U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 12:15 PM

687 posts, read 674,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
All that should matter right now for the US side is Chile.
No, not really. That is a cool little sound bite, but when you are playing a game, if you know that you have to win by 3, all that matters is not just the game, but the score too. This happens every world cup. Goals matter. US should concentrate of Chili, and scoring every goal that they can against them. Because they are all adults who can actually think about more than one thing at time. They just need to score as often as possible against chili and hold Chili to as few ans possible. Why, because of The next game, and the next round. Its cool to say that, but the reality is that you think about savings legs for the next match, who the opponent is for that match, and the needs of the matches that follow. These women all want to play 7 games in a month. Most of their leagues play 3, sometimes 4 in a month. Its a lot to ask of the endurance and strength, so the coaches and players think about a lot more than just the next game. They employ a tournament strategy, not just go 100% in each game and worry about the next games later. they do them both at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 03:48 PM

603 posts, read 151,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
No, not really. That is a cool little sound bite, but when you are playing a game, if you know that you have to win by 3, all that matters is not just the game, but the score too. This happens every world cup. Goals matter. US should concentrate of Chili, and scoring every goal that they can against them. Because they are all adults who can actually think about more than one thing at time. They just need to score as often as possible against chili and hold Chili to as few ans possible. Why, because of The next game, and the next round. Its cool to say that, but the reality is that you think about savings legs for the next match, who the opponent is for that match, and the needs of the matches that follow. These women all want to play 7 games in a month. Most of their leagues play 3, sometimes 4 in a month. Its a lot to ask of the endurance and strength, so the coaches and players think about a lot more than just the next game. They employ a tournament strategy, not just go 100% in each game and worry about the next games later. they do them both at the same time.

Not really. Thinking about future games just gets you into trouble. Just beat the team you're facing now, and don't worry about the score unless you're already well ahead.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Not really. Thinking about future games just gets you into trouble. Just beat the team you're facing now, and don't worry about the score unless you're already well ahead.
Coaching and managing is all about balancing current team needs with needs for the remainder of the tournament. Jill Ellis proved it yesterday with her team selection. With the goal differential with Sweden locked up before her game began, all she needed to do was win. She played all her subs, let her front line and back ends rest, and secured the win while giving her five biggest offensive players 90 minutes less on their legs. It had nothing to do with beating Chili. Her easy way to beat Chili is to play her 5 best scorers. They all sat out the entire game. She was both planning for this game, and planning for the next and the rest of the tournament. Had they been not dominating the game at the half, we would have seen Morgan, Heath, Rapinoe, Dunn and O'Hara play. With them rested for an entire game, their legs will last longer in the tournament and be fresh for Sweden this week. Beat the team you are facing now, while planning for the next game. Never think only of one game at a time in a 7 games in 30 days to win soccer tournament. Teams that do that lose. Assuming we tie or beat Sweden, we get the winner of today's Spain v. China match. I am so pulling for China. If we lose, we get the winner of the Netherlands v. Canada game, which finishes right before our game on 6/20. Believe me, we will play that match knowing our next opponent and play accordingly.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:15 AM

21,319 posts, read 21,867,229 times
U.S. needs to pour in the goals and chase the Swedish interlopers from the pitch in humiliation in their upcoming match for long deserved payback for Abba.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:45 AM

The U.S. vs. Chile game was a bit more enjoyable, although still mostly dominated by the U.S. The sublime header by Julie Ertz was impressive, as was the play of the Chilean goalkeeper, Christiane Endler. Without the latter, the score could have been 9-0. Carli Lloyd has now scored in a record six straight World Cup games, and is playing in her fourth World Cup series. Wow.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:35 AM

1,130 posts, read 552,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I LOVE women's soccer. Great game with top athletes giving their all.

Several of the top teams did not look good in their first match, especially Australia in that Italy match. I think this tournament is pretty open. Its USA, France and Germany at the top, but its anyone cup.
I do too. I started watching women's college soccer after the local college football team got caught in a series of scandals involving sexual assault of women. I was one of the few local alumni who believed the women. Many of the fans labeled the women as gold-diggers or attention seekers and heavily disputed allegations of sexual assault (to put it mildly). But I believed the women. This was in Tallahassee.

In my disappointment, I just started watching the college women's soccer in the fall instead of men's college football. It was very fun. One year, the women were playing far out-of-state, and I attended that game. The game with the host university had been sold out and crowded. But the next game a couple of days later was sparsely attended. I was cheering for our team as one of the few fans all the way from Tallahassee. After awhile, I heard a women from the local host college team get up and leave. She had been sitting near me. She muttered to herself "I don't want to listen to him ogle the women". I thought that was such a ridiculous misunderstanding. I actually became a fan of college women's soccer because of the incidents of sexual assault and ignorance of the coach on that college football team. (Those in Tallahassee know all about that). It was ironic the woman would say something like that.

It's not fair to be accused of "ogling" if you simply want to watch sports with women like soccer or softball. In Florida, if a guy wants to "ogle" at women the place to do it would be on the beaches for spring break. As I understand it, there are also "top-optional" beaches near Miami. I lived in Fort Lauderdale for a year and never even went to those beaches. I also lived in FL for over a decade and never went to a beach holding spring break just to "ogle" at the women. There are many guys who do that, but I was not one of them.

So, I really did want to watch the athletic performance. That game was at higher altitude, and I wanted to see if an elite team from sea level could survive the higher altitude in a competitive game. I was curious because I am a mountain runner familiar with Colorado's fourteeners. They were able to handle the higher altitude. It was fun to watch, but that comment from that woman from the host college team was rude. I have not forgotten it. Does that mean women's soccer games should not allow men as fans because the assumption is that they are there only to "ogle" at the women? I don't think so. One of the players on our college team later thanked me for attending. At least she appreciated it.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:13 AM

Women ogle male athletes all the time. I don't think there's anything wrong with guys admiring the physical appearance of female athletes. You can still enjoy the skill level and athleticism.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I do too. I started watching women's college soccer after the local college football team got caught in a series of scandals involving sexual assault of women. I was one of the few local alumni who believed the women. Many of the fans labeled the women as gold-diggers or attention seekers and heavily disputed allegations of sexual assault (to put it mildly). But I believed the women. This was in Tallahassee.

In my disappointment, I just started watching the college women's soccer in the fall instead of men's college football. It was very fun. One year, the women were playing far out-of-state, and I attended that game. The game with the host university had been sold out and crowded. But the next game a couple of days later was sparsely attended. I was cheering for our team as one of the few fans all the way from Tallahassee. After awhile, I heard a women from the local host college team get up and leave. She had been sitting near me. She muttered to herself "I don't want to listen to him ogle the women". I thought that was such a ridiculous misunderstanding. I actually became a fan of college women's soccer because of the incidents of sexual assault and ignorance of the coach on that college football team. (Those in Tallahassee know all about that). It was ironic the woman would say something like that.

It's not fair to be accused of "ogling" if you simply want to watch sports with women like soccer or softball. In Florida, if a guy wants to "ogle" at women the place to do it would be on the beaches for spring break. As I understand it, there are also "top-optional" beaches near Miami. I lived in Fort Lauderdale for a year and never even went to those beaches. I also lived in FL for over a decade and never went to a beach holding spring break just to "ogle" at the women. There are many guys who do that, but I was not one of them.

So, I really did want to watch the athletic performance. That game was at higher altitude, and I wanted to see if an elite team from sea level could survive the higher altitude in a competitive game. I was curious because I am a mountain runner familiar with Colorado's fourteeners. They were able to handle the higher altitude. It was fun to watch, but that comment from that woman from the host college team was rude. I have not forgotten it. Does that mean women's soccer games should not allow men as fans because the assumption is that they are there only to "ogle" at the women? I don't think so. One of the players on our college team later thanked me for attending. At least she appreciated it.

I played through college, then coached since. About 10 years ago I started coaching young women in addition to young men at the club level. I still do. I have been following woso (women's soccer) at the college and pro level since the late 90s. That 99 world cup certainly made me a superfan, even if I was a fan before that. I have written for media outlets small and large. It is an incredible sport and the athletes are incredible people.

While there is no doubt a huge percentage of people associated with woso who see it as a vehicle to support women's rights, just as sports has been a vehicle for moving minority rights forward in various parts of the world including America.

I have never seen anything like what you describe. I think you are dealing with one person with issues. Woso on the whole embraces all fans, regardless of gender, race, sexuality ... i go to a lot of NWSL games, USWNT (flying out for the semis and final in Lyon, France next weekend, and college games. See lots of males cheering. I myself was screaming my head off at the last USWNT game in NJ before the WC. I sit with the American Outlaws, the supporters group, and we have lots of males chanting and acting like fools in support of our favorite national women's team. I do the same at Sky Blue in the NWSL, and in college I go to as many West Point women's games as I can. I cannot tell you how many high school male and female games I attend for the 4 high schools in the area my club resides. Never seen this.

You are talking about FSU? I only ask because I went down there for a game a few years ago. One of the girls I coached went to a florida school and went to see them play FSU. It must be almost 10 years now, but I enjoyed the game and saw nothing like that there. Anyway, I am sorry this happend to you, what terrible feeling to have thrown at you. I encourage you to keep loving woso and ignore this person. Sounds like you just love woso for the great sport that it is. All the best.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:55 PM

2,735 posts, read 3,266,765 times
Tobin Heath is my absolute favorite player! Watching the replay against Sweden. She is the Ultimate Team Player! Love watching her play!

Old 06-23-2019, 10:54 AM

32,221 posts, read 21,091,303 times
3-0 England C'mon you England Lasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or