U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2019, 07:59 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,310 posts, read 523,741 times
Reputation: 1186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Nice! Now, if only we could get a consistent level of talent across the league, things would be great. The games are fun to watch, no doubt, but the level of play can be pretty terrible at times.
If you believe the level of play to be ‘terrible’, what makes the games fun for you to watch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2019, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,721 posts, read 6,670,515 times
Reputation: 12212
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If you believe the level of play to be ‘terrible’, what makes the games fun for you to watch?
It's still exciting, and the level of competitiveness is still there. I don't have to be watching the top talents of the world to be enjoying myself. The competition makes it fun to watch. Some individual players are also very good. In Orlando, I am very much enjoying watching the likes of Nani, Dwyer, Mueller, and defensively, Lamine Sane. But at the same time, some of the players on the team can't even control a pass without it bouncing off into opposition's possession. It doesn't make the games "not fun" to watch. It's still exciting. It's just certainly not at the same level as other leagues around the world.

Also, "terrible" relative to top tier leagues. It's sort of like watching ECHL in hockey vs NHL. Maybe not as bad, as there are a few top talents in MLS. But the Main difference is MLS is the top league we can watch in this country (and Canada,) so there isn't an alternative to watch a higher level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 11:32 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,310 posts, read 523,741 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's still exciting, and the level of competitiveness is still there. I don't have to be watching the top talents of the world to be enjoying myself. The competition makes it fun to watch. Some individual players are also very good. In Orlando, I am very much enjoying watching the likes of Nani, Dwyer, Mueller, and defensively, Lamine Sane. But at the same time, some of the players on the team can't even control a pass without it bouncing off into opposition's possession. It doesn't make the games "not fun" to watch. It's still exciting. It's just certainly not at the same level as other leagues around the world.

Also, "terrible" relative to top tier leagues. It's sort of like watching ECHL in hockey vs NHL. Maybe not as bad, as there are a few top talents in MLS. But the Main difference is MLS is the top league we can watch in this country (and Canada,) so there isn't an alternative to watch a higher level.
I agree the skill level isn’t on par (not so sure I’d label it ‘terrible’); that said, I don’t find the games as ‘fun to watch’ because of this, which is why I asked. I also find our Americanized version (focused on playoffs) makes it less fun/exciting as well. There is nothing else at stake (P&R); and if one’s team doesn’t have a chance to make playoffs, it quickly becomes boring (especially since the skill level is not as high). Competitiveness declines (and thus the fun in watching) once playoff potential is removed (which can happen quickly for many teams).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-23-2019 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,721 posts, read 6,670,515 times
Reputation: 12212
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I agree the skill level isn’t on par (not so sure I’d label it ‘terrible’); that said, I don’t find the games as ‘fun to watch’ because of this, which is why I asked. I also find our Americanized version (focused on playoffs) makes it less fun/exciting as well. There is nothing else at stake (P&R); and if one’s team doesn’t have a chance to make playoffs, it quickly becomes boring (especially since the skill level is not as high). Competitiveness declines (and thus the fun in watching) once playoff potential is removed (which can happen quickly for many teams).
I ABSOLUTELY agree with this. P&R would make things MUCH more competitive, regardless of whether or not a team has a shot at the playoffs. I actually wish more sports implemented this, especially in hockey, where teams are known to tank on purpose in order to obtain top draft picks. Losing should never be rewarded. And as a pro sport, there should ALWAYS be incentive to perform at the highest level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 04:23 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,310 posts, read 523,741 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's still exciting, and the level of competitiveness is still there. I don't have to be watching the top talents of the world to be enjoying myself. .
This is why I’m confused as to how you agreed with me about competitiveness lacking in the MLS (and the issue of P&R). We appear to have opposing viewpoints yet you agreed with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,721 posts, read 6,670,515 times
Reputation: 12212
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
This is why I’m confused as to how you agreed with me about competitiveness lacking in the MLS (and the issue of P&R). We appear to have opposing viewpoints yet you agreed with me.
Same reason why I still find hockey entertaining, despite the playoff, draft, etc., format. Despite the lack of "importance," attending games is still exciting. I'd rather ALL sports employ the P&R format and rules of Euro football/soccer, but alas... Such isn't the case. It takes away from the competitive nature of teams that don't make it to the playoffs for sure, but it's entertainment nonetheless. I'm a fan of the sport as a whole. I can find enjoyment in watching a U16 academy game if I happen to stumble upon one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,310 posts, read 523,741 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Same reason why I still find hockey entertaining, despite the playoff, draft, etc., format. Despite the lack of "importance," attending games is still exciting. I'd rather ALL sports employ the P&R format and rules of Euro football/soccer, but alas... Such isn't the case. It takes away from the competitive nature of teams that don't make it to the playoffs for sure, but it's entertainment nonetheless. I'm a fan of the sport as a whole. I can find enjoyment in watching a U16 academy game if I happen to stumble upon one.
I think the difference for me is the quality of play/skill level. In other sports, it’s not an issue (NBA, for example). The US is where other countries send their top players to compete amongst the best. In MLS soccer, it’s reversed. When we do have a top-skill level player (in soccer), it isn’t long before they leave for ‘greener pastures’. Part of my love for any game/sport is seeing it played at its (competitive) best (exception being a few college teams) - as in our NBA. I’m not saying I don’t ever attend MLS games (I do) - but the past decade or two has seen a lot of ‘ups and downs’ (as well as uncertainty) in the sport. That, and it isn’t easy to get behind the Quakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Seattle
774 posts, read 177,211 times
Reputation: 851
Last year, by mid-July the Seattle Sounders were 4-9-5, in the lower realms of the Western Conference.

They added one player... and finished the season 18-11-5 in second place.

D.C. United had a similar turn-around. It's do-able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2019, 10:56 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,310 posts, read 523,741 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Last year, by mid-July the Seattle Sounders were 4-9-5, in the lower realms of the Western Conference.

They added one player... and finished the season 18-11-5 in second place.

D.C. United had a similar turn-around. It's do-able.
It’s doable - but unlikely, for most teams. It’s still no secret the competitive edge is not the same when P&R is removed - as well as the fact the MLS skill level, generally speaking, is lacking compared to other leagues globally. That said, I’m still a fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2019, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Seattle
774 posts, read 177,211 times
Reputation: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I agree the skill level isn’t on par (not so sure I’d label it ‘terrible’); that said, I don’t find the games as ‘fun to watch’ because of this, which is why I asked. I also find our Americanized version (focused on playoffs) makes it less fun/exciting as well. There is nothing else at stake (P&R); and if one’s team doesn’t have a chance to make playoffs, it quickly becomes boring (especially since the skill level is not as high). Competitiveness declines (and thus the fun in watching) once playoff potential is removed (which can happen quickly for many teams).
If the ultimate goal is to get the owners to pony up more money so their team is competitive, relegation isn't going to do it. At least not here in the U.S. What usually happens with sports teams is the attendance decreases, revenues dry up, and the team either folds or is purchased by another owner and relocated. That sucks for the fans, but it's the way things work here. On the plus side, it's pretty easy to make the playoffs in the MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top