Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:09 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
A little humility would've been at par for the course. But let's face it, the USA doesn't do all that well in the "humble/humility" department.
Yes. When men are up 5-0, 7-0 max, they switch into holding the ball and dominating possession. They put 50+ passes together while the crowd cheers "ole, ole." They keep control of the game without undue embarrassment of the opponent.

The US ladies didn't have a clue about this standard practice in the sport. Even worse, more than half of the 13 goals were done in the final 3rd with just one pass or two after another Thai mistake or clear Thai fatigue. It looked like bullying and the post-match comments continued to show a complete lack of understanding, empathy and above all - grace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yes. When men are up 5-0, 7-0 max, they switch into holding the ball and dominating possession. They put 50+ passes together while the crowd cheers "ole, ole." They keep control of the game without undue embarrassment of the opponent.

The US ladies didn't have a clue about this standard practice in the sport. Even worse, more than half of the 13 goals were done in the final 3rd with just one pass or two after another Thai mistake or clear Thai fatigue. It looked like bullying and the post-match comments continued to show a complete lack of understanding, empathy and above all - grace.
No men's team has ever done this when goal differential is not locked up. Men winning 4 nil with 2 minutes left still try to score. If a team was so poor that you could get to 13 nil, you go for 14 if there is a chance goal differential can knock you out or force you to play a group winner.

This is the World Cup, winning is all that matters. In this group, its all US and Sweden. Sweden beat the US in the last Olympics. They are a good team. The Us is not sure to beat Sweden. they have to play each game like they need every goal, because if they tie Sweden, assuming Sweden also beats Thailand, it will come down to goal differential. If Sweden lost yesterday, it might be different, but they did not.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:02 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
I seriously can't believe that people have a problem with this, seriously if I was to score a goal in the World Cup I would bloody celebrate even if it was my teams 15th! On a side note its only recently I found out that England now has a ladies team! Now it seems they have women's World Cups too!

Old 06-13-2019, 03:24 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Thailand's left outside back actually seemed like a pretty decent defender. (Was it Natthakarn Chinwong?) Attacks down that side usually got shut down fairly well. They had a capable midfielder as well, and the team looked properly organized. They'd probably make a decent college team.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:28 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I seriously can't believe that people have a problem with this, seriously if I was to score a goal in the World Cup I would bloody celebrate even if it was my teams 15th! On a side note its only recently I found out that England now has a ladies team! Now it seems they have women's World Cups too!
Well what can we say, not everyone appreciates the value of sportsmanship.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Well what can we say, not everyone appreciates the value of sportsmanship.
Well that is certainly true, but what is clear to me is that not many people see the value of math or trying to win a tournament. They instead think its better to stop at 8 nil (or some other number) and give the last team to knock you out of a major tournament, the Olympics in 2016, the chance to knock you into 2nd in the group and have to play a top 5 ranked team in the knockout stage first, instead of a second place team that will likely be outside the top ten. Yeah, that makes sense. Lets give control of our destiny and reduce our chances to win. All teams value sportsmanship over giving your team the best chance to win the tournament.

I mean, seriously, do you even understand how this tournament works.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:48 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Well that is certainly true, but what is clear to me is that not many people see the value of math or trying to win a tournament. They instead think its better to stop at 8 nil (or some other number) and give the last team to knock you out of a major tournament, the Olympics in 2016, the chance to knock you into 2nd in the group and have to play a top 5 ranked team in the knockout stage first, instead of a second place team that will likely be outside the top ten. Yeah, that makes sense. Lets give control of our destiny and reduce our chances to win. All teams value sportsmanship over giving your team the best chance to win the tournament.

I understand very well how the tournament works. The lack of understanding in this conversation is on your part, namely with regard to my specific objection, even though I could not have stated it more clearly.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:01 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post

I don't think you know how this tournament works. 16 of the 24 teams get thru to the next round. So only the 6 fourth place finishers and 2 of the third place finishers are eliminated. The US will likely not need goal differential at all to advance, let alone 13!

Whatever, it's not that big of a deal, the world already knew Americans can be vulgar and selfish.

But I otherwise like this US team, a powerhouse of talent. Meghan Rapinoe is still the soccer genius of the team.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I don't think you know how this tournament works. 16 of the 24 teams get thru to the next round. So only the 6 fourth place finishers and 2 of the third place finishers are eliminated. The US will likely not need goal differential at all to advance, let alone 13!

Whatever, it's not that big of a deal, the world already knew Americans can be vulgar and selfish.

But I otherwise like this US team, a powerhouse of talent. Meghan Rapinoe is still the soccer genius of the team.
The only team that matters in this tournament right now to the US is Sweden. That is it. Sweden beat them in the last major tournament and knocked them out. Sweden beat England 6 months ago, who tied us 3 months ago. To suggest Sweden cannot beat the US team is flat out wrong. They are a dangerous team who can beat us. We have to play the first two games assuming that a tie with Sweden is a possibility. If the tie happens, goal differential is the deciding factor on who we play in the next round. If we win a tiebreaker and win the group, we play most likely Spain, possibly China. If we get the second spot, we play most likely the Dutch or Canada. I think it is safe to say anyone who follows international women's soccer would prefer to play Spain or China ahead of either the Dutch or Canada. The Dutch look incredible now and Canada is a top 5 team. So the US simply must play to win a tie-breaker to get the easiest next round opponent. If you think advancement is all that matters, and not whom we play in the first knockout round, well, you go ahead and do that.

Our opponent in the quarters will likely be brutal. Assuming the higher ranked teams advance, if we win our group we play France in the Quarters. If we come in second, we play Germany in the Quarters. These are the top 3 teams in the tourney, so we have no way to draw a team outside the top 3 in the Quarters. But in the round of 16, I thin kits only good strategy to play to get the weakest opponent. Which is what the US is doing. I hope they put up 10+ against Chili, which I think is almost impossible since they have maybe the best goalkeeper in the tournament. But take every goal you can, win the tiebreaker and advance in first.

On a side note, I think Rapinoe is indeed an incredible player, one of my favorites.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:10 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
All that should matter right now for the US side is Chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer