U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 04:55 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times

Advertisements

Is it really a bad thing if the MLS does not become the top league in the world, or even a top 5 or 6 league in the world? You hear some fans complaining about the lack of promotion and relegation, the fact that they aren't on a European soccer schedule, or that they don't use the point system are some examples. Why does the MLS need to be a carbon copy of the European soccer leagues? What's wrong with the MLS putting an American twist on the sport of soccer?

The league is growing and getting better. It takes time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 05:45 PM

2,250 posts, read 503,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Is it really a bad thing if the MLS does not become the top league in the world, or even a top 5 or 6 league in the world? You hear some fans complaining about the lack of promotion and relegation, the fact that they aren't on a European soccer schedule, or that they don't use the point system are some examples. Why does the MLS need to be a carbon copy of the European soccer leagues? What's wrong with the MLS putting an American twist on the sport of soccer?

Yeah - it takes time, and I hope it does. But trying to put an ‘American twist’ on an old world-wide sport is part of what holds the league back - in terms of skill and in being taken seriously.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I don't throw around "Eurosnob", I mean that whenever I say it because those kinds of people exist.
Maybe you dont, and I wasnt trying to single you out for saying you do. I guess "euro snobs" can exist but why not just play the game and run it like the rest of the world. It doesnt make you a snob because you realise that the draft is BS and that names like the Cheeze Whiz of Kansas are ridiculous names.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Because its boring, its like if Europe had an NFL but did something like say have two halfs instead of two quarters. Its not the same game anymore, play it how it was meant to be played.

MLS is not trying to be a top league in the world. The MLS only goal is to continue to grow and charge teams a few hundred million to enter the league. They're already talking 30 to 32 and when they get 32 teams theyll be talking 36 and more.

The league is definitely growing, but its not getting better that I can see. Its very stagnant,. The whole point of a league is to grow your youth system and the way MLS is designed that they take huge cuts there is no point in teams throwing money into a youth system.

What America has always had is a poor talent pool of local players, so they delve into the dredges of South America and Europe to fill that gap. So now MLS just continues to add teams and dilute that same pool and dig even deeper into the foreign dredges to get players. It does not help the game. Yes I see DP's but you will never get a player in his prime in MLS because it is so poor and the salary cap.

Also, playing a team 3 times and another team once over the course of the league and two different conferences does not make out who the best team is. You need to play everyone twice and whoever has the most points was the best. Its not fair that someone plays a crap team like Colorado (My team) and gets an almost guaranteed 9 points when someone else plays them once. The MLS playoffs are boring when your team inst in it, I literally cant tell you who won MLS since 2010 when we did. We need an MLS league with promo/relegation since the thing is so big and over grown now. An MLS Cup knockout comp needs to be a separate competition.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Because its boring, its like if Europe had an NFL but did something like say have two halfs instead of two quarters. Its not the same game anymore, play it how it was meant to be played.

MLS is not trying to be a top league in the world. The MLS only goal is to continue to grow and charge teams a few hundred million to enter the league. They're already talking 30 to 32 and when they get 32 teams theyll be talking 36 and more.

The league is definitely growing, but its not getting better that I can see. Its very stagnant,. The whole point of a league is to grow your youth system and the way MLS is designed that they take huge cuts there is no point in teams throwing money into a youth system.

What America has always had is a poor talent pool of local players, so they delve into the dredges of South America and Europe to fill that gap. So now MLS just continues to add teams and dilute that same pool and dig even deeper into the foreign dredges to get players. It does not help the game. Yes I see DP's but you will never get a player in his prime in MLS because it is so poor and the salary cap.

Also, playing a team 3 times and another team once over the course of the league and two different conferences does not make out who the best team is. You need to play everyone twice and whoever has the most points was the best. Its not fair that someone plays a crap team like Colorado (My team) and gets an almost guaranteed 9 points when someone else plays them once. The MLS playoffs are boring when your team inst in it, I literally cant tell you who won MLS since 2010 when we did. We need an MLS league with promo/relegation since the thing is so big and over grown now. An MLS Cup knockout comp needs to be a separate competition.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:20 PM

5,264 posts, read 3,311,295 times
Quote:
We need an MLS league with promo/relegation since the thing is so big and over grown now.
At least in the US, when a city/county/state/owner spends $400+ million on a brand new soccer specific stadium, with the possibility the team that ends up playing in that stadium could drop from playing in a top tier to the lower tier, that will not go over well at all. Maybe in Europe, but not here!

There's probably only a handful of US markets where the fans might still come out in crazy numbers to support their team if they got relegated.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
At least in the US, when a city/county/state/owner spends $400+ million on a new soccer specific stadium, with the possibility the team that ends up playing in that stadium could drop from playing in a top tier to a lower tier, will not go over well at all. Maybe in Europe, but not here!

There's probably only a handful of US markets where the fans might still come out in crazy numbers to support their team if they got relegated.
It’s in direct conflict with FIFA. ‘Sporting merit’ should determine whether a club plays in a top division - not cash for a soccer specific stadium.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s in direct conflict with FIFA. ‘Sporting merit’ should determine whether a club plays in a top division - not cash for a soccer specific stadium.
Agreed, but what cjseliga said sums it up really. Across the globe football teams represent communities with many reasons why you support that team. In America we dont have teams here, theyre all franchises. Big business and are treated as such which is another reason it wont compete with big leagues on the global market.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but what cjseliga said sums it up really. Across the globe football teams represent communities with many reasons why you support that team. In America we dont have teams here, theyre all franchises. Big business and are treated as such which is another reason it wont compete with big leagues on the global market.
I recognize that - but it could be argued if MLS is never held to the same FIFA ‘standards’, it will eventually die again (NASL in 1984). History will just repeat itself.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:01 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I recognize that - but it could be argued if MLS is never held to the same FIFA ‘standards’, it will eventually die again (NASL in 1984). History will just repeat itself.
That is a foolish statement - the MLS is not going to die out because it lacks promotion and relegation. The MLS is entering its 24th season and is trending upward. The NASL is a bad comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer