or