U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What about the Washington Wizards then? Or Chicago Cubs? Who likes Cubs but little kids with dolls? The Buffalo Bills? They are a reference to those old wild west figures like Buffalo Bill Cody, and his traveling show. Is that cheesy too? Columbus Blue Jackets is in reference to Civil War soldiers from Ohio. Are they only attractive team to watch for Civil War re-enactors? I guess the Portland Trail Blazers only attract fans that loved to play Oregon Trail back in the day. Dallas Cowboys fans are all a bunch of redneck cattle ranchers that chew tobacco, and ride horses to games. Sports team names have to be neutral and unoffensive.
Yeah they all sound stupid to me, if I am honest. Typical ridiculous American type sports names, but theyre older teams and are what they are. I dont watch American sports generally but if I talk about them I always refer to them as Houston, Dalllas, Washington, Pittsburgh etc. I leave the childish sounding part out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 08:29 AM

2,256 posts, read 504,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yeah they all sound stupid to me, if I am honest. Typical ridiculous American type sports names, but theyre older teams and are what they are. I dont watch American sports generally but if I talk about them I always refer to them as Houston, Dalllas, Washington, Pittsburgh etc. I leave the childish sounding part out.
Well - it’s a bit different in our football as those names are ‘traditional’ in the same way ‘FC’ is traditional to soccer.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Well - it’s a bit different in our football as those names are ‘traditional’ in the same way ‘FC’ is traditional to soccer.
I totally agree, that's why I said they are what they are. But as a grown ass man you have another thing coming if you think I am going to talking about the Wizards vs the Warlocks or whatever lol. Luckily it doesnt come up very often since I dont watch the sports.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 504,513 times
Quote:
I totally agree, that's why I said they are what they are. But as a grown ass man you have another thing coming if you think I am going to talking about the Wizards vs the Warlocks or whatever lol. Luckily it doesnt come up very often since I dont watch the sports.
Although I agree with you, I think the names are the least of our worries when it comes to MLS.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:02 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Quote:
And there it is . . .

(Also, the last part of that is ridiculous within itself since there are SO MANY different cities/teams in multiple different leagues and sports. You HAVE to refer to the nicknames if you're talking about North American sports in general.)

Old 03-05-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Although I agree with you, I think the names are the least of our worries when it comes to MLS.
Oh yeah, you only have to read how much I hate the expansions, MLS involvement in transfers, the standard of football etc.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And there it is . . .

(Also, the last part of that is ridiculous within itself since there are SO MANY different cities/teams in multiple different leagues and sports. You HAVE to refer to the nicknames if you're talking about North American sports in general.)
Meh, I don't think so. If you're talking about (American) football you can generally say Houston, Buffalo etc. There isn't an abundance of multiple teams in the same city. Also the thing is, the Wisconsin Warlocks isnt a nickname, its their name. A nickname would be team called Wisconsin and they were referred to as the Warlocks sometime. Yes, I know its a fictitious name, I am just using an example.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:16 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Quote:
Meh, I don't think so. If you're talking about (American) football you can generally say Houston, Buffalo etc. There isn't an abundance of multiple teams in the same city. Also the thing is, the Wisconsin Warlocks isnt a nickname, its their name. A nickname would be team called Wisconsin and they were referred to as the Warlocks sometime. Yes, I know its a fictitious name, I am just using an example.
I don't think we're on the same page, man...

Old 03-08-2019, 02:40 PM

6,201 posts, read 6,361,382 times
If all you grown ass men want a more bad tough sounding name for Kansas soccer team, they can be the Kansas City Tornados ASC (association soccer club) instead of the Wizards.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If all you grown ass men want a more bad tough sounding name for Kansas soccer team, they can be the Kansas City Tornados ASC (association soccer club) instead of the Wizards.
I cant take them seriously as Kansas have had more names than ive had hot dinners. Ill stick to calling them Sporting Whiz of Kansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer