Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 03:08 PM

8,583 posts, read 3,806,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
That is a foolish statement - the MLS is not going to die out because it lacks promotion and relegation. The MLS is entering its 24th season and is trending upward. The NASL is a bad comparison.
What’s foolish is your claim it’s not a direct comparison. NASL was the major soccer league in US and Canada from 1968 to 1984. Where is it now? Just because it’s growing (and private investors are throwing money into it) does not mean the popularity or the skill level of soccer in the US will continue to grow - or that we are taken anymore seriously world-wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 03:20 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,854,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I recognize that - but it could be argued if MLS is never held to the same FIFA ‘standards’, it will eventually die again (NASL in 1984). History will just repeat itself.
...did you really just compare MLS to the (original) NASL?

That's like comparing Amazon Prime to Blockbuster Video.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
...did you really just compare MLS to the (original) NASL?

That's like comparing Amazon Prime to Blockbuster Video.
Both are/were the major soccer league in the US. You are skewing it in your mind because NASL is also the name of another league (which went on hiatus in 2017). Look it up - you will see there is no correlation between the two NASL’s. Now look up the old MAJOR PROFESSIONAL SOCCER LEAGUE with the same name. It dissolved in 1984 - because oh yeah, it was losing money and lack of American interest in the sport.

It is an absolute direct head-to head comparison - as they both are/were professional soccer leagues in the US.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:12 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,854,546 times
Quote:
Both are/were the major soccer league in the US.
And that's where the comparison ENDS.

MLS already has about 6 years more on the original NASL with more teams, more stability, more grass-roots fanbases, and no sign of slowing down. The NASL couldn't survive with less completion in an era with no internet and not nearly as much civic backing.

So again, it's a horrible comparison.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
And that's where the comparison ENDS.

MLS already has about 6 years more on the original NASL with more teams, more stability, more grass-roots fanbases, and no sign of slowing down. The NASL couldn't survive with less completion in an era with no internet and not nearly as much civic backing.

So again, it's a horrible comparison.
You said the two leagues were no comparison; but in fact, it’s a direct head to head comparison. I never made the prediction MLS would fold (I hope it doesn’t), I merely am making the point it’s prudent to consider the (relatively new) history of the sport in the US (and is not our first attempt) and its problems.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:02 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,861,397 times
Quote:
Because it's not organic.

Instead of the "Atlanta Silverbacks", a name for a pre-existing team that was around since '94, they chose to go with "Atlanta United"... as if there aren't already two other teams with that name in the league. They scrapped a unique name for "tradition".

Or Real Salt Lake... WHY? Does Utah have a high Hispanic/Spanish population? No. It was specifically named after other, more well known clubs in Europe.
I think silverbacks can be strewed as being offensive to the black community.

Quote:
Define "hokey"... and HOW?

Earthquakes + a city in Northern California that experiences earthquakes...
Fire = a very important historical event in the city of Chicago...
"Dynamo" in Houston, a city known for space exploration and energy...
Philadelphia Union... no explanation needed.

Seattle Sounders, Vancouver Whitecaps, Portland Timbers, Columbus Crew, Montreal Impact; all those names not only have history, but mean something. Even Kansas City's old name was referencing something to Kansas, even if it did sound dumb.

I respect those more than the forced, wannabe Premiere League names that came about in the last decade.
What is the significance of Crew or Impact to those cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The only name that really sticks out for me is Real Salt Lake, which is an obvious take on Real Madrid. But Salt Lake has a 20% hispanic population, so maybe it made sense business-wise?
Real means Royal, why not just be Salt Lake Royals to english fans, and then on the spanish language channels they can be Real SLC.

Quote:
Yeah - it takes time, and I hope it does. But trying to put an ‘American twist’ on an old world-wide sport is part of what holds the league back - in terms of skill and in being taken seriously.
Perhaps foreign players wont like it as much. We can still attract and develop our own talent which is far more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Maybe you dont, and I wasnt trying to single you out for saying you do. I guess "euro snobs" can exist but why not just play the game and run it like the rest of the world. It doesnt make you a snob because you realise that the draft is BS and that names like the Cheeze Whiz of Kansas are ridiculous names.
Sporting KC is much worse than the KC Wizards. What is sporting even suppose to mean?

Old 03-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Perhaps foreign players wont like it as much. We can still attract and develop our own talent which is far more important.

?
We’ve been saying we can attract and develop our own talent for years; and yet, here we still are. The focus is on other sports in this country, and most professional athletes seek bigger fame and fortune in football, baseball, basketball (and even hockey). Those who do manage to become successful (and are skilled enough to be highly competitive) do so because they left MLS/the US. (Altidore, Goodson, Donovan, Bradley, Edu, Friedel, Dempsey, Howard, etc.)

Old 03-04-2019, 07:53 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,386,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I think silverbacks can be strewed as being offensive to the black community.

What is the significance of Crew or Impact to those cities?

Real means Royal, why not just be Salt Lake Royals to english fans, and then on the spanish language channels they can be Real SLC.

Sporting KC is much worse than the KC Wizards. What is sporting even suppose to mean?
Sporting KC is worse than the Wizards ? Sure, if by calling a team Wizards you want to have a bunch of Harry Potter fans as your core support. I hate the Cheeze Whiz team and find that funny. What does Sporting mean ? A Sporting club is usually more than just a football club.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Sporting KC is worse than the Wizards ? Sure, if by calling a team Wizards you want to have a bunch of Harry Potter fans as your core support..

Old 03-04-2019, 09:15 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,861,397 times
Quote:
Sporting KC is worse than the Wizards ? Sure, if by calling a team Wizards you want to have a bunch of Harry Potter fans as your core support. I hate the Cheeze Whiz team and find that funny. What does Sporting mean ? A Sporting club is usually more than just a football club.
What about the Washington Wizards then? Or Chicago Cubs? Who likes Cubs but little kids with dolls? The Buffalo Bills? They are a reference to those old wild west figures like Buffalo Bill Cody, and his traveling show. Is that cheesy too? Columbus Blue Jackets is in reference to Civil War soldiers from Ohio. Are they only attractive team to watch for Civil War re-enactors? I guess the Portland Trail Blazers only attract fans that loved to play Oregon Trail back in the day. Dallas Cowboys fans are all a bunch of redneck cattle ranchers that chew tobacco, and ride horses to games. Sports team names have to be neutral and unoffensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer