U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 PM

6,209 posts, read 6,370,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yeah ... but form and stuff.
This is a ridiculous thread.
yeah . . . but you really have nothing to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
I have as much to say as you, you speak nonsense and I just didnt say anything much.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:41 PM

1,725 posts, read 1,154,987 times
Because they arent true athletes, when youre too slow for basketball, too scared for baseball, and too small for football there is always soccer.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:55 PM

9,640 posts, read 6,612,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Because they arent true athletes, when youre too slow for basketball, too scared for baseball, and too small for football there is always soccer.
Too slow for basketball... When did basketball become a fast sport?

Aside from playing pitcher, what part of baseball is scary? I'd say playing goalkeeper is significantly worse. You're literally throwing your body into a missile of a solid ball with NO PROTECTION other than gloves.

As for football (American football,) I highly doubt anyone playing soccer really had much desire (if at all) to play American Football. A lot of soccer players around Europe, Canada and the US played hockey if anything, as it is another sport that requires ridiculous levels of stamina. And vice-versa: lots of pro hockey players also played competitive soccer growing up.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:36 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
Quote:

Because a true athlete weights 250lbs, gets tired after 5 seconds of movement and wears tights for a living.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:44 PM

1,274 posts, read 929,206 times
Quote:
You need more skill than all of those combined to be a good footballer (not calling it soccer).

Old 07-10-2018, 05:02 PM

9,640 posts, read 6,612,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Because a true athlete weights 250lbs, gets tired after 5 seconds of movement and wears tights for a living.
The average NFL player is actually considered "obese." LOL. Regardless of muscle mass, being at a 30+ BMI puts y=one at risk of obesity-related illnesses.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,754,840 times
Because they're frantically keeping their eye on and chasing a ball, scurrying between opposing soccer players, trying not to collide with any other soccer players and looking to move it as quickly and efficiently as possible, keeping it as close to their feet as possible, always looking to see if there's an opening for a teammate to assist and continue the course of the ball all while visually scanning for the goal while trying to determine the best open angle to kick it in either by himself or a teammate.

Sheesh, I can barely manage my purse and a cup of coffee while walking, I wouldn't dream of trying to run while being mentally and physically preoccupied with a true purpose in mind. Of course I'm not an athlete in the sense that they are...or in any sense for that matter.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 PM

2,270 posts, read 879,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Probably slower, but if he was chasing down a ball before it goes out of bounds, he can certainly use his full acceleration and galloping technique. Or if he is a wing back, and defending, and needs to chase down a ball carrier, then he wont have the ball at his feet.
He can but he won't. Not as a soccer player, not in most situations.

He has to pace himself. Usain Bolt plays a ten-second game. Soccer players play a 5400-second (90-minute) game. That, and it's a completely different game that is directly interactive. Apples to oranges.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:03 PM

6,209 posts, read 6,370,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Because they're frantically keeping their eye on and chasing a ball, scurrying between opposing soccer players, trying not to collide with any other soccer players and looking to move it as quickly and efficiently as possible, keeping it as close to their feet as possible, always looking to see if there's an opening for a teammate to assist and continue the course of the ball all while visually scanning for the goal while trying to determine the best open angle to kick it in either by himself or a teammate.

Sheesh, I can barely manage my purse and a cup of coffee while walking, I wouldn't dream of trying to run while being mentally and physically preoccupied with a true purpose in mind. Of course I'm not an athlete in the sense that they are...or in any sense for that matter.
American Football and rugby players do all that except bring up the ball with their feet. But again there is plenty of running without the ball in soccer too. But they have much better form when running. Rugby players like soccer have to stay out and run a lot too. (American football they get breaks)

But even with the ball at your feet, I believe there is still room for improvement. Have you seen Kylian Mbappe? He is one of the best young players. With or without ball, one arm is at his side, while the other arm is swinging sideways. You cannot possibly believe that can possibly be best form for even bringing up the ball at your feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or