U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2018, 12:16 PM
 
6,252 posts, read 6,388,098 times
Reputation: 2866

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I'd like to see Lebron run up and down a soccer field for one and a half hours. The taller you are the slower you are to get back and defend.
You'd surprised at how fast some of these taller basketball players can be. I believe there was recently a 6'11" who did a court sprint in like 3 seconds

Mo Bamba has a 7'10" wingspan, runs the 3/4-court sprint faster than Russell Westbrook, Dwyane Wade, and John Wall

Also this guy a few years back. He did a court sprint in less than 3 seconds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Alexander
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2018, 12:49 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,884,781 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I'd like to see Lebron run up and down a soccer field for one and a half hours. The taller you are the slower you are to get back and defend.
I am sure Lebron could easily run the roughly 6 and a half miles soccer players run in a given match over the course of 90 plus minutes. Plenty of moments where players can walk to catch their breath, or stand around waiting for things to happen to catch their breath, such as setup a free kick, or for a player to stop laying on the ground after a foul or flop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 12:37 AM
 
Location: England
3,250 posts, read 3,145,610 times
Reputation: 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
You'd surprised at how fast some of these taller basketball players can be. I believe there was recently a 6'11" who did a court sprint in like 3 seconds

Mo Bamba has a 7'10" wingspan, runs the 3/4-court sprint faster than Russell Westbrook, Dwyane Wade, and John Wall

Also this guy a few years back. He did a court sprint in less than 3 seconds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Alexander
I get your point, but can they keep it up for 90 minutes on a football field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 10:55 AM
 
4,986 posts, read 11,064,056 times
Reputation: 11855
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why are centre forward position in association football not seeing players coming in that are as tall as basketball forwards or volleyball spikers?

It be advantageous for corner kicks. The goalies are usually tall, and can use their hands. So it seems to being taller be better because you need as much height as you can.

There are tall centre forwards but they are usually equivalent to a point guard in bball. Guys like Zlatan, Graziano Pelle were tall but not as tall as Lebron or Kevin Durant. How would Lebron or Kevin Durant do in soccer as centre forwards.

Ice hockey has guys like Zdeno, and tyler Myers and Brian Boyle who are all tall enough to play forward in BBall, and hockey is a grueling sport also.
Outside of the 5-6 average corner kicks taken in a soccer match where is the inherent advantage to "height" for a game played with a ball at your "feet"???

You say it "seems being taller be (sic) better because you need as much height as you can" outside of the grammatical problems with that statement.....just....why????

Why do you "need" as much "height as you can (sic)" for a game played at your feet???

Are there "moments" in a game where height can be an advantage?? Certainly...

Do those "moments" make "height" more desirable than skill with a ball at your feet???

Would any sane manager take a clumsy 6'6'' forward (even a moderately skilled forward) over Messi if given the choice?

2 of the most exciting teams to watch over the past decade Spanish National team 2010 era and Barcelona during the Messi era are probable 2 of the shortest teams you could find...

Your premise that being "tall" is an advantage for a center forward or any player outside of a keeper is flawed to say the least...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 06:14 PM
 
6,252 posts, read 6,388,098 times
Reputation: 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Outside of the 5-6 average corner kicks taken in a soccer match where is the inherent advantage to "height" for a game played with a ball at your "feet"???

You say it "seems being taller be (sic) better because you need as much height as you can" outside of the grammatical problems with that statement.....just....why????

Why do you "need" as much "height as you can (sic)" for a game played at your feet???

Are there "moments" in a game where height can be an advantage?? Certainly...

Do those "moments" make "height" more desirable than skill with a ball at your feet???

Would any sane manager take a clumsy 6'6'' forward (even a moderately skilled forward) over Messi if given the choice?

2 of the most exciting teams to watch over the past decade Spanish National team 2010 era and Barcelona during the Messi era are probable 2 of the shortest teams you could find...

Your premise that being "tall" is an advantage for a center forward or any player outside of a keeper is flawed to say the least...
I am talking about the centre forwards. The centre forwards most teams have dont bring up the ball. They get the rebounds, or finish close to goal with either a tap in or header.

Heading situation occur outside of the corner kick.

Messi is not a centre forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 AM
 
298 posts, read 189,000 times
Reputation: 912
height is not essential to playing soccer as it is in basketball. baseball is pretty similar in that sense. you have players of all heights. if height provided a distinct advantage in soccer, short players would have been eliminated.

https://qz.com/1328055/the-differenc...-so-wonderful/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 08:37 AM
 
729 posts, read 383,229 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why are centre forward position in association football not seeing players coming in that are as tall as basketball forwards or volleyball spikers?

It be advantageous for corner kicks. The goalies are usually tall, and can use their hands. So it seems to being taller be better because you need as much height as you can.

There are tall centre forwards but they are usually equivalent to a point guard in bball. Guys like Zlatan, Graziano Pelle were tall but not as tall as Lebron or Kevin Durant. How would Lebron or Kevin Durant do in soccer as centre forwards.

Ice hockey has guys like Zdeno, and tyler Myers and Brian Boyle who are all tall enough to play forward in BBall, and hockey is a grueling sport also.
Because you can use your taller defensive players in corner kicks and have fast and dribblers players as center forwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top