Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:22 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,252,097 times

Advertisements

I think Neymar's antics are ridiculous, but it seems like he's being singled-out for the type of behavior that many soccer players engage in. That said, it's made for some hilarious memes over the past few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 11:48 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,530,105 times
I was pulling for Mexico as the closest thing to a home team (also for my Mexican friends) now will root for England, since they haven't made it this far in a long time. I would like to see Uruguay do well also.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:44 AM

628 posts, read 659,244 times
England. Although open borders has made the whole rooting for a county thing kinda bizarre. I think only like 4 players on the squad are white.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:51 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,240,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
England. Although open borders has made the whole rooting for a county thing kinda bizarre. I think only like 4 players on the squad are white.
And?

Old 07-08-2018, 05:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Born in England so i favor the team from England.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:34 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,779,092 times
Australia was my team heading into the tournament. Their fans always travel very well (and make a ton of noise) which is impressive given the long distances they've had to go to Germany, South Africa, Brazil and now Russia. They had over 20,000 make the trip to Russia this time around.

I am rooting for England to win now.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:41 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,578,421 times
Obviously, as an American, my original team would've been USA.

Obviously II, USA failed to take care of business bigtime!

At this point (Semis), I'm pulling for the Empire of England.

However, I keep wondering why so many people out there don't seem to have much love for them! What's the problem with England? They're a team which won a World Cup back in 1966, and hasn't duplicated that feat since. They deserve as much in the way of accolades and attention as any other.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:47 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,240,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Obviously, as an American, my original team would've been USA.

Obviously II, USA failed to take care of business bigtime!

At this point (Semis), I'm pulling for the Empire of England.

However, I keep wondering why so many people out there don't seem to have much love for them! What's the problem with England? They're a team which won a World Cup back in 1966, and hasn't duplicated that feat since. They deserve as much in the way of accolades and attention as any other.
Other nations have this strange idea that the English - both team and fans - are arrogant and have a sense of self-entitlement and I think this might come from the fact that the game was codified here and we claim some kind of ownership - hence the "It's coming home!" mantra from the song Three Lions. Also, the England team during the 2,000's was made up of talented, but narcissistic prima donnas like David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, John Terry (the so-called "golden generation") etc. The truth is, going into the tournament, the current team and most of the fans were quite modest about our chances and getting out the the group stage, even against some "lesser" teams, was considered an achievement, especially after the disaster of 2014 when we lost our first two games and were knocked out. Now we're in the semi-finals though, there is genuine, but restrained hope that the the team can win the whole thing

Old 07-08-2018, 04:17 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,578,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Other nations have this strange idea that the English - both team and fans - are arrogant and have a sense of self-entitlement and I think this might come from the fact that the game was codified here and we claim some kind of ownership - hence the "It's coming home!" mantra from the song Three Lions. Also, the England team during the 2,000's was made up of talented, but narcissistic prima donnas like David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, John Terry (the so-called "golden generation") etc. The truth is, going into the tournament, the current team and most of the fans were quite modest about our chances and getting out the the group stage, even against some "lesser" teams, was considered an achievement, especially after the disaster of 2014 when we lost our first two games and were knocked out. Now we're in the semi-finals though, there is genuine, but restrained hope that the the team can win the whole thing
Thanks for the explanation. These other nations have the same thoughts about America and our people, so nothing really to be concerned about there!

I've been enjoying this World Cup in general, and the success of the England side has been refreshing. If these guys continue to do what they've already been doing, there's reason for us to believe they'll be there at the end as well.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:52 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,912,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
You don't actually believe that all Englishmen are 'white' do you!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer