U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2019, 01:48 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,310 posts, read 523,741 times
Reputation: 1186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
If the ultimate goal is to get the owners to pony up more money so their team is competitive, relegation isn't going to do it. At least not here in the U.S. What usually happens with sports teams is the attendance decreases, revenues dry up, and the team either folds or is purchased by another owner and relocated. That sucks for the fans, but it's the way things work here. On the plus side, it's pretty easy to make the playoffs in the MLS.
Attendance decreases (and in some cities just remains low from the get-go) when hopes for playoffs dwindle (which is really common in any sport here - but with MLS soccer, it’s even more so because it doesn’t attract the same level of interest as other sports). It becomes about playoffs - and nothing more; and for about half the league, those chances aren’t ‘easy’. Ultimately, what stinks for the (genuine) fans is the lower level of competitive play (the lack of P&R just being one reason of many).

There has been explosive growth in MLS recently; and the more teams are added, it would seem (at least on the surface) it will set the stage (and even be necessary) for P&R. Let’s not be quick to forget the failures/history of the NASL which died in the early 80’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2019, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,721 posts, read 6,670,515 times
Reputation: 12212
The main thing they need to do is attract (and KEEP) young talent.

Having guys like Zlatan, Rooney, and Nani is GREAT, but then knowing that they'll only be around for a few years before retiring is sad.
There is also too big of a gap in class between players, and the teams able to acquire them.
The Colorado coach made a very strong point in this article [https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...gap-class-mls]

Quote:
“The only way it’s going to be a quick fix is if you wave a magic wand at it and throw lots of money at it. Clearly we’re not doing that. I’ll go back to this: Every single game we go into, whether it’s Nani, whether it’s [Wayne] Rooney, whether it’s [Lucho] Acosta — every single week there are players in this league making a difference and the gap in quality is huge …

"There are teams with a lot more quality than us. And that’s what we’re competing against. And no one talks about it.”
Something also needs to be done about the scheduling. Last season, for instance, our top player missed a HUGE chunk of the season due to international duties, and several games could have been won had he been present. It makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,310 posts, read 523,741 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The main thing they need to do is attract (and KEEP) young talent.

Having guys like Zlatan, Rooney, and Nani is GREAT, but then knowing that they'll only be around for a few years before retiring is sad.
There is also too big of a gap in class between players, and the teams able to acquire them.




Something also needs to be done about the scheduling. Last season, for instance, our top player missed a HUGE chunk of the season due to international duties, and several games could have been won had he been present. It makes no sense.
I hear you (and agree) - but scheduling isn’t going to change. It particularly becomes a problem during World Cup trials/games - so much so, it can literally negate their effect on the team. MLS has talked about ‘attracting’ and bringing up young talent for years; top-level players, however, eventually go elsewhere (and return/arrive when they are no longer in their prime). They do not find the same notoriety or salary here (or the same level of competition). Think of the comparison between a Clint Dempsey or Landon Donovan vs. a Lebron James.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Seattle
774 posts, read 177,211 times
Reputation: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Something also needs to be done about the scheduling. Last season, for instance, our top player missed a HUGE chunk of the season due to international duties, and several games could have been won had he been present. It makes no sense.
Yes, those international call-ups can be hugely disruptive, particularly late in the season. Your team gets on a run, but suddenly there's this two week break and the players come back tired (or injured) and the team is now out of sync. I mean it's great that the players get to go and play for their country, but for league play it's mostly a negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 11:06 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,310 posts, read 523,741 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Yes, those international call-ups can be hugely disruptive, particularly late in the season. Your team gets on a run, but suddenly there's this two week break and the players come back tired (or injured) and the team is now out of sync. I mean it's great that the players get to go and play for their country, but for league play it's mostly a negative.
Playing World Cup soccer and representing their country is the priority to the rest of the world; the MLS view is ‘it’s mostly a negative’. This is exactly (one of the reasons) why being on a different schedule than the rest of the world (and different attitudes about soccer) makes such a big difference (and holds MLS back). That said, I know our season schedule won’t change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,721 posts, read 6,670,515 times
Reputation: 12212
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Playing World Cup soccer and representing their country is the priority to the rest of the world; the MLS view is ‘it’s mostly a negative’. This is exactly (one of the reasons) why being on a different schedule than the rest of the world (and different attitudes about soccer) makes such a big difference (and holds MLS back). That said, I know our season schedule won’t change.
Yep. Very unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Seattle
774 posts, read 177,211 times
Reputation: 851
I suspect they could safely move the schedule back a month without significantly impacting the attendance. Start in February after the Superbowl, then start the playoffs in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2019, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Seattle
774 posts, read 177,211 times
Reputation: 851
Christian Roldan's red card has been rescinded, as I thought it might.
https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2019...igible-minvsea
It was a dubious call that was sold by overacting from the LAFC player. We need some type of ham acting award for the sport. Maybe a soccer razzie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,721 posts, read 6,670,515 times
Reputation: 12212
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Christian Roldan's red card has been rescinded, as I thought it might.
https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2019...igible-minvsea
It was a dubious call that was sold by overacting from the LAFC player. We need some type of ham acting award for the sport. Maybe a soccer razzie?
LOL! I wish they'd do something about that. Penalize those performing theatrics. It's ridiculous, and makes the whole sport look "soft" to outsiders, when really, it's FAR from being the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 10:11 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,310 posts, read 523,741 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
LOL! I wish they'd do something about that. Penalize those performing theatrics. It's ridiculous, and makes the whole sport look "soft" to outsiders, when really, it's FAR from being the case.
They do ‘penalize’ dives/flops with a yellow card; but if players could be shown a red immediately, I think it would curtail the theatrics more definitively.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-02-2019 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top