U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 11:07 AM

9,634 posts, read 6,612,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
They do ‘penalize’ dives/flops with a yellow card; but if players could be shown a red immediately, I think it would curtail the theatrics more definitively.
A yellow card at the end of a match could be a game changer if it causes the other team to get a red, especially if it's against a star player. I'd like to see reds issued in blatant cases (such as this one.) Remember when Cavani got a red for barely touching Jara after Jara shoved his finger up his butt? And the team proceeded to lose after that? Jara KNEW that the most he could get would be a yellow, while getting Cavani sent off for practically nothing. Had there been a risk of Jara getting a red for the theatrics, I doubt he'd have dropped the way he did.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 11:32 AM

2,264 posts, read 507,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A yellow card at the end of a match could be a game changer if it causes the other team to get a red, especially if it's against a star player. I'd like to see reds issued in blatant cases (such as this one.)
A ref is always hesitant to issue a red (based on a double yellow), even under normal conditions (yet alone for flopping), in significantly pivotal situations/matches. That said, you don’t see anywhere near the same amount of flopping in WC play vs. MLS. (The old Cavani clip, btw, doesn’t speak to flopping so no thanks - lol).

I agree blatant flops should be issued a red (my previous post) - but your post #29 stated you felt the theatrics should be penalized. I was pointing out flopping can already be penalized with a yellow. That said, I doubt the penalty will change - but agree the theatrics do get old.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-02-2019 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 11:36 AM

635 posts, read 156,183 times
An orange card (stay in game, but miss the next match) would provide more options for a Ref. to remediate inappropriate behavior without ruining a match.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:55 PM

9,634 posts, read 6,612,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
An orange card (stay in game, but miss the next match) would provide more options for a Ref. to remediate inappropriate behavior without ruining a match.
This would be a good idea.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:55 PM

The US U-17 team came in second at the Concacaf Championship, just getting edged out by Mexico in extra time 2-1. They will represent the US at the FIFA U-17 World Cup Brazil 2019.

https://www.fifa.com/news/mexico-mas...-stage-3025280

Note that the US team outscored the competition by 28 goals (whoa!) while winning the Fair Play award. (We're just too darn nice.) Hopefully it's a sign of a youth movement that will boost the MLS down the road.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:43 PM

2,264 posts, read 507,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The US U-17 team came in second at the Concacaf Championship, just getting edged out by Mexico in extra time 2-1. They will represent the US at the FIFA U-17 World Cup Brazil 2019.

https://www.fifa.com/news/mexico-mas...-stage-3025280

Note that the US team outscored the competition by 28 goals (whoa!) while winning the Fair Play award. (We're just too darn nice.) Hopefully it's a sign of a youth movement that will boost the MLS down the road.
Your optimism is great, but the US U-17 team has qualified for its ‘U-17 World Cup’ many, many times (have never won of course); I can’t see where it will have much effect this year either (many don’t even follow the USMNT, yet alone U-17). It will be much more telling (in terms of boosting the popularity of the sport/MLS) to see how our MNT fares the next few years - we MUST qualify for Qatar 2022 after missing the party last year.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-17-2019 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 03:37 PM

I'm not sure whether the U-17 World Cup will be live broadcast on cable or not; certainly there's a lot of sports channels these days with plenty of time slots to fill. In fact they just showed the UEFA U-17 championship this weekend; the Dutch team looked pretty darn good while beating Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer